1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 fuel filters in a row...ok?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by sproggy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sproggy

sproggy SILVER Star

So...I am running some Sea Foam through my fuel system and was worried it would dredge up a bunch of gunk from the tank and plug up my new OEM fuel filter (and of course you can't see into that one to know how gunked it might be). So I installed a see-through fuel filter in front of it to catch any gunk. So far, no gunk -great. I'm wondering however if there is any downside to two fuel fliters. Can I just leave it in or will it tax the fuel pump more than just one meaning I should pull it? On that note, any reason I need to pay xtra money for an OEM filter rather than just using the much cheaper plastic one?

Thanks!

2. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

YMMV. if the truck starts bucking on heavy acceleration or inclined, you will have your answer.

drnekFJ40 and liko like this.
  3. liko

liko SILVER Star

your mileage may vary. i like it. i run a fuel injected early 90's ford fuel filter (smaller micron) before my oem glass filter. no problems, yet...

4. Ken White

Ken White

Should be no dramas running two fuel filters. I know a lot of people here in Aust run two especially if they are travelling outback as there it a great chance of getting dirty fuel. It is a lot cheaper to run two filters than to replace an entire engine.

cult45 likes this.
  5. sproggy

sproggy SILVER Star

I've actually had it in for at least a week and have not noticed any change. And it's always full of fuel but I suppose being first in the fuel line coming from the tank it would. I sure like that it's transparent compared to the OEM filter where visually you can't determine if it is clogged or not.

6. 65swb45

The early LC elements were/are the best. Element mounts vertically in a simple, modular housing. Driving provides a shaker effect where all the larger partiticulate matter shakes off of the filter and settles in the bottom of the housing. Beautifully simple.

Rigger, Spike Strip and 78Landcruiser like this.
  7. sproggy

sproggy SILVER Star

Earlier than '71?

8. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

I put a monster FRAM screw on filter on my FJ55 and it works fine.

sproggy likes this.
  9. 65swb45

Yup.

sproggy likes this.
  10. cult45

cult45 SILVER Star

I ran three for a period - no issues. Recently I let one get dirty and it clogged up the carb. Extra filters no worries in my books.

sproggy likes this.