1FZ FE Cylinder Head bolts/studs - ARP kit that works great. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That I don't know. Enough to not be concerned? :flipoff2:

Translation: fits like a glove, if Joey ain't worried, then nobody else should either (I say that as I worry about stuff like he does, so we're on the same wavelength).

Not for nothing in the "reuse OE headbolts" question - I asked & was told direct from Dan (was ordering my HG package & any parts also needed) -that "Measure, and if within spec always good for 1 re-use". The Shaman has spoken, I quote as He told me.

Translation: fits like a glove, if Joey ain't worried, then nobody else should either (I say that as I worry about stuff like he does, so we're on the same wavelength).

Not for nothing in the "reuse OE headbolts" question - I asked & was told direct from Dan (was ordering my HG package & any parts also needed) -that "Measure, and if within spec always good for 1 re-use". The Shaman has spoken, I quote as He told me.
Agreed, and I don't want to argue, but having reused my head bolts (following a bona fide ARP thread chaser in the block and ARP thread lube) I won't do that again! Very unnerving and inconsistent feeling, besides the sounds they made. Yes, that HG job is still holding fine after 25K miles, but i personally won't reuse again. Experienced machine shop concurs. My $0.02.

For you guys who used the studs: How has your HG held up? Any problems? How many miles since? Did you go back and do a second or third torque after some miles?

Same question, a few years later. You guys seeing any issues? :)

I have almost 5 years and 40k miles on mine. Happy as a clam.

I used ARP studs and had no issues the 8 months I ran that engine before rolling the Landcruiser. The engine sits here in the wings waiting for its next tour of duty. I haven’t read of any problems and most who installed studs never went back in for a second torque which requires removal of the cam shafts.

Anyone have a failure reusing the factory bolts?

Anyone have a failure reusing the factory bolts?

Digging back in the cobwebs of my head, I recall you really need to mic out the bolts for deformation. They are stretch to yield / elastic bolts - why risk it?

By comparison, BMW headbolts for their S50/52/54 I-6 DOHC are strictly single use - so I don’t get why people aside from a bush fix (you ain’t pulling a head there anyhow) - the whole topic is a non-starter.

Someone back when @Junk still had an 80 reported some 3+ of the removed bolts being stretched too far.

IIRC per the FSM, bolts that meet spec are suitable for a single re-use. Full stop.

Beyond that, the frugality of some in regards to rigs on the KBB / NADA rebound from when in the Obama era, some were cash-for-clunkered - I just don’t see the point of pushing your luck.

It‘s more $$ to buy ~5+ OE headbolts than a ARP stud kit, so why this is an issue is well beyond me.

Quit your Starbucks & drink BRCC drip for 2wks, ARP kit paid for.

Lemon squeezey. :meh:

For those who used the ARP bolts block to head did you follow the ARP directions on tightening to only 80ft lbs or the factory manual tighten to 29lbs then turn another 180 degrees? I’m in the process at the moment and just wanted to be sure before I button the motor all up. I used the Supra studs for reference
image.jpg

Use the ARP instructions. I have 45k on mine since the rebuild with ARPs.

For those who used the ARP bolts block to head did you follow the ARP directions on tightening to only 80ft lbs or the factory manual tighten to 29lbs then turn another 180 degrees? I’m in the process at the moment and just wanted to be sure before I button the motor all up. I used the Supra studs for reference View attachment 2621783

Stud/nut interface is way different than torque-stretch bolts - why refineries use a stud & 2 nuts on all flanges.

Greater control was the Cliff Note I learned, I bet google-fu will disagree w/ decades of guys doing it 🙄

Bump

Evening Mud :flipoff2:

I just ordered 2 sets or ARP 203-4305 head studs for my 1fz blown head gasket and future new "medium block" :hillbilly: build (factory short block, head, cams, timing chain & cover).

Everyone having good success with the ARP head studs?

Bump

Evening Mud :flipoff2:

I just ordered 2 sets or ARP 203-4305 head studs for my 1fz blown head gasket and future new "medium block" :hillbilly: build (factory short block, head, cams, timing chain & cover).

Everyone having good success with the ARP head studs?
ARP head studs worked for me right up until I rolled that mother 7 years ago.

ARP head studs worked for me right up until I rolled that mother 7 years ago.
Thanks
Uhh..... So sad, wasn't repairable?

I had a close call on the Rubicon......super scary....

Thanks
Uhh..... So sad, wasn't repairable?

I had a close call on the Rubicon......super scary....
She ran the rubicon many times. The problem was that she had a mind of her own… I was left with no choice but to let her do as she would.

Several who have used the studs instead of new head bolts are still running strong. The thing is this, stock head bolts are designed to yield(stretch) like a rubber band on a single input. ARP studs should technically be torqued a second time after the first heat cycle.

I didn’t, and most haven’t, but mine ran only 4,000 miles before she made up her mind to do a summer salt.

She ran the rubicon many times. The problem was that she had a mind of her own… I was left with no choice but to let her do as she would.

Several who have used the studs instead of new head bolts are still running strong. The thing is this, stock head bolts are designed to yield(stretch) like a rubber band on a single input. ARP studs should technically be torqued a second time after the first heat cycle.

I didn’t, and most haven’t, but mine ran only 4,000 miles before she made up her mind to do a summer salt.
Nothing in the ARP install instructions state this. Although I have heard it mentioned before as well.

Nothing in the ARP install instructions state this. Although I have heard it mentioned before as well.
Thanks for the reply

Did you torque once at 80ftlbs?

If it gets hot and it’s not a TTY fastener is should get a second go around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom