Builds 1HNDRD build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a couple of wiring pics.. I'll post more next time I work on it..

PXL_20210410_221033769.jpg

PXL_20210410_221323044.jpg

After dark I tested them and I like the pattern of the sides/rear but I'm not loving the front yet..

PXL_20210411_022654251.jpg

PXL_20210411_022704193.jpg

PXL_20210411_022714033.jpg

Other random things..
- I spent a while reading almost the entire MUD thread on Airlift 1000 installation.. I have most of the components already and this is one of the next projects. I may also do rear spring spacers as I have permanent sag since our overloaded trip last summer.
- I removed the FJ40 gear shift knob pictured earlier.. It just wasn't as awesome as I had envisioned..
- Equipt failed to order the jump seat covers from Escape Gear when I placed my order.. I received everything else (eventually) but still waiting on the cleanup order.
- I need to replace the primary battery... I'll go with an Interstate, just researching the models
- still waiting on Icon to send the wheels..
- will get the rear bumper drilled next week for the trailer plug..
- has anyone ever relocated the factory reverse camera??

Overall I'm feeling pretty good about my project list for this season.. Should be able to wrap it up in not too many more Saturdays. Looking forward to heading west in July..

Nebraska
South Dakota
Montana
Oregon
Utah
Colorado

💥

Yes.. Unfortunately the 80 is sold.. She was a beauty but it just wasn't practical for me to have 3 projects right now on top of everything else.

I will have another 80 some day.

So a big disappointment today... 😖
I had an appointment with a local fab shop to drill the hole in my bumper for the trailer plug.. He said he had a mag drill and it wouldn't be any problem. I dropped it off and told him that it's a fairly high-dollar bumper with powder coat so please be careful. I even gave him the opportunity to decline if he was uncomfortable with doing it. He reassured me that it would not be any problem...

Well, apparently all mag drills are not created equal or some people don't give a crap or something.. 🤬
He called me a couple of hours later and told me I'd probably need some touch up paint. The mag drill had "moved around a little" and "scratched" the powder coating..

When I got there to pick it up I figured out real quick this was more than "touch-up".. Totally unacceptable.. The drill must have been sliding around the whole time. The hole wasn't even round! What a mess... 😤

PXL_20210415_225628675.jpg

Well...
First thing I did is called Slee and asked about matching touch-up paint. They referred me to their paint supplier.
I also stopped at a body shop to get their input on fixing it..
Currently considering painting options..

In the mean time I cleaned up the hole as best as I could with my step bit and file..

PXL_20210416_012923784.jpg

I'll get it all looking good I think but the worst part is that I won't have powder coating on that section of the bumper..

Oh well..

It is what it is... :bang:

On a more productive note, I got the trailering plug all assembled and ready to install.. (actually installed it and then removed it for the paint repair)
The factory pig-tail is only a foot long or so. I cut it in the middle and added a piece of 7-wire trailer cable in between.
I also had to remove some of the plastic material from behind the plug flange so it would insert into a round hole..
PXL_20210327_193141624.jpg

PXL_20210323_010905127.jpg

PXL_20210416_011125979.jpg
PXL_20210416_012157981.jpg
PXL_20210416_012513691.jpg

<continued>

Next I drilled and tapped the bumper to mount the plug using 6mm SS bolts.
PXL_20210416_014909579.jpg
PXL_20210416_015615925.jpg

Plug it in under the truck and should be good to go... (after the re-paint😡)

PXL_20210416_015545254.jpg
PXL_20210416_015513207.jpg

PXL_20210416_015654110.jpg

In other news.. After a ton of time spent trying to find answers on rear springs and airbags... I ordered OME 2863 springs (will remove the Slee Heavies) for an additional inch of height. (I've got a permanent sag in the back since she stays halfway loaded most of the time)
Also ordered the Airlift 60808 kit and returned the Firestone bags I had purchased earlier..

Installation will hopefully occur in the near future..

😎

So a big disappointment today... 😖
I had an appointment with a local fab shop to drill the hole in my bumper for the trailer plug.. He said he had a mag drill and it wouldn't be any problem. I dropped it off and told him that it's a fairly high-dollar bumper with powder coat so please be careful. I even gave him the opportunity to decline if he was uncomfortable with doing it. He reassured me that it would not be any problem...

Well, apparently all mag drills are not created equal or some people don't give a crap or something.. 🤬
He called me a couple of hours later and told me I'd probably need some touch up paint. The mag drill had "moved around a little" and "scratched" the powder coating..

When I got there to pick it up I figured out real quick this was more than "touch-up".. Totally unacceptable.. The drill must have been sliding around the whole time. The hole wasn't even round! What a mess... 😤

View attachment 2646775

Well...
First thing I did is called Slee and asked about matching touch-up paint. They referred me to their paint supplier.
I also stopped at a body shop to get their input on fixing it..
Currently considering painting options..

In the mean time I cleaned up the hole as best as I could with my step bit and file..

View attachment 2646776

I'll get it all looking good I think but the worst part is that I won't have powder coating on that section of the bumper..

Oh well..

It is what it is... :bang:
I guess I'm just surprised you didn't do this action yourself mate. Your skills and attention to detail have been demonstrated time and again. Hindsight is always 20-15. Your step bit did a wonderful job...in the clean-up department. ;) The mounting block would be able to cover anything you might have scratched/chipped. Did Slee recommend you go the route you took?

I actually started the hole with my step bit but quickly figured out that it was woefully inadequate.. I then purchased another step bit in hopes that I could alternate between the two for each step before they would be completely dull.. When that failed also, I gave up and found a local fab shop with a mag drill. These guys do excellent work on the products they build but I guess this was outside of their zone or the just didn't care..

I think if I could have found a good quality step bit with a 2inch capacity, I could have done it myself and everything would have been golden..

I'm going to let the body shop look at it in person today and see what they say..

I actually started the hole with my step bit but quickly figured out that it was woefully inadequate.. I then purchased another step bit in hopes that I could alternate between the two for each step before they would be completely dull.. When that failed also, I gave up and found a local fab shop with a mag drill. These guys do excellent work on the products they build but I guess this was outside of their zone or the just didn't care..

I think if I could have found a good quality step bit with a 2inch capacity, I could have done it myself and everything would have been golden..

I'm going to let the body shop look at it in person today and see what they say..
It's going to look great...you will see to that and on another positive note, you've allowed someone else to put the first scratches on the Slee... :rofl:

Didn't get a lot done on the hundy today..
Just added 2 more rock lights. Still haven't connected all the wires.
I didn't like the light pattern with 6 lights (too much shadow in the front tire area) so I added 2 more for a total of 8. Haven't tested yet...

PXL_20210417_192855150.jpg
PXL_20210417_193112856.jpg
PXL_20210417_200541890.jpg

Also.. I scored a really heavy duty used work table with a vice for my shop.. Already loving it..

PXL_20210417_150920866.jpg

Finished the rock lights yesterday.. Originally was planning on 6 but ended up adding 2 more mid-project. Turned out pretty good. I expect it to be a very useful camping enhancement.

PXL_20210424_212928197.jpg

PXL_20210426_002714456.jpg

PXL_20210426_002751252.jpg

PXL_20210426_002925961.jpg

PXL_20210426_002958625.jpg

I finally got around to installing the seat covers... Got the front row installed and I've gotta say they are not super impressive. I was under the impression that they would be very snug and form-fitting but that isn't the case. Also the edges and some of the finer details just have a bit of a sloppy fit/finish.. These are Escape Gear from Equipt...
Since Equipt messed up the original order, I am still waiting on the 3rd row to arrive.
I'm gonna use these for a week or two and see if I start liking them better. I do like the idea of having the leather protected and having washable seats (although removing/reinstalling these won't be fun) I also like the side pocket.. Looks cool and seems like it'll come in handy.

PXL_20210502_005942643.jpg

PXL_20210502_005915652.jpg

PXL_20210502_005828297.jpg

PXL_20210502_005849219.jpg

PXL_20210502_005952130.jpg

I also had a chance to try to resolve the bumper hole fiasco...
So I have an appointment at the body shop next week but I got the Slee-recommended paint and I thought if I could get a good result I'd save the money..
The paint is a good match but I ran in to a couple of challenges.
First, the surface of the steel is pitted and scratched from the mag drill. It's tough to get it smooth like the rest of the bumper.
Second, I couldn't decide if it was better to mask off a defined area and end up with edge lines or try to blend it in over the powder coat.. I sort of tried it both ways and I'm not sure yet what it will look like when I remove the tape.. I definitely know that it has lines though.
I figure if it just doesn't look great I can have the body shop fix it..

PXL_20210501_232544945.jpg

PXL_20210502_011721463.jpg

PXL_20210502_011748609.jpg

PXL_20210502_014445791.jpg

Honestly, I'm looking forward to moving on to something a little more exciting..

🤙

I also had a chance to try to resolve the bumper hole fiasco...
So I have an appointment at the body shop next week but I got the Slee-recommended paint and I thought if I could get a good result I'd save the money..
The paint is a good match but I ran in to a couple of challenges.
First, the surface of the steel is pitted and scratched from the mag drill. It's tough to get it smooth like the rest of the bumper.
Second, I couldn't decide if it was better to mask off a defined area and end up with edge lines or try to blend it in over the powder coat.. I sort of tried it both ways and I'm not sure yet what it will look like when I remove the tape.. I definitely know that it has lines though.
I figure if it just doesn't look great I can have the body shop fix it..

View attachment 2662574

View attachment 2662575

View attachment 2662576

View attachment 2662577

Honestly, I'm looking forward to moving on to something a little more exciting..

🤙
Have you ever tried red sanding puddy? Wet sanding it tends to blend scratches with a low shrink rate... https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Glazing-Putty-5DYY5

Have you checked into Marathon seat covers? I have a set on order for my Tacoma. Supposed to be top notch. Worth a look.

This morning I stopped in at the body shop and showed them what I had done on my bumper. I asked them if they thought they could make it a lot better and they said probably a little but they would have to repaint a large area.. I opted to work with it a little more myself and call it good.
The worst part is the line behind the license plate where I had masking tape... (under the "S" in "State"...) No real good way to blend it in. Also the area where the mag drill was "mounted" is still pitted slightly but this is as good as its gonna get.
PXL_20210504_012705591.jpg

PXL_20210504_012646168.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom