Builds 1996 LX450 5.3L swap let the fun begin!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate this thread...

You pretty much have my rig, but yours is going to have balls.

Nice, I'm going to keep that in mind. Has it been fairly straight forward so far or any hang ups or unexpected issues?

Its been a slow process I am still collecting all the parts (also keeping an eye out for a all aluminum 6.2L :D). Next on the list is motor mounts, fan/clutch, transmission adapter.

Awesome. Any idea of which motor mounts you're planning on? I believe advance adapters and Novak make some good universal mounts.

With the psi wiring kit, are we talking like a plug and play to get everything working?

Awesome. Any idea of which motor mounts you're planning on? I believe advance adapters and Novak make some good universal mounts.

With the psi wiring kit, are we talking like a plug and play to get everything working?

Yeah I am going to use the AA motor mounts, I can make some but its faster to just bolt and go... The harness is plug and play on the motor end, there are some wires that have to be spliced into the Toyota harness. Not sure if it will work but Im going to run the vss off the Lexus tcase hoping the speedo will function properly. The GM vss is off the adapter which will communicate to the ecm on speed ect. For the tach I talked to Dakota Digital and they have a signal converter that will work on this end. Now for the gauges the theory is to adapt the Toyota sensors to the 5.3L. My goal is to make it look factory inside. When I setup the exhaust I will set it up with a future turbo upgrade in mind, 6psi should make good power :)

AA are fast to install but I suggest yah use the oem mounts n fab the frame mounts.. They will last longer.. Unlike the AA the rubber mounts will last yah a year our so..

Yeah I am going to use the AA motor mounts, I can make some but its faster to just bolt and go... The harness is plug and play on the motor end, there are some wires that have to be spliced into the Toyota harness. Not sure if it will work but Im going to run the vss off the Lexus tcase hoping the speedo will function properly. The GM vss is off the adapter which will communicate to the ecm on speed ect. For the tach I talked to Dakota Digital and they have a signal converter that will work on this end. Now for the gauges the theory is to adapt the Toyota sensors to the 5.3L. My goal is to make it look factory inside. When I setup the exhaust I will set it up with a future turbo upgrade in mind, 6psi should make good power :)

Awesome, that is going to be slick.

My plan was to utilize the OBD2 and have my dash on a tablet. The idea being I mount a tablet in there and use the program torque for gauges.

pretty cool timing. I am also gathering parts for a vortec L33 swap into my '94.

the L33 is an all aluminum version of the LM7, but it has higher compression, a hotter cam, and Z06 heads. They came in 2005 to 2007 1500 series trucks as an HO option.

I have the complete motor with harness, pcm, ect and a 2wd 4l60e. I have already started the harness reworking - I plan on using the donor harness because my swap needs to be emissions legal. I am also going to integrate the toyota gauges as well. I am trying to get some clarification on this, but I think the gm pcm can be programmed to output a 6 count per revolution tach signal. this would solve the interface issue.

I am going to try an make my own frame stands that will accept the gm motor mounts. If this doesn't work out, then I will just go with the AA mounts.

I am also going to use an electric fan setup from a ford windstar. it's a dual fan with 2 speeds and it fits the 80 series radiator almost perfectly. the pcm will handle the fan control.

I have been doing some research on exhaust options. I know a few have used the blockhugger headers, but I think I am going to use a set of corvette ls3 manifolds. they come on a lot of crate motors and can be picked up from ebay for less than the headers.

Good to know!

About the 2wd 4l60e Trans; is there any sort of an issue with the output shaft on that because it's not being mated to a t-case? If you're running a divorced set up i would assume it would be fine, but wouldn't you have to change out the rear portion to make sure the splines work and you have the bits to mount adapters to?

subscribed!

good info here guys. keep it coming.

rockjock, i call BS on your single turbo plan! prove me wrong:flipoff2:

Good to know!

About the 2wd 4l60e Trans; is there any sort of an issue with the output shaft on that because it's not being mated to a t-case? If you're running a divorced set up i would assume it would be fine, but wouldn't you have to change out the rear portion to make sure the splines work and you have the bits to mount adapters to?

I am keeping the stock full time tcase and running a marks of australia adapter to mate it to the 4l60e.

In order to run the t-case adapter from Marks, the trans has to come from a 2wd application. You cannot use a 4wd 4l60e. The marks adapter works by removing the 2wd tail housing, trimming the output shaft a little, and then installing the adapter. There's a spot on the marks adapter to accept the 4l60e vss speed sensor. you would then retain the toyota vss on the stock t-case to operate the toyota speedometer. The 4l60e vss will send the needed signal to the gm pcm for the shifting.

I ordered my adapter about 2 weeks ago from advanced. It's supposed to arrive from australia in about 3 more weeks.

Here's some info in regards to the tach output issue:

The number of output pulses P is calculated as P=24/(N*2) where N is the value of this calibration.

Sample values for this calibration:
For 12 pulses, use N= 1
For 6 pulses, use N= 2
For 4 pulses, use N= 3 (Note- 8 cylinder tach setting)
For 3 pulses, use N= 4 (Note- 6 cylinder tach setting)
For 2 pulses, use N= 6 (Note- LSx 8 cylinder & 4 cylinder tach setting)
For 1 pulse, use N=12

N=6 same as you see in HPT (for Gen 3 motors)

Pulse Calculator: V8 tach reads 4 pulses per revolution, so 24/8=3. 6 cylinder reads 3 pulses per revolution, so 24/6=4. 4 cylinder reads 2 pulses per revolution, so 24/12=2. These are the "N" numbers for above that are plugged into the HP Tuners Tach Output fields.

This is something that the pcm tuner can do - change the output signal to match a factory tach.

subscribed!

good info here guys. keep it coming.

rockjock, i call BS on your single turbo plan! prove me wrong:flipoff2:

Ohhh come on now! I have to get the motor in first!! haha..

Here's some info in regards to the tach output issue:

The number of output pulses P is calculated as P=24/(N*2) where N is the value of this calibration.

Sample values for this calibration:
For 12 pulses, use N= 1
For 6 pulses, use N= 2
For 4 pulses, use N= 3 (Note- 8 cylinder tach setting)
For 3 pulses, use N= 4 (Note- 6 cylinder tach setting)
For 2 pulses, use N= 6 (Note- LSx 8 cylinder & 4 cylinder tach setting)
For 1 pulse, use N=12

N=6 same as you see in HPT (for Gen 3 motors)

Pulse Calculator: V8 tach reads 4 pulses per revolution, so 24/8=3. 6 cylinder reads 3 pulses per revolution, so 24/6=4. 4 cylinder reads 2 pulses per revolution, so 24/12=2. These are the "N" numbers for above that are plugged into the HP Tuners Tach Output fields.

This is something that the pcm tuner can do - change the output signal to match a factory tach.

This is the info I needed. I was talking with John at PSI about this and he need to know the specific details to set it up.. Thanks!!!:beer:

He needs to set the N=4 to output 3 pulses per crank turn. The tach should show the correct rpm. Hopefully the output is strong enough so that the tach can pick it up and use it. If not, there's a mod listed in lt1swap.com that talks about adding a capacitor to trick the tach into working.

edit: I also forgot to mention that my tuner says the output change will not affect the OBD port output - so in other words a scan gauge will still read the rpms correctly even though the tach output wire is putting out a different signal to match the toyota tach.... cool, eh?

Also, I just scored a set of LS3 exhaust manifolds from ebay. These are 'tight-tuck' style and keep the exhaust flanges close to the block, and dropping down more or less in the center of the manifold.
Go to this link to see the various stock manifolds. The LS3 is marked:

Ls2, ls3, or ls7 exhaust manifolds - LS1TECH

Do you guys have any contact info for PSI?

I'm starting the process of gathering parts and I'd like to speak with them about some of these bits.

Yes!

Thank you very much.

Hey, been working on sourcing an engine, you guys know anything positive or negative about a 2003 5.3 out of a yukon w 93k mi.? engine 4wdtrans computer and bits for $2k

i've been trying to look up what years are better than others and if there were issues with any specific motors but i haven't had much luck.

Thanks dudes.

All good except for the 4wd trans - it won't work with the Mark's adapter.

You have to source a 2wd trans to make the adapter work.
I am using a 2006 aluminum block 5.3l motor and a 2003 4L60E from a 2wd avalanche for my swap.

2006 was a transition year and GM rolled out the input speed sensor on the transmission. Also, 2004 was a changeover year for the park/neutral sensor switch that's mounted on the transmission where the shift lever attaches. The harnesses are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom