200 and LX 570 Roof Rack Photos or Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have a rack for an lx570?

B, I do.

Flat, Expo or Lo-Pro basket or any combo in between.You'd want the Flat or Expo to use with a RTT and I'll customize to your liking as well.

As always, free shipping to the lower 48 to a business address.

Here's the Lo-Pro basket for 8 mounts.

J

img_20170117_110844718-jpg.1384704

Large tube lower Expo on a 100.

img_20161106_114904085-jpg.1347741

Basic flat for 6 mounts.

IMG_20170213_093129233.jpg

I personally use it with a James Baroud RTT and that pretty much occupies the entire rack and some.

But there are a bunch of options on how to mount thing to it. It is basically am "80/20" product and they have an entire catalog of stuff for it.

Amazon.com: 80/20 - Hardware: Tools & Home Improvement

80/20 Inc. - T-slotted aluminum framing system

I'm curious how you attach stuff to these Prinsu racks...since I don't see a gap to reach under to the cross beams. ??

Sweet, how do you like the Yakima?

So, the truth is that we haven't had a chance to actually sleep in the Yakima yet! But I have driven quite a few miles and in very inclement weather and strong winds with it on top and it did great. And we have climbed around inside and done the setup and takedown enough to know that for our intended purposes it will work well.

Which brings up the topic of intended purposes and why even have an RTT. So here are my thoughts.
  • An RTT provides an option if you don't want to sleep on the ground and if you don't want to configure the interior of the truck to sleep 2 people and if you don't want to pull or pay for a trailer. That's a lot of "ifs" but it fits us
  • An RTT also works well enough if you aren't planning on your tent being the centerpiece of your camp setup for more than a night. Because, obviously, if you want to drive anywhere you need to stow it. Not a bit deal if you are semi-overlanding or moving from night to night or have a camp setup this is centered around a dining fly, firepit, table or whatever. Setup takes about 3 minutes. Stowing it takes 5-10 depending on whether it got wet and whether you are using the rain fly.
  • An RTT of course adds weight to the top of the rig but this particular model - the 2 person (or medium) size Yakima weighs only 95 lbs for the full kit. Again, I didn't even notice it was on top while driving from Oregon to Colorado in very strong cross winds going 80 mph. (Of course any big box on the roof rack is going to affect gas mileage but I was still getting around 15 mpg on that drive.)
Our intended use? Short trips (1-2 nights) where it isn't worth bringing the 24' travel trailer and the weather will be relatively warm and dry. Sort of a, "Hey, let's go up to XYZ this afternoon and do a hike tomorrow." or "The kids want to go camping this weekend at ABC and the trailer won't fit so let's throw the RTT on top." or "Looks like a week of great weather in ... so let's go drive the ... road and use the RTT for a couple of nights of dispersed camping." ("Us" being my wife and I.)

Other notes that make this work for us. First, I have a ceiling mounted lift in the garage and, yes, I can drive in with the RTT on top. So when not in use it is lifted off the roof rack and stored there. We only put it on when we need it. It takes about 15 minutes to get it lowered, lined up and secured. Far less time than driving to our trailer and hitching it up! Also, the only thing that goes in the tend it our sleeping bags which can remain in the tent when folded. And, yes, a few essentials like headlamps, a change of clothes, bear spray and my wife's iPad. All the other camping stuff is in the truck or secured/covered on the ground/table. And, finally, when the tent is on top of a rack with a "floor" (like our Gobi) you can use it to climb on top and have a place to sit should you want a more elevated view of your surroundings. This we have done. ;)

Oh, and it only cost me $800 with my 20% members discount at REI.

This is on the more subtle end. I disliked the stock LX570 rack as it was on the shorter end of useful length. The LC rack by comparison extends about another 12". Which is useful for ski and roof box mounts for example.

View attachment 1459464

So i called GOBI today. (great customer service) They cannot say for sure that the stealth rack will fit because they have never mounted one on a Lexus 570 and differences could exist.
It occurs to me that if you could interchange and transplant a 200 series rack onto the Lexus 570 then they must share the same mounting points.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the mounting points on a Lexus 570 and 200 series are indeed the same? A GOBI stealth rack that fits the 200 Series should fit the Lexus 570?

Thanks

Same. They are absolutely interchangeable as proven by the LC200 rack on my LX570. This has always been true from the 80-series to 100-series, and now.

The LX variants have always been Land Cruiser's upfitted with higher end gear.

Only variables are potentially rear spoiler and antennae fin interference. But the US market LC200s have those too.

I think I saw an earlier post on this thread or the other roof rack thread where some put his LC rails on his LX. I would assume it was easy to do that because the holes are the same.

Maybe you could drive to Govi's location here in Denver and have them do the install which takes about 2 hours and they do it for free. Take some nice back roads along the way. You of course would want to drive the route north through Moab and then along I70.

Also, if you go with the Gobi I highly recommend the removable bars option. Great flexibility. I have my RTT mounted on two of them so I can just lower it onto the rack. I may get a third because I leave those two bars on my RTT.

So i called GOBI today. (great customer service) They cannot say for sure that the stealth rack will fit because they have never mounted one on a Lexus 570 and differences could exist.
It occurs to me that if you could interchange and transplant a 200 series rack onto the Lexus 570 then they must share the same mounting points.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the mounting points on a Lexus 570 and 200 series are indeed the same? A GOBI stealth rack that fits the 200 Series should fit the Lexus 570?

Thanks
Gobi told me the same. I took photos for gamiviti and we confirmed they are the same. I have a rack from them sitting in my driveway trying to find time to install. :/

Any opinions on front runner? Slee recommended that one.

I really like my Gamiviti. Tim will customize it however you'd like. Mine has light bar tabs in front, and I notched holes in the fairing.
IMG_0962.JPG

upload_2017-5-16_11-41-25.png

This is on the more subtle end. I disliked the stock LX570 rack as it was on the shorter end of useful length. The LC rack by comparison extends about another 12". Which is useful for ski and roof box mounts for example.

View attachment 1459464

funny, also disliked the small rack on the LX and never understood why they did this. It would not work with my thule 2100 so I also had thought about getting an LC rack but then being in the same town Tim I grabbed a Gamiviti instead. Also the feet for the LC and the LX570 are the same.

IMG_4476_zps3wypbbqf.jpg

^Nicely done.

It is funny that the LX is fitted with a smaller rack. This has been true going back to at least the 100-series. Too bad because the LC rack surely doesn't look out of place on the LX as you can see in my pic. The newest 2016+ LX's now have a full length flush rail which avoids this issue completely I believe.

While I love the expedition look, I have no intent to 'kit' out my own car in that way. For fundamental reasons that I want balanced performance and firmly believe in keeping weight off to the extent possible. I may go so far as a hidden winch along with what I have now at most.

But it's also getting at aesthetics. Looks great when it's all built out with a balanced look like above. But terrible when I see an otherwise stock car with a ridiculous expedition basket hanging of the roof.

Looks great when it's all built out with a balanced look like above. But terrible when I see an otherwise stock car with a ridiculous expedition basket hanging of the roof.

I have to agree with that. Wish I had enough $$$ to do the full expo build all at once.

Hey, we've all got to start somewhere so not judging that. I'm more getting at cars out there that look like this:

prius.jpg

I'd rock that Lambo. Legit 4WD ski trip vehicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom