1FZ-FE Coolant System maintenance question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So OCD kicked in again and I decided to PM the rig with all new rubber hoses.
The HG was done by the PO at 1st Rock 4x4 in Tuscon in 18'. However there is no mention of doing anything else besides the radiator and fan clutch.
As I was looking around, It appears that the water pump and thermostat are original.
Are the blue marks factory?

1599681494372.png

1599681521745.png

Yes, but I can tell you....your water pump (unless leaking) is probably fine. I pulled mine recently (316K miles) to replace and it looked and felt brand new still. Thermostat is probably a good thing to replace from time to time. Bypass O-rings, but none of those appear to be leaking on yours.

Heater valve is a good thing to check (they become brittle with age).

Last edited:
Yes, but I can tell you....your water pump (unless leaking) is probably fine. I pulled mine recently (316K miles) to replace and it looked and felt brand new still. Thermostat is probably a good thing to replace from time to time. Bypass O-rings, but none of those appear to be leaking on yours.

Heater valve is a good thing to check (they brittle with age).

Yes, she is in good shape at 160k miles. My starter needs to be replaced so that lead to doing PHH and TB Cooler hose. It going out of hand from there on the parts order.

So OCD kicked in again and I decided to PM the rig with all new rubber hoses.
The HG was done by the PO at 1st Rock 4x4 in Tuscon in 18'. However there is no mention of doing anything else besides the radiator and fan clutch.
As I was looking around, It appears that the water pump and thermostat are original.
Are the blue marks factory?

View attachment 2430934
View attachment 2430935
What fan clutch is that on there? Never seen it before.

What fan clutch is that on there? Never seen it before.

I'm gonna guess something from China. The hand written invoice says "Fan Clutch $70.00, Fan Clutch Installation $70.00"

Crazy thing is with a cheap radiator and fan clutch is runs cool. I know the temp gauge isn't the most accurate, however I drove it back hard for two days from Tuscon to Sacramento with no heat issues. My luck I'll put in the OEM radiator and Blue Hub, then have a cooling issue lol.

1599708377458.png

The original heads have the serial number plate on them, replacement heads
do not. So it means you likely have the original head, but doesn't say whether
the head gasket has been replaced. However one tip-off is if the original
factory FIPG on the half moons is missing; that is/was an off white color. But then again, if the valve cover only has been off the FIPG for the half moons could have been replaced for that job which didn't touch the headgasket. FWIW.

Regarding the blue marks, they may not be the best indicator something hasn't been apart. For example the bypass pipe from the thermostat housing to the head would have almost certainly come off for head gasket job, but still has blue marks that appear intact. Same with hose clamps

Regarding the blue marks, they may not be the best indicator something hasn't been apart. For example the bypass pipe from the thermostat housing to the head would have almost certainly come off for head gasket job, but still has blue marks that appear intact. Same with hose clamps

This is true and based on the extra sealant on the bypass pipe is has been off. I guess now I need to decide if I want to redo a perfectly good head gasket or not. If I can find some one local who I could pay just to come reassemble the head after I had it machined I would probably just do it.

DO NOT for ANY REASON open up a perfectly fine operating 1FZ to do a pre-emptive HG swap. That's the worst idea ever. Stop listening to the peanut gallery who wants to use your money for you.

A voice of reason. Thank you. What about doing the thermostat or water pump @ 160K while I am getting rid of my Denso radiator?

DO NOT for ANY REASON open up a perfectly fine operating 1FZ to do a pre-emptive HG swap. That's the worst idea ever. Stop listening to the peanut gallery who wants to use your money for you.

^^^^^

This!

Mine went 316K miles and probably would have gone more had I not flushed my cooling system with a water hose and possibly too much pressure (though I did attenuate it).

A voice of reason. Thank you. What about doing the thermostat or water pump @ 160K while I am getting rid of my Denso radiator?

Change out your T-Stat for peace of mind....but not the Water Pump. I can just about guarantee you it is fine IF the cooling system hasn't been continuously neglected.

Mine @ 316K....right off the truck. Looked and felt like brand new. There WP's are known to last a LONG time (fuel pumps also).

23 yr WP.jpg

This is true and based on the extra sealant on the bypass pipe is has been off. I guess now I need to decide if I want to redo a perfectly good head gasket or not. If I can find some one local who I could pay just to come reassemble the head after I had it machined I would probably just do it.
Ask @musthave how he feels about pre-emptive head gasket work...

😂 yes. Rebuilding is the right thing to do. Don’t second guess even if the mid-term outcome sucks it’s better in the long term.

Reading that build thread a HD lead to a full rebuild.... Something I can't do right now.

I'm going to listen to @Onur. It was done 2/18, per the previous owner and paperwork I have.

Even though I'd like to pull the head off and fully rebuild it, I think this may lead to other trouble.

I agree, don't touch tge head without a definite reason to.

I think changing and testing the thermostat is good baselining/preventative maintenance. (Yrs, test the brand new one)
It's neither expensive, difficult, or invasive and they do fail.
Sometimes not a compete fail, but they can stop operating at the correct temperature range, or don't fully open when they should

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom