200 Series Windshield Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Safelite could not do the “calibration” because I modified my vehicle (1 size larger tires) but everything works as advertised without the “calibration”
I think that might depend on whether they unplug the sensors or not. If they leave them plugged in, there should be no need for a calibration (if using OEM glass, which I was told they are).

Last edited:
@wngrog and @HighRanch I dropped the truck off this morning at Caliber. They didn't have me on "the schedule" and didn't have my paperwork. After some futzing on their computer, they found me. Someone is coming out to do the replacement (this jives with what I was told by Caliber phone customer service). I verified with them the OEM glass (to which they said yes, but I doubt anyone actually looked to see if it was there). I also asked them about the calibration and the fact the vehilce was lifted. They said they've calibrated lifted trucks before, so it shouldn't be an issue. They didn't mention LC specifically, so that made me nervous. I also showed them an issue with the A-Pillar trims. I was trying to run wires up to my headliner rear view mirror, and I couldn't get the A-Pillar off. The fabric was glued to the windshield (and I'm now thinking this was due to another windshield replacement earlier in the truck's short life). I asked them to cut the glue holding the A-Pillar(s) so that I could take them off. We'll see if they actually do that or not.

The experience at the shop this morning was not reassuring. I really hope they don't screw this up. I forgot to take pictures per the recommendation from @bloc. Super busy early morning for the family so everyone was a little stressed.

@wngrog and @HighRanch I dropped the truck off this morning at Caliber. They didn't have me on "the schedule" and didn't have my paperwork. After some futzing on their computer, they found me. Someone is coming out to do the replacement (this jives with what I was told by Caliber phone customer service). I verified with them the OEM glass (to which they said yes, but I doubt anyone actually looked to see if it was there). I also asked them about the calibration and the fact the vehilce was lifted. They said they've calibrated lifted trucks before, so it shouldn't be an issue. They didn't mention LC specifically, so that made me nervous. I also showed them an issue with the A-Pillar trims. I was trying to run wires up to my headliner rear view mirror, and I couldn't get the A-Pillar off. The fabric was glued to the windshield (and I'm now thinking this was due to another windshield replacement earlier in the truck's short life). I asked them to cut the glue holding the A-Pillar(s) so that I could take them off. We'll see if they actually do that or not.

The experience at the shop this morning was not reassuring. I really hope they don't screw this up. I forgot to take pictures per the recommendation from @bloc. Super busy early morning for the family so everyone was a little stressed.
Fabric glued to windshield, holy cow run!! Wishing you good luck.

Got the truck back. I think it looks pretty good. One thing in not sure on is the upper molding but I didn't hear any whistling at 66mph. Caliber also said they were able to take off the A Pillar. I'll give it a go later.

PXL_20210719_235921946.jpg

PXL_20210719_235912134.jpg

PXL_20210719_235902343.MP.jpg

PXL_20210719_235852653.jpg

PXL_20210719_235833732.jpg

Update. Horizon Auto Glass did a great job on my new windshield. Installed a Toyota glass. No issues with calibration with the 1 inch larger tires on the truck.

Reviving this thread, b/c now I'm in need of getting my front windshield replaced, and need some advice. I've called all the Toyota service garages in the area, and they outsource, all front & rear windshield replacements because it's considered a specialty. After talking with my insurance company, it's looks like I will have to deal directly with the glass installation company, instead of just taking it to the dealership to have the work done. The problem I'm having is the installation companies don't do the proper calibration that is needed once the windshield is installed, and my insurance company is pushing me to use Safelite, which I don't want to even consider after reading some posts on here. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with my insurance on this matter, and also, other than requesting an OEM windshield, what other parts should I request for the job? I've never had to have a windshield replaced, so I'm kinda in the dark on how to handle this whole situation.

Reviving this thread, b/c now I'm in need of getting my front windshield replaced, and need some advice. I've called all the Toyota service garages in the area, and they outsource, all front & rear windshield replacements because it's considered a specialty. After talking with my insurance company, it's looks like I will have to deal directly with the glass installation company, instead of just taking it to the dealership to have the work done. The problem I'm having is the installation companies don't do the proper calibration that is needed once the windshield is installed, and my insurance company is pushing me to use Safelite, which I don't want to even consider after reading some posts on here. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with my insurance on this matter, and also, other than requesting an OEM windshield, what other parts should I request for the job? I've never had to have a windshield replaced, so I'm kinda in the dark on how to handle this whole situation.
While I have not needed to have the windshield replaced on my LC 200 I have used Safelite to replace multiple windshields on Jeeps and Audis. I have never had an issue with water leaks or noise because of their work. Like mechanics, some are good and some are bad, Safelite locations are surely no different.

What year is your 200? only 2016+ need calibration.
I found a great installer in my area by search the clubhouse section of this forum for my area. I dm another member for the installer name. I filed a claim and provided my insurance company the installer name. The installer contacted my insurance carrier and informed them that my 2013 lexus lx 570 has to have an oem glass.
To my surprise, insurance agreed.

They did a great job on the replacement. The invoice was about $1,700. They replaced all the trims.

What year is your 200? only 2016+ need calibration.
I found a great installer in my area by search the clubhouse section of this forum for my area. I dm another member for the installer name. I filed a claim and provided my insurance company the installer name. The installer contacted my insurance carrier and informed them that my 2013 lexus lx 570 has to have an oem glass.
To my surprise, insurance agreed.

They did a great job on the replacement. The invoice was about $1,700. They replaced all the trims.
My L.C is a 2011. So I will need all new trim pieces as well? I think I'll reach out to the installer the one of the dealerships uses, file my claim, and have the installer inform my insurance that my vehicle required OEM glass. Since you mentioned Lexus, something else I thought about is maybe I should contact my local Lexus dealership, and see who they use to install glass on their vehicles.

I am now part of the group that needs a windshield. My GF took 2 rocks on a recent trip to go with the crack we already had.

While I have not needed to have the windshield replaced on my LC 200 I have used Safelite to replace multiple windshields on Jeeps and Audis. I have never had an issue with water leaks or noise because of their work. Like mechanics, some are good and some are bad, Safelite locations are surely no different.
So the question becomes how do we find the good safelite installers? All will say they know what they are doing. One assured me he had done 3 or 4 80-series landcruisers, and messed mine up.. twice.

The safe bet is to just avoid a company with such a bad track record and find an independent that has a history of good installs and keeping themselves in business through quality work on a variety of vehicles.

@jbyrd78 a good way to find a quality installer is to locate a body shop that does work on high end cars like ferraris and lamborghinis, then ask them who they use. It won't be safelite, trust me. This is how I found an installer in my city that does stellar work.. he also happens to be the guy that does windshields for the lexus dealers in town, so that idea is a good one. I posted his info to the local clubhouse forum and he's done the same for a handful of other cruiser guys already... including 100 series with their notorious rivets.

Reviving and old thread as I have a 2009 LC that needs a new windshield and I'm wondering if I need the mouldings replaced that are mentioned in the 2016+ LX thread? I took it to the shop the dealer uses and they got an OEM windshield approved through my insurance but they said the only part they need is the windshield. Seems like now would be a good time to replace seals and mouldings? They said they just use new clips but everything else gets reused. Thanks for any info.

Reviving and old thread as I have a 2009 LC that needs a new windshield and I'm wondering if I need the mouldings replaced that are mentioned in the 2016+ LX thread? I took it to the shop the dealer uses and they got an OEM windshield approved through my insurance but they said the only part they need is the windshield. Seems like now would be a good time to replace seals and mouldings? They said they just use new clips but everything else gets reused. Thanks for any info.
It is VERY difficult to get the trim out of the clips without bending it. A really good installer may be able to accomplish this, but I guarantee they’ll have new trim on-hand in case the existing parts get tweaked.

Personally if they absolutely refuse, I’d do an extremely close inspection when they give it back to you and if it isn’t as smooth and straight as stock at that point I’d insist on replacement.

The other thing they often do is use urethane to anchor the stainless clip at the top because they already have a bunch of it on hand. Toyota calls for a flexible epoxy, and I’m sure they have their reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom