1FZ-FE Newbie w/big problem (no oil pressure) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be curious to know if people are reporting these issues on other forums for other cars, or is this mostly confined to these motors? I would say this trend is alarming enough that WIX might want to do something before this becomes something they have to deal with the court of public opinion via the media.

I'm sure that Wix's is well aware of this problem, it's just cheaper for them to keep their mouths shut, and take a little "bad press" from a few car forums then do something about it. I think they'll just wait till all the bad lot's of filters have aged out of the supply chain, then to submit to a costly recall, and all the legal liability that would open them up to.

Last edited:
Howdy One and All,

I realise this is an older thread but thought I would add my two cents worth because I have just experienced a loss of oil pressure on a 93 1fzfe motor, the cause of which is not documented anywhere else (at least as far as I can see) and felt it may possibly help someone at some point or at least provide some interesting reading.

The attached image (forgive the quality, my potato is low res) is of the oil pressure relief valve (found in the timing chain housing) piston, a $9 OEM part where I am from.

The black spot you see on the piston is corrosion that stands proud of that component and is/was the cause of said piston jamming in the relief valves bore and causing a constant oil bypass resulting in no oil pressure (for a very short time) throughout the engine.

I removed the relief valve end cap and spring but no piston was forthcoming, not even with a magnet which resulted in the removal of the harmonic balancer and oil pump cover and then inserting a softer, bendable drift and gently knocking the piston out.

Fortunately the piston was jammed with just enough resistance so as the spring could not close it but not enough to cause any damage on the way out, so touch wood.

The problem was caught early but still resulted in the need to polish the cams and because we could, replace the followers whilst at it.

This of course will not apply to everyone with an oil pressure loss but is likely unique enough to warrant a mention here.

Hope it helps someone ... cheers.

00.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom