1997 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks a lot for the input. The Macropoxy looks interesting. Looking deeper into all of these options, I'm struggling to make a decision.

What would be your opinions if I took the frame in and had it coated with Line-X?

In any case, it is very clear that prep is by far the most important thing no matter what coatings are applied. I don't want anything secretly rusting underneath a pretty facade.
No.

Blast and epoxy coat.

I would, without any doubt whatsoever, coat it in 646 while you have the body off.

I would, without any doubt whatsoever, coat it in 646 while you have the body off.

Hi @Mixelplix.

I'm going to go to my local Sherwin Williams to inquire. Given that we will be de-scaling, wire wheeling and sanding...

1) Would you spray a rust converter into the nooks and crannys and then re-sand?
2) What primer would you use under the 646?

Hi @Mixelplix.

I'm going to go to my local Sherwin Williams to inquire. Given that we will be de-scaling, wire wheeling and sanding...

1) Would you spray a rust converter into the nooks and crannys and then re-sand?
2) What primer would you use under the 646?
You'll want to specify the Macropoxy 646-100 Fast Cure Epoxy.

This can be a direct to metal product that "Can be applied directly to marginally prepared steel surfaces" (directly from the application sheet.)

Get the data sheets here:
Macropoxy 646-100 Data Sheets

Subscribed. I just started an off frame restoration myself.

Have you started a thread?
Not for this cruiser yet, but I should (will). Like you, I pulled the gas tank. Realized in hindsight, that I didn't really need to. Ah well.

Galvanizing should only be like 500 bucks. It's dipped in acid which removes all leftover surface rust. Then dipped in the tank for Galvanizing.
If I had a vehicle with the body off the frame AND had a local shop that could galvanize it for $500, I would absolutely do it.

POR-15, epoxies, and urethane modified alkyds are great, but nothing would compare to an acid bath and full galvanized dip. Finish with a black epoxy primer for looks.

Decided to go with the Macropoxy. Expensive, but sounds like it's going to be worth it.

ef46e00e-b9cd-4dac-97cf-d932c06595a0.jpg

It's good stuff.
It's going to be much thicker and take a bit more doing than good ol' laytex or oil paint.
Don't thin it unless you have the correct thinner listed on the can or the spec sheet from Sherwin.
If you've not used 2 part before you'll want to know you should mix smaller batches at a time.
Your brushes and what not will become hard junk before long so have extras. Enjoy the buzz if the door/windows are are closed.
I think you will be happy wit it's long term durability.

It's good stuff.
It's going to be much thicker and take a bit more doing than good ol' laytex or oil paint.
Don't thin it unless you have the correct thinner listed on the can or the spec sheet from Sherwin.
If you've not used 2 part before you'll want to know you should mix smaller batches at a time.
Your brushes and what not will become hard junk before long so have extras. Enjoy the buzz if the door/windows are are closed.
I think you will be happy wit it's long term durability.

Thank you. I got a small (half-gallon I think) mixing bucket and three brushes. Not going to thin it. Plan is do a small batch at first to get to know it. Plenty of ventilation and a respirator will be involved.

Might be a couple of weeks before I have pics because there are a lot of broken bolts that need to be drilled out of the frame and then I'm going to spray the Eastwood internal frame coating wherever I can reach with it. Also need to clean and prep the axle housings since they too will be getting the 646. I'm guessing/hoping that 2 gallons of product will provide two coats on the frame and both axles.

Shifting focus away from engine for now because we want to get the chassis painted and re-assembled.
View attachment 2772071

View attachment 2772073

I was originally going to use POR-15 on the frame, but there really isn't enough rust to warrant using that product. Since we'll clean up all the rust with a needle-scaler and sanding pads, I'll just hit any remaining visible rust with the Eastwood rust converter, and then prime and paint the frame using some sort of enamel that I haven't selected yet. For a truck that lived in the Indianapolis area all its life, the frame rust is not bad at all. Plenty of rusty bolts, but the important stuff is in great shape.
View attachment 2772075
View attachment 2772076

Messy work, but it will be worth it. Looking forward to posting pics of the chassis after painting and re-assembly.

Going to send out control arms and sway bars for strip and powder coat to save a little time/hassle while we focus on doing the frame and axle housings by hand.

Ordered all new, OEM shocks/bushings/bolts/nuts from oemgenuineparts.com and eBay seller TripleCreations out of Dubai.

Bummed to discover that I can't get OEM rear springs, so I'm trying to decide on aftermarket. Currently leaning toward Dobinsons, but I need to do more research on which options will work for me because I haven't yet decided if I'm going to add an aux fuel tank, nor do I have any idea what front and rear bumper setups I'm going to use. Probably going to put the original springs in there for now and get the appropriate ones once I know more what the final build will look like.

Plan is to drop the body back on the chassis and send it off for paint this winter. Was originally going to try to roll that body on the body stand onto a trailer and haul it to the body shop, but we could not figure out a safe way to do it. I couldn't imagine that body staying on that stand while bouncing down the highway so we decided to re-arrange our sequence and knock out the chassis so the body can be safely transported.

While it is away for paint, we'll resume with the engine re-assembly.
Shifting focus away from engine for now because we want to get the chassis painted and re-assembled.
View attachment 2772071

View attachment 2772073

I was originally going to use POR-15 on the frame, but there really isn't enough rust to warrant using that product. Since we'll clean up all the rust with a needle-scaler and sanding pads, I'll just hit any remaining visible rust with the Eastwood rust converter, and then prime and paint the frame using some sort of enamel that I haven't selected yet. For a truck that lived in the Indianapolis area all its life, the frame rust is not bad at all. Plenty of rusty bolts, but the important stuff is in great shape.
View attachment 2772075
View attachment 2772076

Messy work, but it will be worth it. Looking forward to posting pics of the chassis after painting and re-assembly.

Going to send out control arms and sway bars for strip and powder coat to save a little time/hassle while we focus on doing the frame and axle housings by hand.

Ordered all new, OEM shocks/bushings/bolts/nuts from oemgenuineparts.com and eBay seller TripleCreations out of Dubai.

Bummed to discover that I can't get OEM rear springs, so I'm trying to decide on aftermarket. Currently leaning toward Dobinsons, but I need to do more research on which options will work for me because I haven't yet decided if I'm going to add an aux fuel tank, nor do I have any idea what front and rear bumper setups I'm going to use. Probably going to put the original springs in there for now and get the appropriate ones once I know more what the final build will look like.

Plan is to drop the body back on the chassis and send it off for paint this winter. Was originally going to try to roll that body on the body stand onto a trailer and haul it to the body shop, but we could not figure out a safe way to do it. I couldn't imagine that body staying on that stand while bouncing down the highway so we decided to re-arrange our sequence and knock out the chassis so the body can be safely transported.

While it is away for paint, we'll resume with the engine re-assembly.
Try "Atlas Springs" They are out of California. I am going with them and returning my 60 to factory height. I'm removing the previous owners older OME shocks and springs 2 inch lift.

Got almost all of the broken bolts extracted from the frame, but have a few critical ones that are giving us grief.

Three of the four rear sway-bar bracket bolt holes have snapped-off bolts in them and they are eating up drill bits. I ordered a couple of carbide bits to go after them again, but am worried that even if the bolts come out, the threads are going to be too messed up to be able to properly torque down those brackets.

We have a few ideas - would appreciate some opinions:

1) drill out larger and install helicoils
2) create access holes in the side of the frame to be able to install a new nut in each
3) weld the brackets to the frame

Welding would be strongest, but would that limit options *if* I decide to lift the truck in the future, or is the option for a longer sway bar link vs. the extended bracket sufficient?

The best solution at this point is to weld nuts to the broken bolts. The heat generated by welding, passed through the bolt, will breakdown the rust bond between the broken bolt and the original nut integrated into the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom