Builds 1996 LX450 5.3L swap let the fun begin!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RockJock82

Sometimes you have to kick a little A$$
Threads
I recently purchased a 1996 LX450 about 3 months ago w/ only 138k and lockers. So far I have ditched the grocery go getter look, ditching the running boards and adding a Slee 4in lift w/ 35in Toyo MT's. Now I want to do something about the lack of power. Dont get me wrong I love Toyota but for simplicity reasons I am going with a 2005 GM 5.3L (only 24k on it), 4L60e and FJ60 split case. So far I have in hand the motor, transmission, Aisin hubs and split case. I am going to purchase my harness through PSI and the transmission adapter and mounts through AA. I am going to try my best to get this done before I go back to school in the end of Aug. For now I am collecting all my parts and plan on tearing into it in the beginning of July. Stay tuned..
LX450 after.jpg
5.3l.jpg

YOU suck! :flipoff2::D Dibs on the old motor if your going to get rid of it cheep!!! cheap being the operative word... PM me if that is the case. I have a good friend in Payson that might pick it up for me.

When was the last time you saw CHEAP and Toyota used together..? HAHA:p. I would like to sell the motor, trans, tcase all in one sha bang even ECM if your interested PM me.

Sweet truck...

I would go with the exact same set-up if I were to do a swap tomorrow, but I would never replace a perfectly good engine. I'll have to wait for mine to go, which could be a long time since it only has 149,xxx miles and is up on it's maintenance.

Please post progress pics as you go...

GEET-R-DONE! Good looking rig! Are you doing drive by wire or cable throttle?

Last edited:
GEET-R-DONE! Good looking rig! Are you doing drive by wire or cable throttle?

I have both intakes Im not sure which one would easiest, I was figuring DBC. Cant wait to hear 8 cylinders thumping..

Be sure to RTV around the knock sensors and dielectric the conections before you wrap up on top. If they get wet (engine cleaning/water crossing) water shots them out. GM tech notes has the update notes for dealers. RTV around the threads and dielectric all conections. $80 X2 plus manifold gaskets $50 each = $260. A friend did this last week after cleaning his engine.
Can't wait to see it all up and running. Hope it goes smooth.

Nice .. what are you planning to control the tranny . ?

You need spacers in front .. ! keep the pics comming !

The rear sets higher due to the HD Slee springs for when I add my 4x4Labs Bumper she should sit level or I will get front spacers. The ECM controls the transmission.

Subscribed. I'm looking at doing basically the exact same swap.

What progress have you made or have you started yet? You might want to check out some of the threads over in the 60 area too, there are a couple dealing with 5.3 swap.

Updates: I purchased my harness and ECM from John over at PSI, really nice complete harness pretty much plug and play. Also purchased a pair of stainless block hugger headers off EBAY but the driver side showed up cracked... The process has been kinda slow due to I am trying to wrap up Nursing school so probably wont happen til this summer but Im collecting everything. Recently added a 4x4labs rear bumper, locking front hubs. Plus im ditching the split case idea and going to use my current tcase but Im going to weld up the center differ. Im also considering adding a single turbo =D

what's the benefit of welding the center diff? is it going to only be driven off road?

I'm assuming he means doing a part time conversion. At leas I hope that's what he means.

Yeah sorry brain fart.. I am going to convert the full time to part time.. Looks pretty straight forward according to the write ups on it. Doesnt look too complicated.

Any specific reason for the block hugger headers? Clearance issues with the frame?

Any specific reason for the block hugger headers? Clearance issues with the frame?

The frame is fairly narrow, the shock mounts and steering mechanicals and such also make it a less than roomy area for a V8's exhaust.

Nice, I'm going to keep that in mind. Has it been fairly straight forward so far or any hang ups or unexpected issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom