1FZ-FE Newbie w/big problem (no oil pressure) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Malleus OP stated in original post that he had mechanic put mechanical gauge on it, so that elimanted sending unit and/or wiring.
Not really, as noted in the next post, the mechanic's readings were possibly within spec. I'm with the crowd that thinks the gauge wiring or sending unit is faulty.

@Malleus OP stated in original post that he had mechanic put mechanical gauge on it, so that elimanted sending unit and/or wiring.
From what I read, he had no combo meter gauge, and the mechanic's gauge read low.

The combo meter gauge will read low when the pressure's low, but it won't work at all if there's no current.

That's two different problems. One sounds electrical, the other sounds like an uniformed mechanic/customer.

EDIT:
@-Spike- beat me to it!

Hey guys - OP here. Thanks for all your help and replies - great community here. Special thanks to those who brought the recent problems with the WIX 51515 to my attention.

Turns out that it was as simple as a faulty WIX filter. I feel stupid for not checking the filter first - I thought "it's a WIX - what could go wrong?" Apparently my mechanic thought the same thing - said he would have checked the filter but noticed it was a WIX and thought "why bother". We both feel pretty stupid now (he should feel stupider - he's a professional mechanic for f sake).

Spun a new filter on and oil pressure back to normal. Truck runs and sounds great - hopefully no damage.

I don't have the faulty filter in hand (picked the cruiser up after hours). I will pick it up tomorrow - keep it as evidence in case something goes wrong or perform an autopsy? - I'm not sure. I have 10 filters left in the case - I guess I could cut a few of those open.

I will post this on the recent WIX thread - must have had a bad batch go through I guess? Thanks again for the help!

I wouldn't be so hasty to blame the filter, you may have fixed the problem while messing around with everything else. Did your mechanic connect an oil pressure gauge again, and get different results than you originally reported?

I wouldn't be so hasty to blame the filter, you may have fixed the problem while messing around with everything else. Did your mechanic connect an oil pressure gauge again, and get different results than you originally reported?

Had to be something I guess - mechanic tested almost zero pressure mechanically prior to replacing the filter. Only other thing he did was drop the oil pan and check the oil pick up screen - slight debris - not enough to clog things up. Still tested near zero after that.

After the new filter it tested 60psi at 3000 rpm - thats good as far as I can tell. Hard to not make a direct correlation to the new filter. If someone has another feasable explanation I would be happy to hear it - hoping not to deal with this again.

Last edited:
Had to be something I guess - mechanic tested almost zero pressure mechanically prior to replacing the filter. Only other thing he did was drop the oil pan and check the oil pick up screen - slight debris - not enough to clog things up. Still tested near zero after that.

After the new filter it tested 60psi at 3000 rpm - thats good as far as I can tell. Hard to not make a direct correlation to the new filter. If someone has another feasable explanation I would be happy to hear it - hoping not to deal with this again.
Sounds like a definite improvement in actual oil pressure, which is what I was questioning. That sucks, as I use Wix filters on three vehicles and have plenty of stock.

My last oil change was with a 51515 so now I am worried. Since then I now always have startup rattle. I normally use the D3 filter. Anybody else having issues with WIX filters?

My last oil change was with a 51515 so now I am worried. Since then I now always have startup rattle. I normally use the D3 filter. Anybody else having issues with WIX filters?
I noticed a bit of a funny sound the last few weeks upon start up - chalked it up to the -25 celcius weather. Could have been low flow with the bad filter? It's above freezing now, but I will definately have a listen when the temp drops again to see if the sound is gone.

I have a case of WIX 51515 that I won't be using - mostly because they all share the same manufacture time and date stamp. I don't think that all WIX are bad, just that there may have been a bad batch and I have a case of them. Thumbs down emoji.

Sounds like a definite improvement in actual oil pressure, which is what I was questioning. That sucks, as I use Wix filters on three vehicles and have plenty of stock.
I don't think that WIX makes a bad filter - there must be a bad batch out there. Wish there was a way to test these things before throwing them on.

this might be a dumb question, but if I swap filters lets say from a big 51515 to a D3 how much oil should I add?

Yes, a dumb question. Always check oil level with the dipstick and add oil as necessary.

Yes, a dumb question. Always check oil level with the dipstick and add oil as necessary.

You are a gem, thank you for your kindness. Just wanted to have an idea of how much oil I am losing.

I noticed a bit of a funny sound the last few weeks upon start up - chalked it up to the -25 celcius weather. Could have been low flow with the bad filter? It's above freezing now, but I will definately have a listen when the temp drops again to see if the sound is gone.

I have a case of WIX 51515 that I won't be using - mostly because they all share the same manufacture time and date stamp. I don't think that all WIX are bad, just that there may have been a bad batch and I have a case of them. Thumbs down emoji.
what ‘numbers’ are on them? thanks

I don't think that WIX makes a bad filter - there must be a bad batch out there. Wish there was a way to test these things before throwing them on.
WIX might make a perfectly good filter. That said, they are dead to me after reading that thread. All it takes in my book to get a lifetime ban in my trucks is one incident. Oil and oil filters are cheap and I have always replaced both more frequently than I have to. Unless someone reports a major issue with one of the Toyota filters, that is all I will use on my 80 and in my Tacoma now. A $5 filter ruined a $5000 motor. Why take the risk?

What I don’t understand is why people think they know more about what is better for Toyota’s engines than Toyota does.

I have always used Toyota filters and will always use Toyota filters. I do not care if they are made in Thailand or Nairobi or Bangladesh.

Also, people need to invest more time on Mud. The Wic filter issue has been well documented. Numerous times.

What I don’t understand is why people think they know more about what is better for Toyota’s engines than Toyota does.

I have always used Toyota filters and will always use Toyota filters. I do not care if they are made in Thailand or Nairobi or Bangladesh.

Also, people need to invest more time on Mud. The Wic filter issue has been well documented. Numerous times.
I agree with that sentiment 95% of the time. The only things I will go aftermarket on are things that are just too expensive from Toyota or are NLA from Toyota. For me that has been things like a new radiator in my Tacoma, the cats on my LC, the rear lift gate shocks for the LC and probably a few other things that I am forgetting. I will probably try a few aftermarket AC system parts this summer, but I am hoping to still be able to get Denso or other original spec parts from aftermarket suppliers. As for the filters, that's a no brainer in my book. They are cheap and plentiful and they can save literally thousands of dollars over what taking a risk with something like a WIX filter might cause.

20180213_183413.jpg
what ‘numbers’ are on them? thanks

Case of 12 all have the same numbers. I may tear into one when I get a chance this weekend.

Last edited:
I agree with LS1FJ40 and Red Merle - a case of OEM Toyota filters are on order.

Funny thing is: when I did my head gasket and other projects, every part I ordered was OEM - didn't even think of OEM when I bought my case of WIX. I know better now.

Wic filter issue has been well documented. Numerous times.

^^^^^ Yep. I believe this is #4, that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Not saying that 'Wix' as a company or their products are bad, but it seems some number of filters have caused problems for their consumers. ANY company can experience such things as 'bad runs' or a few items getting out the door not up to 'spec'.

So...what I look to, is what does the company do about it once consumers come forth with a complaint.

The other thing that is a bit troubling....is that if 3-4 of our members have had issues (if legit), we represent a very small part of the buying public that use those model Wix filters. So....the problem (if it truly exists) is on a larger scale than just reported here.

Personally, I run Motorcraft filters (made by Purolator) on all of my vehicles...including my Toyota's. Easy to find, priced right, work great...always.

To the OP: I would encourage you to contact Wix and go through the procedure to have the 'suspect' filter tested.

^^^^^ Yep. I believe this is #4, that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Not saying that 'Wix' as a company or their products are bad, but it seems some number of filters have caused problems for their consumers. ANY company can experience such things as 'bad runs' or a few items getting out the door not up to 'spec'.

So...what I look to, is what does the company do about it once consumers come forth with a complaint.

The other thing that is a bit troubling....is that if 3-4 of our members have had issues (if legit), we represent a very small part of the buying public that use those model Wix filters. So....the problem (if it truly exists) is on a larger scale than just reported here.

Personally, I run Motorcraft filters (made by Purolator) on all of my vehicles...including my Toyota's. Easy to find, priced right, work great...always.

To the OP: I would encourage you to contact Wix and go through the procedure to have the 'suspect' filter tested.

I have half a dozen of these wix filters that I now won’t use. I have been using the motor craft FL1A with good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom