1999 LX - Did I pay too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same here. Though I think it has aged well. The color change in the light is kind of unique.

Color change remarkable. In low light it appears much darker and richer, in full sunlight it is lighter.

No, you did not overpay.
Up here is hard to find one in good condition unless you can find one in the Okanagan area with one o two owners.
Mileage is ok for the year and maintenance items should not be added into the equation. its a 20+ year old truck, did you expect not spending a dime on it? Even a 10 yr old one owner 4runner will need a few things.
Your biggest issue will be maintenance up here. Only a few shops will touch your LX and 90% don't have a clue what are they looking at.
If you cant work on it yourself, then have always $1-2k on the side for repairs and maintenance.
I do 99% of the work myself, and if I have to take it to a shop its either Krave or Car Salon on 32nd (used to work there and know the techs).
I have seen MANY guys who want to get into wheeling/overlanding around here with little to no experience and pay big time for inexperience with a old and expensive vehicle. At the end of the day you can post it for $10-$11k and it will sell, all the other ones around have more kilometers for $2-3k more.
If you ever need a hand shoot me a message.

No, you did not overpay.
Up here is hard to find one in good condition unless you can find one in the Okanagan area with one o two owners.
Mileage is ok for the year and maintenance items should not be added into the equation. its a 20+ year old truck, did you expect not spending a dime on it? Even a 10 yr old one owner 4runner will need a few things.
Your biggest issue will be maintenance up here. Only a few shops will touch your LX and 90% don't have a clue what are they looking at.
If you cant work on it yourself, then have always $1-2k on the side for repairs and maintenance.
I do 99% of the work myself, and if I have to take it to a shop its either Krave or Car Salon on 32nd (used to work there and know the techs).
I have seen MANY guys who want to get into wheeling/overlanding around here with little to no experience and pay big time for inexperience with a old and expensive vehicle. At the end of the day you can post it for $10-$11k and it will sell, all the other ones around have more kilometers for $2-3k more.
If you ever need a hand shoot me a message.
Ya they are somewhat rare. I've seen the same two mint(?) ones on FB and Kijiji for like 25k but obviously no takers lol.

Of course an old truck needs some attention, I'll say perhaps I got fairly lucky in that regard. But to not include maintenance items in the price equation seems odd. I figure one with a recent tbelt is worth slightly more than one needing replacement.

My main issue is a place to do the work, my home is not conducive to it. No garage or alley, and on a main Street. Driveway is sloped. I do have a shop at my work however and the mechanic just said today I could use his tools which kind of blew me away tbh.

Ya they are somewhat rare. I've seen the same two mint(?) ones on FB and Kijiji for like 25k but obviously no takers lol.

Of course an old truck needs some attention, I'll say perhaps I got fairly lucky in that regard. But to not include maintenance items in the price equation seems odd. I figure one with a recent tbelt is worth slightly more than one needing replacement.

My main issue is a place to do the work, my home is not conducive to it. No garage or alley, and on a main Street. Driveway is sloped. I do have a shop at my work however and the mechanic just said today I could use his tools which kind of blew me away tbh.
At least you have a place to work on it.
Get yourself a good set of tools with a 54mm socket and carry that in the truck all the time. Also plug the truck in everytime it dips to -10C or lower, yes it will start without being plugged in but it helps the engine with cold starts (look at oil viscosity videos at below freezing temperatures 🤯).
Also up here penetrating fluid and anti seize are your biggest friends.

View attachment 2637720View attachment 2637721

PURCHASE PRICE: 8000CDN\6350USD for a rusty (weirdly the body is worse than the undercarridge) 280KM\173k MILES local (Alberta, Canada) Hundy. Factory Electric Rear Locker. Near everything works, because the column and cruise are broken.

Clean bill of health mechanically/all fluids changed/checked. (~$100 not sure exact price.)
T-belt, water pump, pulleys done before purchase at 279KM.
Swaybar Bushings+150CDN\119USD
AHC is "flushed" and operating within spec.
Duratracs - 1400CDN\1100USD - I chose them because 1) they were on sale, although still pretty expensive. and 2) figured I like the aggressive look, and they're supposedly good in the snow, which we have a lot of.

So about +/- $9500CDN\7550USD so far for a mechanically sound (not perfect obviously) 100 with the brand new tires of my choice.

BUT! The RUST you scream. Ya I know. Wait til you see the drivers side. Reminiscent of a certain tangy cheese. Is it even worth fixing a bad body? It's eating all 4 corners at least. I also can't spend any more on it for a few months. Let me know what you think. Am I cruising in style or losing by miles?
I paid $3,800 for my '99 LX. 270k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom