200 series camper suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That really looks great. We're going back and forth between an "off road" camper like this (and like the Black Series) and 4 season cold weather campers. We're leaning toward the glamping side of things LOL. Tough choices...
Yeah I hear ya. We went down a similar rabbit hole and decided on this because we have two boys (3 and 4) and figured we still had a bunch of roughing it years left, that and we couldn’t see ourselves at a regular RV Park. I will say that this camper has been a glamping experience for us. It’s got AC and heat and we bring our actual full size pillows.

Yeah I hear ya. We went down a similar rabbit hole and decided on this because we have two boys (3 and 4) and figured we still had a bunch of roughing it years left, that and we couldn’t see ourselves at a regular RV Park. I will say that this camper has been a glamping experience for us. It’s got AC and heat and we bring our actual full size pillows.
I had my wife sold on what I consider the best of both worlds - a Bruder. Then she saw the price. They're probably worth every penny but yikes.

Airstream just came out with a larger Basecamp model for 4 - Basecamp 20. Versus previous Basecamp 16ft model. Basecamp 20X, "X" for the 3" lift, front stonegaurd and wrap around window protectors, off-road oriented tires. 3,500lbs base weight.

I think this would be a pretty good active lifestyle, boondocking pairing for the 200-series. Can fit kayaks and bikes inside.

Last edited:
If you want to go offroad and have all the luxery of home, Hot/Cold water, Heat, Toilet, shower then I suggest a Kimberly Karavan. They are pretty expensive as well, but worth it. They now have a local importer in the US, I bought mine directly in 2015 and it was still easy with their import license. The aussies build things to last in the outback. I had several american made campers that wouldnt hold up to even washboard roads.

They also have the less expensive Kamper model. I had a Kamper originally and upgraded to a Karavan. @Bomar just got a Karavan and several other 200 owners have them. There is the larger Kruiser model, but I would'nt take that offroad on a hard trail

here is their web site to look over models. Exchange rate is pretty good right now

Off Road Caravans and Camper Trailers | Kimberley Kampers

As you can see from my thread, I do wheel mine
karavaning-jpg.2316031

If you want to go offroad and have all the luxery of home, Hot/Cold water, Heat, Toilet, shower then I suggest a Kimberly Karavan. They are pretty expensive as well, but worth it. They now have a local importer in the US, I bought mine directly in 2015 and it was still easy with their import license. The aussies build things to last in the outback. I had several american made campers that wouldnt hold up to even washboard roads.

They also have the less expensive Kamper model. I had a Kamper originally and upgraded to a Karavan. @Bomar just got a Karavan and several other 200 owners have them. There is the larger Kruiser model, but I would'nt take that offroad on a hard trail

here is their web site to look over models. Exchange rate is pretty good right now

Off Road Caravans and Camper Trailers | Kimberley Kampers

As you can see from my thread, I do wheel mine
karavaning-jpg.2316031
Just curious, who is the dealer?
We did the research on overland trailers and one truth we kept arriving at was if you wanted something rugged enough to tackle trails and to be comfortable at camp you’d better be prepared to lay down some cash. The Kimberley never hit our radar because of the lack of a dealer but we did get a Conqueror and it’s been great. I don’t think anyone in the US can compete with what comes out of South Africa or Australia when it comes to off road campers yet.

They haven't officially announced it yet, so I don't think I should. Happy to let you know via PM. You also could have done what I did and bought direct from Kimberley as they have an import license. No messy paperwork. I just took it into the DMV with the title and license they sent me and walked out with plates in a few minutes

We had a Kimberley Kamper for 5 years or so, and sold it in 2016. Many great years of medium-hardcore wheeling/camping with it. With some upgrades, we commonly dry-camped (“boondocking” these days, I think) for a week at a time. Worked awesome for our family of 5, and had a very high Wife Acceptance Factor!

For a teaser shot from one of our trips:

Many trips to Moab, the high Rockies and elsewhere.

If repeat customers are an endorsement, we recently purchased a new 200 to go with our purchase of a new Kimberley Karavan.

Escape 19 owner here, been very happy with it. Have towed it with a 4th gen 4Runner and now a 5th gen 4Runner (and currently shopping for a 200 series!). My eyes have wandered, and I've been shopping for a trailer that is more offroad capable, but not because of any dissatisfaction with the Escape. The wife is keen on keeping the Escape, however. I may get a bigger Escape if I move to a 200 series LX/LC.

Oliver and Bigfoot make some high quality trailers, usually made with high quality materials, and end up being a bit heavier and more expensive.
Casita (and Scamps) are more lower budget fiberglass options.
Escape is good quality, but with an eye on weight and cost of materials, which is reflected in their pricing. They offer several sizes, a smaller 17', 19' (I believe the most popular), 21' being a newer option, and a 23' in development. They also have a 5th wheel design that is much smaller/lighter than the typical 5th wheel behemoths found in campgrounds.

Just my $0.02. The Escape trailers have a very active forum if anyone is interested in learning more about them.

IMG_20160609_143236.jpg

Slugs are not that same as buckshot, which is what most people have when carrying a Shotgun. The problem with a typical shotgun is people can’t fire and reload them fast enough, while I’ve drawn my .40 and unloaded 15rounds while you’re still trying to reload. Also, I can almost guarantee the majority of people can’t aim worth a damn under stress. Having a clip allows for a couple misses and many hits. If the Bear grounds you, your long barrel is useless while my handgun allows me to still fire it while I piss my pants. 🤣. Also, my Glock allows me to hold with my firing hand and the bear spray in the other to use first while aiming down on it.

Wow ...

Trailers:

Right now we have the Jeep Extreme Camper . It goes anywhere the LC200 can. Originally got it with our Jeep, and the then when we switch to the LC200 swapped out the 35's for 34's to match.

Does anyone own an OPUS not not been happy with it? I'm looking at the OPUS-15.

Camping with the extreme.. down south, but it has been all-over.

Bottom pic from earlier .. but show how tight it folds up.

It's more of a camp out of your trailer that really can go anywhere the LC200 can. AC, and heater Generator, Water, BarBQ, ARB Fridge. Solar, Propane etc.. and this week added hot water on demand shower setup.

camp-1.jpg

camp-2.jpg

camp-3.jpg

Last edited:
Kimberley Kamper is the land cruiser of campers.
Jeez Kimberley almost makes Patriot campers seem like a budget option. Price aside they look quite nice trailer. Price sheet attached.

I have a Bivouc MOAB Fort XL currently, but am looking to upgrade in the next couple years. Turtleback's really just are too similar to what I have, and kids are getting bigger, so if I am gonna upgrade I'd want something that's really an upgrade. I can't bring myself to sacrifice any capability as pretty much every one of my favorite spots I wouldn't be able to get to with a larger caravan style trailer. That's where the Australian's come in. I've been into Patriot's for some time, hear all their user comments on their Facebook group. 2 things I don't love about them. #1) the only USA dealer is EO in Oklahoma. I get from an Australian perspective if you looked at a US map that OK is central, but with the majority of the industry (and myself) out west it'd be nice to have a dealer for sales and repair closer. I feel I've proven as tough as you can build a trailer, I'm still going to break things at some point. #2 Patriot (and Turtleback and almost all the others) still have not come up with any good solution to the water tank/lines in cold weather camping. Basic view is lower than freezing you can't use the water tank because the lines freeze. So now your are suddenly lugging around a 40 gallon ish empty tank and have to carry your water some other way. Plus the sink is then a paperweight too. I'm not even a huge cold weather camping guy, but i do camp at some high elevations in the SW and it often dips below or well below freezing at night. With 3 kids and a dog our water usage is pretty heavy.

#1 on my radar currently is the new Bruder EXP-4. Teardrop style, but could throw a RTT on top for kids as they keep growing. Crazy suspension system, and still nice and narrow. They ship worldwide, prices (considering) pretty fair. And from their marketing sounds like they have the water lines/tank in the insulated cabin so don't have that issue. They would look like such a sweet setup with a 200 too, what a matching pair. Only thing i dont love is zero US dealers and the crazy proprietary suspension system I feel like this would not be an easy thing to have just any RV repair type of shop work on. Also compared to Patriot such a tint US presence so really nobody to talk to about their experiences. Dunno, thats my 2 cents for now.

Brochure - EXP-4 - BruderX - https://bruderx.com/brochure/exp-4/

Attachments

• Kamper 2020 Detail Price Book.pdf
    288 KB · Views: 144

Are they for sale in the USA now? I noticed them on the Moore list.

I thought they were here then not are they back now?

Jeez Kimberley almost makes Patriot campers seem like a budget option. Price aside they look quite nice trailer. Price sheet attached.

I have a Bivouc MOAB Fort XL currently, but am looking to upgrade in the next couple years. Turtleback's really just are too similar to what I have, and kids are getting bigger, so if I am gonna upgrade I'd want something that's really an upgrade. I can't bring myself to sacrifice any capability as pretty much every one of my favorite spots I wouldn't be able to get to with a larger caravan style trailer. That's where the Australian's come in. I've been into Patriot's for some time, hear all their user comments on their Facebook group. 2 things I don't love about them. #1) the only USA dealer is EO in Oklahoma. I get from an Australian perspective if you looked at a US map that OK is central, but with the majority of the industry (and myself) out west it'd be nice to have a dealer for sales and repair closer. I feel I've proven as tough as you can build a trailer, I'm still going to break things at some point. #2 Patriot (and Turtleback and almost all the others) still have not come up with any good solution to the water tank/lines in cold weather camping. Basic view is lower than freezing you can't use the water tank because the lines freeze. So now your are suddenly lugging around a 40 gallon ish empty tank and have to carry your water some other way. Plus the sink is then a paperweight too. I'm not even a huge cold weather camping guy, but i do camp at some high elevations in the SW and it often dips below or well below freezing at night. With 3 kids and a dog our water usage is pretty heavy.

#1 on my radar currently is the new Bruder EXP-4. Teardrop style, but could throw a RTT on top for kids as they keep growing. Crazy suspension system, and still nice and narrow. They ship worldwide, prices (considering) pretty fair. And from their marketing sounds like they have the water lines/tank in the insulated cabin so don't have that issue. They would look like such a sweet setup with a 200 too, what a matching pair. Only thing i dont love is zero US dealers and the crazy proprietary suspension system I feel like this would not be an easy thing to have just any RV repair type of shop work on. Also compared to Patriot such a tint US presence so really nobody to talk to about their experiences. Dunno, thats my 2 cents for now.

Brochure - EXP-4 - BruderX - https://bruderx.com/brochure/exp-4/
How cold do you think you’d camp? We have a Conqueror UEV490 and it shines everywhere except the cold but we’ve been out to the low 20°s at night and it did fine. I’ve found a few little work arounds can go a long way but going out with sustained below freezing for more than overnight would be a no go. If you want to dip into your power supply there’s always heated pads for reservoirs and heated cables for freeze prone plumbing.

Before we got the Conqueror we entertained a Bruder for a hot minute but skipped for the same reasons you did. I’ve heard tell there are few of them here in the states and I’d like to see one in person just to satisfy my curiosity.

Yup. All the comforts of home and it goes almost anywhere the landcruiser does. Hot showers, Heat. Heaters on the water tanks, Toilet, inside and outside kitchen
Karavaning.JPG
kk.JPG
DSC02687.JPG
20180906_104540.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom