1KZ-TE 4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did the search. But now I want to ask dirrect.

How well designed are the JDM 1KZ-TE engines? Common breaks? Common issues? Enough power for a mid '90's 4runner diesel conversion? Projected fuel economy?

I just feeling this out right now. I want to see if it is worth buying this engine and going forth with a conversion.

The roads here are flooded with them.

Only common issue seems to be cracked heads, once replaced they seem fine.
Fuel economy depends how you drive them, but approx 25-30mpg (imperial).
Power, enough to light up the rear wheels in 2wd.

Price to do a clutch in a manual one seems ludicrous.

I was hoping for a weekend warrior 4runner. A mid 1990's model. Moderate lift and up to a 33" tire. Daily driver with long trips and lots of hills and a few steep inclines. Some wheeling here and there and maybe instead of driving one of my cruisers to a club event I could just take the 4runner.

I am aiming for better fuel economy when compared to a petrol engine. I dont drag race my trucks. I might push them hard from time to time but mostly drive it like a family tractor. The saved five or ten minutes arrival somewhere isnt worth the fuel or safety.

So thats why I was putting a feeler out for this engine. I wanted to see if it was going to be a nitemare of a motor or something that is a drop in and not worry about.

From what I gather the 3VZE to KZT is a fair bit of work, but not terrible. Bit of fabrication to move motor mounts and possibly transmission mount. Also, without the wiring harness (on the KZTE) the wiring can be a nightmare. ToyotaDiesel.com has a few successful conversions posted up. All in all everyone seems happy with them. The head issue is something worth taking into account, then again the 3VZE is famous for head issues, usually gaskets. The other issue is the bell housing, the release lever comes out on the opposite side of the gasser, they are not unobtainium though. dieselHead.net - home usually has some, he's a good guy I've bought stuff from him before.

a turbo diesel 4runner....nice. I would have to admit I love the looks of a 2nd gen 4runner. I just wish mine dident have a sunroof, such a stupid thing. one more thing to leek.
The 3VZ is a dog, but a slow and reliable one. I bought mine used with 137K on the clock and dont know the state of the head gaskets, if they were replaced under the recall or not. I figure when this one bites the dust a nice 5VZ can go in its place.
But if I had access to a 1KZ that would be better...

If you're going to the hassle of a diesel swap, see if you can find a 1KD-FTV powered donor vehicle.

Fuel consumption reports about 20% less on the 1KD (direct injection vs indirect on the 1KZ) combined with 20% more power and it's difficult to cheer for the 1KZ.

Hmm... I thought I posted another question.... ?

Oh well here it is again.

How can I tell what year this JDM 1KZ-TE is? Maybe the serial number on the engine?

And did all 1KZ-TE's have bad heads and is there a fix to eliminate the problem?

And did all 1KZ-TE's have bad heads and is there a fix to eliminate the problem?

I know the early ones (like 96) have issues and thee 03 onwards ones don't.
From there I don't know where the divide lies. The fix is to see if it blows, if it does you fit a new head which won't do it again.

are you SURE the replacement heads are stronger?
on the L series the 3L head was claimed as the cure, litterally hundreds of heads were installed in Canada... then failure rate for the 3L head came to light. expensive lesson for those that listened to the "pro's".

i am not saying a new head will not cure the problem, what i am asking is "Are you SURE about this statement"

No,they did not all have bad heads and the ones that do mostly fail at over 200000klms.
They are a very popular engine in the countries where they are sold.
The diesels really hold their value over the gassers

The problem is not like the 2LT cyl head

are you sure?
the more these are showing up in NA the more cracked heads are being reported.

<when i started the research on the L series there was "some" mention of the weak head. once they started arriving in Canada then the real story was revealed.
similar to the BEB issue of the HDT, at first there was little info and Toyota Oz denied any problems. now it is a well known fact. the L series head problem is a well known fact. the true story of the KZ is just coming to light.
once again i will repeat. "do not invest money that you can not afford to loose" this goes for engine installs as well.>

The problem is not like the 2LT cyl head

are you sure?

<when i started the research on the L series there was "some" mention of the weak head. once they started arriving in Canada then the real story was revealed.
similar to the BEB issue of the HDT, at first there was little info and Toyota Oz denied any problems. now it is a well known fact. the L series head problem is a well known fact. the true story of the KZ is just coming to light.
once again i will repeat. "do not invest money that you can not afford to loose" this goes for engine installs as well.>

I have not heard of any repeat failures, nor failures in any of the later produced 1KZ's.. This is nothing like the L series situation.

They have been around since 96 and well thrashed (tested).

Australia was not a big recipient of turbocharged L series engines, hence the response you received.

are you sure?

Australia didnt get the 1KZ T until late 95 AFAIK. Maybe the earlier versions were more unreliable.
My brothers 97 model did 220000 klms through desert conditions with his job in the Pilbara and Kimberley regions before the head went.
The repair bill was under $2k ,not bad considering it was fixed in a remote area.
Plenty of others had never had any trouble with 400000klms on the clock

It is still a big seller in its 1KD FTV form in the Hiace, Hilux and Prado
Most vehicle with alloy heads blow sooner or later and the 1KZ/1KD is not the worst of them by far

It is still a big seller in its 1KD FTV form in the Hiace, Hilux and Prado
Most vehicle with alloy heads blow sooner or later and the 1KZ/1KD is not the worst of them by far

The 1KD-FTV is a direct injection engine (common rail I think), so it's a completely different head design without the precombustion chambers which seriously weaken the heads.
So it's really only the bottom end they share with the 1KZ.

The 1KD-FTV is a direct injection engine (common rail I think), so it's a completely different head design without the precombustion chambers which seriously weaken the heads.
So it's really only the bottom end they share with the 1KZ.

I was just about to ask that question...

but later could convert over to the KD head, induction and exhaust system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom