1FZ-FE Rebuild w /Aftermarket Parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly it is a perfectly fine rebuild kit. OEM is better but that is all solid decent quality parts. I would use oem parts myself but if your on a budget that will work.
If you look at the HG pictured at the back of #6 cyl water jacket (between the rear head bolts it has 2 triangular holes instead of Toyota's newer "improved" gasket which has 2 very small round holes. This is why I would use at least an OEM HG. Rings thread Please post: Thoughts on aftermarket piston ring choices for 1FZ-FE rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/please-post-thoughts-on-aftermarket-piston-ring-choices-for-1fz-fe-rebuild.884750/

If you look at the HG pictured at the back of #6 cyl water jacket (between the rear head bolts it has 2 triangular holes instead of Toyota's newer "improved" gasket which has 2 very small round holes. This is why I would use at least an OEM HG. Rings thread Please post: Thoughts on aftermarket piston ring choices for 1FZ-FE rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/please-post-thoughts-on-aftermarket-piston-ring-choices-for-1fz-fe-rebuild.884750/
Great point, and thanks for the link. Wonder if Fel-Pro does that...

Last edited:
Did you ever do a rebuild? If so, what was your luck with sourcing a kit or parts?

Great point, and thanks for the link. Wonder if Fel-Pro does that...
I have the Felpro H G on mine. I had a valve problem to deal with. The Felpro does have the smaller, round water passage holes behind #6. My engine has 255000 on it. P O installed the S C around 50000. I did HG at 180000. Still runs fine, and I flog mine to redline frequently! I would not hesitate to use Felpro again. We have also used Beck Arnly and Victor Hienz H G on other 1fzfe engines with good results. They all look identical so they MAY all be from the same manufacturer.

Now that I'm into sourcing parts, I find it's actually somewhere between difficult and impossible to build a stock-ish FZ engine using quality aftermarket parts, because--for the most part--they just don't exist. Manley makes valves, but not the rest of the valvetrain. There's Supertech for valves, springs, seals, but the springs are way over stock. Manley makes forged rods. CP-Carillo makes forged rods and pistons. JE makes forged pistons. Brian Crower, I think, can do complete rotating assemblies. I used to think Toyota was expensive...

I'm unaware of anyone making non-forged pistons for this application, other than Safety Auto and DNJ, which sells 6 for $200 (hard pass). Couple of companies making head gaskets, Cometic obviously. ARP studs to replace head bolts. But, man, that's about it as far I can see...

Last edited:
Anyone aware of quality aftermarket master cylinder compatible with ABS, or ps reservoir? IIRC there are folks here using Wilwood and PSC reservoirs...

What on earth for? OEM is cheap
Cheap is not my criterion. Based on the high quality of many of your posts, I'm pretty sure it's not yours, either. So, as John Dutton might say: Not what I asked...

Dnj makes pistons that are cheap

Did you ever do a rebuild? If so, what was your luck with sourcing a kit or parts?
If that means me, yeah; 25 years ago. Ford 460 and 426. 460 aftermarket was like a candy store at the time, seemed like you had a half-dozen options to suit any need. (I was really kind of hoping this would be like that too.) 426 was all Mopar so single-source and ridiculously expensive.

Dnj makes pistons that are cheap
Thanks. I'm actually looking for high-quality aftermarket, where it can be found. Aside from forged pistons (which I don't want to use because they wear the bore 2x faster, increase blow-by and make noise, and cost you a fortune to do it), I'm not seeing any really good cast / hypereutectic options for a standard bore.

Only candidate I know of is Safety Auto hypereutectic, but I know nothing of their quality and even finding a price is difficult...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom