200 series camper suggestions? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tincan45

Too old to know anything.
SILVER Star
Threads
I've started the search for a solid camper for my 200. Something small (19-23ft and less than 6K lbs). I'd like to use it as a base camp when we travel. The only thing stopping my wife from really enjoying our little "adventures" is the lack of facilities. Hotels with a dog is a pain in the rear. The idea of her in a RTT actually made her laugh out loud. :( I really want a 4 season trailer, so I'm looking at fiberglass. I originally had my eye on the casitas, but then I found Oliver trailers. Holy cow, these are nice! Not to mention, they fit the new "Yacht" theme quite nicely. Even found this thread:

Land Cruiser 200 Towing thread | Oliver Travel Trailers

@TeCKis300 even got an honorable mention.

Any other options out there I need to be aware of?

We've got a Forest River R-Pod 172G that has been really great. Ours has bunks and a rear kitchen area that we really like, and it sleeps 4. The Cruiser/Pod Combo is small enough to camp in some sites that aren't RV sites, and we have camped off grid with a small generator. They offer a package with a lift and bigger tires that helps with less improved campsites. If you're looking to spend most of your time outside, it's a nice size compared to larger trailers.

13D35878-8D73-49FA-AACB-7F6FA992A770.jpeg

We are in the same position right now. We are looking for something less than 24' and </= 6,000 lbs that is geared towards off-grid camping. We don't camp in campgrounds. Typically dispersed/primitive locations that are off the beaten path. So it needs to be geared towards off-road travel and able to go wherever my 200 goes. We're a family of 6. We have narrowed it down to a handful of campers...

Leading the way is the Black Series HQ17. We actually went and looked at them last Saturday in Bozeman. Super nice. They are the closest dealer to us. We're in Idaho Falls. There is a dealer in SLC too. It was really nice. Solid, very well put together, rugged, everything we need. Fit and finish was best we've seen. The way the drawers, cabinets, doors open and close...quality. We've looked at a lot of stuff incl. R-PODs, Jayco, No Boundaries, Winnebago micro-minnie among others. The Black Series Caravans are in a class of their own. It's a true Aussie style caravan.

Another one on my radar is Zone RV. Another Aussie caravan. They are just now entering the US market. They've sent a few over. Haven't seem them in the flesh yet. But I've been communicating with one of their directors down under. They are planning to show themselves at Overland Expo West in May. Plan to check them out then.

We also went down to Salt Lake and toured the Bean trailer factory. Really impressed with their off-road teardrops, specifically the Meaner Bean. The nicest off-road teardrops we have looked at to date. Again, fit and finish were next level compared to other stuff we've looked at. Very nice attention to detail, high quality materials and...a solid one piece fiberglass shell...which is probably one of the main reasons we're only now considering the Bean if we decide to go off-road teardrop with a roof top tent. It's a leak proof design. No caulk and no wood.

So our list is pretty short at this point. With RVs/campers...it's a race to the bottom. That's why our list is so short. We've looked at a lot of stuff out there. However, we'll probably still wait util we go to Expo West.

Guy

We have a 17' Casita and it is was great until my boys grew. It became tight for the four of us. The good thing is we bought it used and probably can sell it for what we paid for it 5 years ago. The only down side is the shower since you have to shower over the toilet. I wish it had a separate shower. You can do an outdoor shower. I also found BFG all terrain tires in the small 14" wheel size. We had a blow out with the cheap Chinese tires that were on it when we bought it. They do have a lift for the Casita to raise it a few inches for more ground clearance.

Forest River has a new line call No Boundaries. Check them out...pretty nice rigs.
We have a No Boundaries 10.6 with a roof tent and batwing awning. It's great for us, but pretty minimalist compared to a full scale rv.

Last edited:
This could not have been a more timely thread.

Digging the floorplans of No Boundaries 19.8 and Lance 2185.

Last edited:
I've started the search for a solid camper for my 200. Something small (19-23ft and less than 6K lbs). I'd like to use it as a base camp when we travel. The only thing stopping my wife from really enjoying our little "adventures" is the lack of facilities. Hotels with a dog is a pain in the rear. The idea of her in a RTT actually made her laugh out loud. :( I really want a 4 season trailer, so I'm looking at fiberglass. I originally had my eye on the casitas, but then I found Oliver trailers. Holy cow, these are nice! Not to mention, they fit the new "Yacht" theme quite nicely. Even found this thread:

Land Cruiser 200 Towing thread | Oliver Travel Trailers

@TeCKis300 even got an honorable mention.

Any other options out there I need to be aware of?
Casita all the way. Oliver is nice if you have the budget. I do wish Casita offered a 20’ option...that would be the sweet spot IMHO. Here’s our Casita Spirit Deluxe 17’ from last month’s camping trip:

79B4749A-E6C5-441D-8C71-B248599D0CA0.jpeg

We have a 21' minnie winnie that tows just fine, it's around 3600# empty. Nice rig and comfortable with the slide out. It has a fold down murphy bed that eats up a lot of storage but you get a nice couch when it's up. Really the only downside.

20190905_161221.jpg

Casita all the way. Oliver is nice if you have the budget. I do wish Casita offered a 20’ option...that would be the sweet spot IMHO. Here’s our Casita Spirit Deluxe 17’ from last month’s camping trip:

View attachment 2103988

Great picture! I keep trying to make myself love the Casita, but the interior could be so much better. A wet bath would be a hard sell with the wife too. Carpet on walls seems like the worst idea ever. Everything else about them seems awesome. You are right, the Oliver is a lot of money, but I can't help but think it's like most things in life...you get what you pay for. They may be a bit like the 200, hard to find, owners never sell, and they keep their value. Those are all considerations for me.

Most of the US made trailers are junk, they all use the same crappy toilets, faucets, cabinets, doors, windows, hardware, etc..... Some have better built frames and walls like Livin Lite and Lance but still use crap on the inside. If you have the money I wouldn't even look at anything other than the Black Series.

What surprised me the last time I was in Australia was how much nicer even their Jaycos were, with the amount of wealth in the USA I can't figure out why we don't get the good stuff.

I had a very nice trailer from a very good name brand made here in the USA and it was very disappointing owners experience. I'd probably take a chance on a unit off Alibaba before touching one of the so called nice ones built here ever again.

Great picture! I keep trying to make myself love the Casita, but the interior could be so much better. A wet bath would be a hard sell with the wife too. Carpet on walls seems like the worst idea ever. Everything else about them seems awesome. You are right, the Oliver is a lot of money, but I can't help but think it's like most things in life...you get what you pay for. They may be a bit like the 200, hard to find, owners never sell, and they keep their value. Those are all considerations for me.
Thanks!

There are lots of choices. For us, the Casita is a perfect blend of “glamping” and camping. We spend most of our time outside, but we still have the convenience of A/C and shelter from inclement weather. We don’t cook inside at all, and only use the bathroom to pee. Showers and other bathroom “duties” are done at campground facilities, but if we decide to boondock, we still have the option.

We originally looked at the Airstream Basecamp and Sport models, along with the T@B 400. We really wanted something with little opportunity for roof leaks...that pretty much means Airstream or fiberglass.

The carpeted walls are actually a great idea. Carpet provides a level of sound deadening and insulation, and it can be vacuumed if dirty. Casita has been around a while...if the carpeting created issues they would have changed their construction.

Best of luck with your search. Attend an RV show if you haven’t already. We saw the T@B at a show and thought we had made our decision. Two days later we saw the Casita and changed our minds.

Maybe the Canadians have it figured out?

If you haven't noticed, I'm really leaning toward a fiberglass camper.

@ckkone yep most US made campers are junk. They make them that way on purpose. They’re typically made to last 5-6 years. So they can get you in a new one.

We went to a RV show last month. Almost everything was junk. The cheapest of the cheap. I’d be caulking everything as soon as I got home with it. Terrible. Water intrusion pretty much guaranteed.

Which is why we’re leaning heavily towards the Black Series Caravan. It’s in its own class. Nothing else like it on the US market right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom