1KZ-TE 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

makes me think of the newer ford trucks with their "full hub" replacement instead of the old bearing replacment... just $$$$$. of course you never know about the change till a few years down the road when you suddenly need to change it out. WTF?! "too bad, this is what you need. $$ please"

Yeah, just like newer V8s, instead of one ignition coil, each cylinder has its own ignition coil. So changing the spark plugs goes from a 1 hour job to a 6 hour job.

The 1kz engines did not have the head cracking issues of the previous "L" series diesel engines. The 1kz's are fantastic engines with excellent powerbands. For those interested in a DIY conversion, unfortunately the 1kzte is not a bolt-on type swap. They require a substantial amount of frame work as well as considerable wiring know-how to be successful. These engines are computer controlled so to get that functionality, you'll need to be quite handy in wiring as well as fabrication. We do swaps professionally so stop by the site sometime to check out some completed swaps : www.dieseltoyz.com

-Todd

The 1kz engines did not have the head cracking issues of the previous "L" series diesel engines.

It's not as prolific as the L series, but the earlier 1KZ's do crack heads.

he is in the business of selling engine installs, of course he will deny any head cracking issues.
the main reason the head issue is not as noticable in NA could be because of the extremely low numbers of these engines here.
the L series head issue was not that common till the Canadians started importing them by the hundreds then suddenly the issue was important. it is just this year that Canadians have had the opportunity to import them but the import boom is dead and so the numbers of KZ engine equiped trucks are not being imported.
when i get calls from people traveling though California about the cracked KZ heads it does make you wonder... i would love to beleive the KZ was the next great replacement, it is supposed to have excellent power, fuel economy and a very tough bottom end.
but
i won't take the risk.

Ahremmm... I find it funny how people with no personal experience can be so dismissive. I come from Denmark where we have a lot of 1KZ-TE engines in, amongst others, the 90 series. There has been cases of cracking heads, but as pointed out by others who now and drive these engines it is no way nearly as bad as the 2LT. And not enough to give the engine a bad rep.

All Toyota diesels I know of, from the B series up, have crackedd heads occasionally. I have two 2H engines with cracked head, just as an example.

About the price on the 1KZ head, go on ebay and have a look, they're not that expensive...

We are actually fitting a 1KZ-T in to an old Volvo 6x6 as we speak, so I have complete confidence in the engine. But am aware that a head might be on the budget at some time.

there is a difference between
"there is NO issue"
and
"yes, there can be an issue"
to
"damn right there is an issue"

i would install a KZ before a L series... (but then you can buy a LOT of gas before you paid for the swap to a diesel). also, i would be completely honest with the customer and warn them of the possible issue and take preventive action before driving it. full gauge package, larger exhaust, higher boost, larger rad. but then that is me...

there is a difference between
"there is NO issue"
and
"yes, there can be an issue"
to
"damn right there is an issue"

i would install a KZ before a L series... (but then you can buy a LOT of gas before you paid for the swap to a diesel). also, i would be completely honest with the customer and warn them of the possible issue and take preventive action before driving it. full gauge package, larger exhaust, higher boost, larger rad. but then that is me...

I have heard of them cracking heads but its no where near as prolific as the L engines.
If they do crack,its a matter of fixing and forgetting because they are highly unlikely to go again.
The diesel Prados with the 1KZ T/E hold there value very well,which is a strong sign of faith in the vehicle.
The diesel varient is always $2k dearer on the used market in OZ.
In a landcruiser market the size of oz,bad news travels quick and yet it has been voted best 4wd many times over.

You should buy one Wayne and satisfy yourself:D

when i am shopping in Japan and i see the KZJ78 selling for the same money as the HZJ77... i will put the money into the HZJ77.
IF i could get one cheap enough to use as a personal test vehicle then i would have no problems putting through the paces. i seem to have the ability to find a vehicles weak spots fairly quickly.
IF the KZ stood up to the testing then the 78 would be a perfect vehicle... in my mind.

The abovementioned issues are true.
We chose the 1KZ-t for a number of reasons.

1. Size, it fits nearly perfect for us
  2. Power, it has enough strength for our use, without risk of damaging axles
  3. Noise/vibration, it is a very civilized engine, balancing axles and all
  4. Cost, it ended up costing us 382$ incl. R150F gearbox and all

when i am shopping in Japan and i see the KZJ78 selling for the same money as the HZJ77... i will put the money into the HZJ77.

I would probably take the HZJ77 too .
I was actually suggesting a 1KZ T engine only. Ive often thought they would make a really nice swap into a stripped down 40.
I think it would beat a 1HZ T or similar away from the lights;)
You would be getting close to the 90/95 series soon.

MAYBE i will do that, stick a KZ with tranny into a 40 or 70 and see what i can discover...

as fast as a HZT eh? interesting...

as fast as a HZT eh? interesting...

I think so ,but only for a 100 meters or so.
The real benefits would be in fuel economy and having less weight on the front end would make it nicer to drive;)

Btw I just spend 1½ hours talking to a knowledgeable guy at Toyota about differences on the R family gearboxes. But I also asked about the reliability of the 1KZ engines.
I know some of you will point out that his job is to tell that there's no problems at all, but he seemed very honest.

He told me that they have had a few issues and changed some heads, but nothing as bad as with the old 2LT.

He also told me that a thicker headgasket solved the problems.

just FYI...

:)

diesel swap

mini pig,

i too am in the same quandry. was thinking and planning on swapping a 22re out for a 3L due to the simplicity if the swap and the fact that the 3L is the most reliable of the series. however, after doing some research on that engine it seems as though a head failure does exist and would pretty blow the budget and therefore negate a sensible decision as well aa piss me off. after some more research i think it might be a better solution to buy a decent diesel model landcruiser and plan to up grade the engine for a 1hz and know that it will stand the test of time and you will get your time and money out of it. just my two cents

a thicker head gasket also drops the compression ratio...

now, this makes me ask, IF it is a HEAD cracking issue (and not a GASKET cracking issue) then how does a thicker head gasket solve that problem? the head coolant flow has nothing to do with the thickness of the gasket.

just asking...

I'd try a 1KZT in a heart beat, from all my research there have been some problems but nothing like the L as everyone says. I'd like to get a 96 prado when they are available - for the wife, but the prices are redonculous for them now, will wait and see what happens.

I have been checking out some youtube videos with cruisers running the 1KZT - they rock pretty good.

LOuis

a thicker head gasket also drops the compression ratio...

now, this makes me ask, IF it is a HEAD cracking issue (and not a GASKET cracking issue) then how does a thicker head gasket solve that problem? the head coolant flow has nothing to do with the thickness of the gasket.

just asking...

A thicker head gasket is also going to change the amount of squish, which can have a bad effect on combustion in some engines.

Why does a new head gasket fix it? Well I'm guessing you'd never install a new gasket with a cracked head.:D

ummm, hopefully not...
but then the cracking is between the valves so the new head gasket is ... redundant.

to me, the Toyota tech's explaination sounds more on the BS side than realisticly explaining the situation... Techie mumble jumble... how does that go? "baffle them with BS"??

Well I'll try to give the explanation that he gave. But first he admitted that it had been a long time since they had one in for a head job. nobody here drives 10 - 12 year old cars to the brand-name mechanic...

He said that the different thickness gaskets had to do with piston clearance. The pistons should supposedly go so high up that top actually could go above the block. According to him the mechanics had to measure the height with a micrometer and shim out the height with the gaskets. So if they just went with the thickest one, there were no issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom