1FZ-FE Newbie w/big problem (no oil pressure) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Read the thread about the WIX filters. My question is why even take the risk? The Toyota filters are readily available and as cheap as any other filter. If you don't change your own oil, just bring your own filter and ask for a discount for the filter they would have provided.

I normally use Toyota filters and have a case full. Only last change used a WIX filter that I had on the shelf. I have noticed absolutely no difference but I also havent hooked up a gauge. Im just wondering if blame is being placed in the wrong place. Seems a little overboard

I normally use Toyota filters and have a case full. Only last change used a WIX filter that I had on the shelf. I have noticed absolutely no difference but I also havent hooked up a gauge. Im just wondering if blame is being placed in the wrong place. Seems a little overboard
There have been several reports here of people using the WIX filters and then experiencing major engine problems on trucks that didn't otherwise have those issues. That's enough circumstantial evidence for me. It's not really that overboard, it's just an oil filter. 5 bucks is 5 bucks and if I am going to be spending that much anyway on an oil filter, I am going to use one that everyone trusts. I don't use Fram oil filters anymore for the same reason. People are free to use their trucks as guinea pigs, but I have put a ton of time and money into my motor and if using a Toyota filter mitigates the chances of having any of the issues that WIX users have reported, I will sleep that much easier at night. YMMV.:meh:

There have been several reports here of people using the WIX filters and then experiencing major engine problems on trucks that didn't otherwise have those issues. That's enough circumstantial evidence for me. It's not really that overboard, it's just an oil filter. 5 bucks is 5 bucks and if I am going to be spending that much anyway on an oil filter, I am going to use one that everyone trusts. I don't use Fram oil filters anymore for the same reason. People are free to use their trucks as guinea pigs, but I have put a ton of time and money into my motor and if using a Toyota filter mitigates the chances of having any of the issues that WIX users have reported, I will sleep that much easier at night. YMMV.:meh:

What evidence is here showing the filter failed? Its a filter. the bypass valve failed? Construction? Or something else terribly wrong. Millions of people use these filters so I would like a little evidence. Its the same thing as saying “I’ll never use that type of oil ever again, one time I lost an engine on it” when it was an engine problem rather than an oil problem.

What evidence is here showing the filter failed? Its a filter. the bypass valve failed? Construction? Or something else terribly wrong. Millions of people use these filters so I would like a little evidence. Its the same thing as saying “I’ll never use that type of oil ever again, one time I lost an engine on it” when it was an engine problem rather than an oil problem.
Nobody is telling you that you have to change anything. Between this thread and the one below, WIX filters are dead to me. I really never used them anyway and I buy Toyota filters five at a time for both of my trucks. If you like WIX filters, feel free to use them it's your truck.

If you're using a WIX oil filter read this

Nobody is telling you that you have to change anything. Between this thread and the one below, WIX filters are dead to me. I really never used them anyway and I buy Toyota filters five at a time for both of my trucks. If you like WIX filters, feel free to use them it's your truck.

If you're using a WIX oil filter read this

You are missing the point. I use Toyota filters. I am asking if there is any evidence other than what people have speculated on. These filters are constructed extremely well internally and if there is a manufacturing anomaly that is something. But I am not going to be hysterical because of a random guess.

You are missing the point. I use Toyota filters. I am asking if there is any evidence other than what people have speculated on. These filters are constructed extremely well internally and if there is a manufacturing anomaly that is something. But I am not going to be hysterical because of a random guess.

This is a excerpt from the original WIX thread:
"I couldn't believe my ears, but nevertheless I talked to the district manager and he explained to me that they would not be able to do anything about it but he would like to look at the filter. Luckily I had kept it and all its contents because when he looked at it he discovered the bypass valve had not been installed like it should have been in my filter. He said he believed I got an oil pressure surge from the valve sticking open in my oil pan and since the filter had no bypass valve to help keep the drain back valve from being loose it dislodged and blocked off the filter totally.
He also said if the filter had the bypass valve none of this would have happened because the drainback valve would have not been able to come off. He also said that if the filter had been assembled correctly my motor would be fine but since I had already cut it and it was the wrong filter they would not warranty anything. So I'm left with a roached motor."

That appears to be some damning evidence of a manufacturing defect - the WIX rep discovered that the bypass valve had not been installed.

I haven't had a chance to cut my filter open yet but I'm pretty sure I will find something - filter only had a few hundred miles on it and it didn't stop flowing oil for no reason.

This isn't a thread to crap on WIX - I posted originally to ask for help dealing with my low/no oil pressure problem - turns out it was my WIX oil filter. It also seems that a few other 80's series owners have also had problems with WIX recently. Use that info how you will. I tend to be an optimist but even I am not willing to use the 10 remaining WIX filters I have left sitting in my garage.

I am honestly puzzled. Millions of people are using WIX filters every day and virtually every NAPA shop is mounting them to vehicles. Where is the factual evidence that these oil filters are responsible for the failures and not the time they were mounted, how they were installed, or any other factors?

I am just trying to find real evidence as to why I should stop using these filters when they have served pretty well.

I think you should keep using the Wix filters! I wouldn’t listen to anyone on here. It’s not like @Trollhole is an expert that has probably worked on thousands of Land Cruisers or something. I mean, he only showed video proof.

Search. Google. Or keeping buying sh!t that is known to fail and risk it. Who cares? But if you expect people to find you more proof that has been documented on Mud than you’re looking in the wrong place.

I think you should keep using the Wix filters! I wouldn’t listen to anyone on here. It’s not like @Trollhole is an expert that has probably worked on thousands of Land Cruisers or something. I mean, he only showed video proof.

Search. Google. Or keeping buying sh!t that is known to fail and risk it. Who cares? But if you expect people to find you more proof that has been documented on Mud than you’re looking in the wrong place.

As a correction I do actually use Toyota filters but I’m just asking a question. I am not saying anybody is wrong. What makes this forum what it is is the ability to have a discussion without insulting others. How would we learn otherwise?

I read the thread but was not aware that a defect was indeed found. So now I know.

This is a excerpt from the original WIX thread:
"I couldn't believe my ears, but nevertheless I talked to the district manager and he explained to me that they would not be able to do anything about it but he would like to look at the filter. Luckily I had kept it and all its contents because when he looked at it he discovered the bypass valve had not been installed like it should have been in my filter. He said he believed I got an oil pressure surge from the valve sticking open in my oil pan and since the filter had no bypass valve to help keep the drain back valve from being loose it dislodged and blocked off the filter totally.
He also said if the filter had the bypass valve none of this would have happened because the drainback valve would have not been able to come off. He also said that if the filter had been assembled correctly my motor would be fine but since I had already cut it and it was the wrong filter they would not warranty anything. So I'm left with a roached motor."

That appears to be some damning evidence of a manufacturing defect - the WIX rep discovered that the bypass valve had not been installed.

I haven't had a chance to cut my filter open yet but I'm pretty sure I will find something - filter only had a few hundred miles on it and it didn't stop flowing oil for no reason.

This isn't a thread to crap on WIX - I posted originally to ask for help dealing with my low/no oil pressure problem - turns out it was my WIX oil filter. It also seems that a few other 80's series owners have also had problems with WIX recently. Use that info how you will. I tend to be an optimist but even I am not willing to use the 10 remaining WIX filters I have left sitting in my garage.
Thanks for sharing. Makes a lot more sense now

As a correction I do actually use Toyota filters but I’m just asking a question. I am not saying anybody is wrong. What makes this forum what it is is the ability to have a discussion without insulting others. How would we learn otherwise?

I read the thread but was not aware that a defect was indeed found. So now I know.
I think people are taking the tone they are because you are being kinda stubborn. We've all said that you can use whatever you like. If the evidence provided isn't enough for you to come to the same conclusions we have, it's a free country and nobody cares. This forum tries to look out for one another and that's all this is. Nobody is going to Perry Mason this down to damning, irrefutable proof that WIX filters seem to have some quality control issues that could be contributing to the premature demise of our motors, but there is enough circumstantial evidence for some of us to steer clear of them.

To answer your question I do recall a recent thread in the past 3 or 4 months where someone posted about a Toyota filter made outside of Japan, I believe Thailand that had issues similar to what has been posted related to Wix filters. For years there have been many debates about the the superiority of Toyota filters manufactured in Japan versus Toyota filters manufactured elsewhere in the world.

To answer your question I do recall a recent thread in the past 3 or 4 months where someone posted about a Toyota filter made outside of Japan, I believe Thailand that had issues similar to what has been posted related to Wix filters. For years there have been many debates about the the superiority of Toyota filters manufactured in Japan versus Toyota filters manufactured elsewhere in the world.

I truly wish I could get my hands on the 20004. Dont we all. Currently my only option is the D3. Or the 15600-41010, but that filter is hard to come by.

^^^^^ Yep. I believe this is #4, that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Not saying that 'Wix' as a company or their products are bad, but it seems some number of filters have caused problems for their consumers. ANY company can experience such things as 'bad runs' or a few items getting out the door not up to 'spec'.

So...what I look to, is what does the company do about it once consumers come forth with a complaint.

The other thing that is a bit troubling....is that if 3-4 of our members have had issues (if legit), we represent a very small part of the buying public that use those model Wix filters. So....the problem (if it truly exists) is on a larger scale than just reported here.

Personally, I run Motorcraft filters (made by Purolator) on all of my vehicles...including my Toyota's. Easy to find, priced right, work great...always.

To the OP: I would encourage you to contact Wix and go through the procedure to have the 'suspect' filter tested.

I've gone down the path of working with WIX to resolve my no oil pressure issue... their first response was to ask why I was "using diesel engine oil in my vehicle" as if that was somehow a contributor... next their official and final response for denial was the use of a 1348 in my lexus LX450 was a "misapplication" and their visual inspection came up with nothing. I now have proof they can also do a flow test, but chose not to perform one with mine... this shows 2 different occurrences so far where there are both testing inconsistencies, and dishonesty. Why would an honest company cherry pick testing parameters, and also close a claim on the grounds of "misapplication" of their product even though it's easily proven the Toyota and Lexus have the exact same engines??? I'm now under the belief their warranty department is aware of the problem and they're about to realize we've caught their tricks in how they validate and reject issues from being their fault...

I’ve had my LX450 for about six months and put on a few thousand miles on it. The PO had done an oil change just before purchase and seemed like a good, reasonable mechanic, so I didn't change any of that. Oil pressure hovered around the second mark normally (from the bottom) and peaked at the third line under throttle.
One day about two weeks ago, at idle, the needle didn't hover much above the first mark, only getting halfway to the second mark under throttle. I stopped driving it mostly and planned to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. Before finding a gauge, I decided to put fresh oil and a filter on it.
The filter I pulled off was a WIX. I had heard of the problems with those filters but had not thought to check my own. I then put fresh 5W40 Mobil One Turbo Diesel oil in it and a new Toyota filter. Oil pressure is immediately back to normal.
Just wanted to share my experience. It's a bad filter. Never again.

I’ve had my LX450 for about six months and put on a few thousand miles on it. The PO had done an oil change just before purchase and seemed like a good, reasonable mechanic, so I didn't change any of that. Oil pressure hovered around the second mark normally (from the bottom) and peaked at the third line under throttle.
One day about two weeks ago, at idle, the needle didn't hover much above the first mark, only getting halfway to the second mark under throttle. I stopped driving it mostly and planned to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. Before finding a gauge, I decided to put fresh oil and a filter on it.
The filter I pulled off was a WIX. I had heard of the problems with those filters but had not thought to check my own. I then put fresh 5W40 Mobil One Turbo Diesel oil in it and a new Toyota filter. Oil pressure is immediately back to normal.
Just wanted to share my experience. It's a bad filter. Never again.
I'd be curious to know if people are reporting these issues on other forums for other cars, or is this mostly confined to these motors? I would say this trend is alarming enough that WIX might want to do something before this becomes something they have to deal with the court of public opinion via the media.

I'd be curious to know if people are reporting these issues on other forums for other cars, or is this mostly confined to these motors? I would say this trend is alarming enough that WIX might want to do something before this becomes something they have to deal with the court of public opinion via the media.

I just alerted the Studebaker forum about it. So, I'm sure it will spread like wildfire now..........................:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom