1FZ-FE Rebuild w /Aftermarket Parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Okay, most of us are oem fetishists--but surely there are those who've done rebuilds using aftermarket components (including internals)? Any recommendations (threads, parts lists, whatever)?

Last edited:
There are aftermarket kits out there, but I'm not sure you're going to get much feedback from people here about them. I (and I like most ih8muders) use these two simple metrics when choosing when to use aftermarket parts:
  1. How hard is it to replace the part if it breaks? (lowest end of the scale would be as simple as changing a gas cap, on the other side of the scale you have something like replacing a rod bearing or piston)
  2. If the aftermarket part fails will it strand me in BFE?
So when it comes to the 1fz-fe, which if cooled correctly will last 500,000 miles easily, I see it as too much risk to save a few hundred dollars on aftermarket parts on an engine for it to be a question mark in terms of long term reliability. Realistically a failed engine is going to end up costing me far more in; towing, parts & labor than the cost of just doing it with the right parts the first time around. When it comes to maintaining my 80's I've been bitten by the "aftermarket parts bee" too many times, in those cases I ended up having to buy the part again but for more $ since it was OEM. So I've learned my lesson, buy once cry once.

But if you are just trying to breathe life into an engine to sell it then I see no problem with using aftermarket gear.

Last edited:
There are a few threads on here. Especially if your bores and crank are still within spec (measured) NPR appears to be oem rings and there are several good bearing options. At a minimum I'd use an OEM HG if using aftermarket gasket set. I'm sure any of the aftermarket longblocks use DNJ, etc parts. I'd be curious on the long term life of one of those engines too. There are some quick overhauls- rings, bearings, gaskets RB theread.

All your remanned type engines use exclusively aftermarket (chinese) parts. They only change what is out of spec too when rebuilding. I have even seen them where the china parts cost more that say Aisin parts! 😂

I have seen these remanned 1FZFE come in the shop with not many miles in them. Leaking fluids all over the place.

You know what they say, you get what you pay for.

Cheers

All your remanned type engines use exclusively aftermarket (chinese) parts. They only change what is out of spec too when rebuilding. I have even seen them where the china parts cost more that say Aisin parts! 😂

I have seen these remanned 1FZFE come in the shop with not many miles in them. Leaking fluids all over the place.

You know what they say, you get what you pay for.

Cheers
Wouldn't consider reman; speculating more on full rebuild of stock block, using high-quality aftermarket parts. I mean, that's dirt-common with other vehicles, although those engines aren't expected to run for 500k miles, and breaking down doesn't leave you stranded in Death Valley...

There are 2 types of aftermarket parts...

1.) Cheap crappy built to a low price point

2.) Better than OEM quality parts.

Which type of aftermarket are you talking about?
Best available. If better than oem, awesome and I'd love to hear about them. Been a long time since I built an engine...

Pistons aren't rocket science anymore and in an engine like a 1fz you could probably get away with oak for a material. Boost is a different story but low end pistons work great in our engines. Seals, bearings stuff like that is where you want OEM at the least. IMO there isn't a lot of aftermarket stuff out there that is that appealing to use in a rebuild unless you are pushing it hard with turbo.

i used clevite bearings and DNJ pistons in one. runs great.
I remember Clevite being the go-to bearing. Never used DNJ, thanks for the tip. What else are you running?

How about this ?

Pistons aren't rocket science anymore and in an engine like a 1fz you could probably get away with oak for a material. Boost is a different story but low end pistons work great in our engines. Seals, bearings stuff like that is where you want OEM at the least. IMO there isn't a lot of aftermarket stuff out there that is that appealing to use in a rebuild unless you are pushing it hard with turbo.
Plan to s/c. Can't do that with the current engine because I don't know the history. Any thoughts on oem or better aftermarket?

I rebuilt mine 100k ago used factory 10 over Pistons and head gasket. Rest of the parts were whatever the machine shop used. Still running strong. Supercharged with a couple months ago. No issues so far.

i would just SC it. and run it til it needs rebuild
Considering the other surprises left by the PO, I'm not inclined to pursue that route... :)

I understand.
But, once the supercharger been installed and running. There's really not that much more work to do to take it off if you have to pull the motor out to rebuild it later. Just 10 more bolts, a couple vacuum lines, and an extra belt. might add 30 minutes take a removal process. and your planing on rebuilding it anyway.

I understand.
But, once the supercharger been installed and running. There's really not that much more work to do to take it off if you have to pull the motor out to rebuild it later. Just 10 more bolts, a couple vacuum lines, and an extra belt. might add 30 minutes take a removal process. and your planing on rebuilding it anyway.
True--but the idea is to rebuild a second motor as and when I can swing it. I'd like to avoid that whole Oops-have-to-rebuild-today thing. Then there's the matter of finding a CA-legal s/c in decent condition...

How about this ?
Honestly it is a perfectly fine rebuild kit. OEM is better but that is all solid decent quality parts. I would use oem parts myself but if your on a budget that will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom