1KZ-TE 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was just about to ask that question...

but later could convert over to the KD head, induction and exhaust system?

I think it's a shame toyota never released such an engine.
1KZ block and mechanical VE injection pump.
1KD direct injection heads.
Mechanical injectors, direct injection head and pistons.

Dunno if the conrods will fit the 1KD pistons and there'd be some head-scratching to fit it all together. But you'd get most of the 20% economy gain from 1kz-1kd while picking up more power and still have s simple to work on engine.

Kind of like the Isuzu 4JB1T but toyota.:D

I was hoping for a weekend warrior 4runner. A mid 1990's model. Moderate lift and up to a 33" tire. Daily driver with long trips and lots of hills and a few steep inclines. Some wheeling here and there and maybe instead of driving one of my cruisers to a club event I could just take the 4runner.

I am aiming for better fuel economy when compared to a petrol engine. I dont drag race my trucks. I might push them hard from time to time but mostly drive it like a family tractor. The saved five or ten minutes arrival somewhere isnt worth the fuel or safety.

So thats why I was putting a feeler out for this engine. I wanted to see if it was going to be a nitemare of a motor or something that is a drop in and not worry about.

Personal opinion here, but if you are going to do an engine swap, do it because you want to, not because you get x better than y etc. Especially when x engine gets y economy and z engine gets y+1 economy. Eventually, it will end up to the break even point in time and money invested into the project something along the lines of 10-15 years or more down the road, thereby making it a moot point to not just drive more efficiently. I'm not saying you shouldn't ever do a diesel swap, just think about it a bit more than, oh, I'll get better mileage, it's quite a bit deeper than that.

take the fuel economy of the gasser 4 humper and then the fuel economy of the engine you are thinking of installing.
subtract the two.
now figure the cost of the engine you are going to buy and the install (time is money) and double that figure.
now how long is it going to take to pay off the swap?

add the idea of banking for a new head install (roughly $4K). IF you don't need it then that is money in the bank, if you do need it then it is already in the budget.

if this cost is what you can accept then go for it. if it is lunicrice to do the swap then take that money and go buy a tank of gas and go for a relaxing drive.

in the end it is your money, your time and only you and your wife to keep happy.

1KD-FTV are certanly Common rail engines, with variable vane turbo system .. they use one ECU for the car devices and other for the engine/injection .. if come in a auto version of the fortuner or hi lux another ECU for the tranny ..

I just like diesels over petrol engines. So the cost of converting a truck in the States to use a diesel engine is not an issue for me.

I do how ever want to know exactly what I am getting into when it comes to this engine. Last thing I want is a lemon after putting all that work into the conversion. I do all my own work other then machine and some welding.

You can't polish a turd. So the only real moot point is if this motor is a turd.

so...
shop for a PZ and install it instead. you can find an old mine truck for the engine and tranny combo. the tranny is the same (AFAIK) as the 4 humper uses.

I will never choose a 1KD-FTV for a swap .. too new electronic and complicated engine .. I have 2 old school turbo diesel engines and I love 'em .. it just simple depends your target ..

just IMOP ..

I will never choose a 1KD-FTV for a swap .. too new electronic and complicated engine .. I have 2 old school turbo diesel engines and I love 'em .. it just simple depends your target ..

just IMOP ..

Have you driven many modern commonrail diesels?
The next car I buy will have one (to fit with my old school turbo diesel and my semi-modern EFI diesel).

Most modern diesel I ever owned was the 2002 VW Jetta TDI. Awesome diesel car. Very nice powerband and drives like a gasser. But still gets a good mid 40's in the city and mid 50's on the highway.

Most modern diesel I ever owned was the 2002 VW Jetta TDI. Awesome diesel car. Very nice powerband and drives like a gasser. But still gets a good mid 40's in the city and mid 50's on the highway.

I've test driven a couple of 2.0 TDI's lately (vw and audi) and been extremely impressed.
I still think the hyundai i30 1.6 diesel is a serious contender too. At 90km/h you can get it reading 3 litres/100km. That's about 90 BMPG.

I wish we had more diesel selections here in the States.....

Also where can I hunt for mining truck engines and parts? I keep trying searches on google, yahoo, and the likes with no luck. Is there a direct purchase site to rid ourselves of the middle man, or an auction site so we can bid direct from the companies, military, etc...?

you just have to keep searching for it. they don't come up often. hook up with the mining sites in the US and Canada. usually they are selling them as scrap so inexpensive.

the nice thing is they can be run off one wire.

Have you driven many modern commonrail diesels?
The next car I buy will have one (to fit with my old school turbo diesel and my semi-modern EFI diesel).

yes .. off course ..several fortuners, hi lux, patrols, and 200 series cruiser with the pretty powerfull 1VD-FTV

all awesome engines .. but still not my taste .. I woudl prefeer an old school engine to play . those engines are ready, nothing ( or almost nothing ) to do ..

Just plug a power diesel chip ( I've triying from Diesel Power Dieselpower Chiptuning ) and drive it ..

don't get me wrong they push hard .. just are more prone to fail .. ( at least here those 1KD-FTV )

yes .. off course ..several fortuners, hi lux, patrols, and 200 series cruiser with the pretty powerfull 1VD-FTV

all awesome engines .. but still not my taste .. I woudl prefeer an old school engine to play . those engines are ready, nothing ( or almost nothing ) to do ..

Just plug a power diesel chip ( I've triying from Diesel Power Dieselpower Chiptuning ) and drive it ..

don't get me wrong they push hard .. just are more prone to fail .. ( at least here those 1KD-FTV )

There have been cases of 1KD injector issues here too. The 200 diesel didn't impress me that much. I guess I read the numbers first and expected it to go better.
The VW/Audi 2.0tdi I like the most and it has the best "big torque" feel, the ford 2.2 felt like it started to pull higher in the rev range (I haven't seen a torque curve). The Hyundai/Kia 1.5/1.6 diesels still impressed me the most.

I will need a plugin power chip when I turbo my work car, it's currently 2.2 EFI but no turbo.

Was looking into a 1KD. Once I read up on how the common rail system works, looks like a nightmare if anything went wrong with it. Runs at ~30,000 psi, that kind of pressure combined with even the smallest amount of dirt would be a disaster. Finding someone to service a JDM common rail system here in the US might be next to impossible. That, and the 1KD is hard to find, unless its a complete wreck from somebody hitting a kangaroo or something in Australia. So, a complete vehicle say $5000, + shipping ~$3,000, plus the aggrivation you are likely to get from customs, it just wasn't worth the trouble. For some reason diesel half-cuts have all but disappeared in the US.

Here are common those injector issues ( injector coper washers ) in the 1KD-FTV ..

A lot owners complain about the noise of the 1KD injectors when cold.
Im not sure about about the 1KD ,but someoe was quoted $7000AUD for injectors in his V8 diesel 79 series,which is also common rail D4D.
Apparently you cannot repalce the nozzles like the older type.

Apparently you cannot repalce the nozzles like the older type.

tha's correct as far asi I know .. and pretty expensive here too ..

seems as each generation of engine passes the cost of rebuild/parts goes up expotentially. you would think that as each engine design was developed they "could" make them easier and cheaper to repair.

<of course, this is not good business sense since most money made by vehicle manufacturers is in parts and service BUT it would be nice to think the manufacturers gave a s*** about the consumer>

seems as each generation of engine passes the cost of rebuild/parts goes up expotentially. you would think that as each engine design was developed they "could" make them easier and cheaper to repair.

<of course, this is not good business sense since most money made by vehicle manufacturers is in parts and service BUT it would be nice to think the manufacturers gave a s*** about the consumer>

People who buy new cars get 1-5 year warranties with them. They are not thinking of the suckers driving them 10-15 years from now.
I wish Toyota could have stuck to the old 70 series design. There is a lot of mysterious stuff under the new V8 bonnet:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom