Builds 1996 LX450 5.3L swap let the fun begin!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if possible always try to find a complete pull out instead of piece mealing it together.

Thanks, good info. I not going to use the stock toyota case, my plan is to put a np203 and a 60 splitcase behind the 4l60e so with that in mind, i'm thinking the 4wd trans is the better option.

As far as years go with these, is there an advatage to having the input speed sensor on the trans as opposed to...? same with the park/neutral sensor?

I can continue to hunt down a better set up if it makes sense to run with an 06 or newer. And that's my plan is to find a complete take out and not part anything together.

...that's why i'm loving this project. No deadline!

Oh and just for kicks - attached
engine.jpg
enginebay.jpg
IMAG0524.jpg

adding a np203 may make your drive going to long and you may have to cut your gas tank. measure twice, cut once. you need 2 wheel drive transmission because that's what the adaptors call for. the computer needs for speed sensor and is located in the adapter.

Well, after researching the adapters and bits, it's easier than I think. The length doesn't worry me because if I need to trim the gas tank, then oh well. no big deal.

Also, according to AA it doesn't matter if it's a 2 or 4wd trans as the adapter replaces the tail housing of the 4l60e with the tail housing from a turbo 350 then it bolts straight to the np203 and Colorado off road has the adapter from an np203 to the fj60 split case. Boom goes the dynamite.

Also spoke to Jon at PSI. Awesome guy. Super easy install and I'm looking forward to it.

Well, after researching the adapters and bits, it's easier than I think. The length doesn't worry me because if I need to trim the gas tank, then oh well. no big deal.

Also, according to AA it doesn't matter if it's a 2 or 4wd trans as the adapter replaces the tail housing of the 4l60e with the tail housing from a turbo 350 then it bolts straight to the np203 and Colorado off road has the adapter from an np203 to the fj60 split case. Boom goes the dynamite.

Also spoke to Jon at PSI. Awesome guy. Super easy install and I'm looking forward to it.

that's good news then.:)

I hope to have my engine/trans/transfer case out this weekend. It all depends if my wife's car doesn't spend more than just the day at the dealer. I can't take the cruiser out of commission until her car gets a clean bill of health (it's a volvo with a warranty - I don't touch it).

Yea. volvo+warranty = dealer for sure!

Not sure who has the adapter to go from 4l60e to split case though. The guys at AA seem to know quite a bit so it may be worth giving them a call.

Only crappy part is I have to pay a trans shop to replace the output shaft which basically requires a rebuild of the 4l60e and that's around $1k+. But on the plus side, I'll have a brand new trans.

I just have to source parts now...

Good luck with the engine pull. It's not bad. Took me about 3 1/2 hours total over a few days of tinkering. Air tools help if you have 'em.

Not sure who has the adapter to go from 4l60e to split case though. The guys at AA seem to know quite a bit so it may be worth giving them a call.

Only crappy part is I have to pay a trans shop to replace the output shaft which basically requires a rebuild of the 4l60e and that's around $1k+. But on the plus side, I'll have a brand new trans.

Good luck with the engine pull. It's not bad. Took me about 3 1/2 hours total over a few days of tinkering. Air tools help if you have 'em.

Yep - I have already been in contact with AA and order my t-case adapter about a month ago. It's coming from Australia - but then again I am going direct to the toyota t-case.

just checking why do you have to change the output shaft in the tranny. is it 4wd?
i havent done too much to my project but will soon in a few weeks. i talked with AA and the tech guy said after removing tail housing to measure output shaft for cutting and just make sure the rear of tranny is covered or stuffed with towels to keep metal shavings/grindings from going inside of tranny. and just use grinding disc to get through the hardened steel around the shaft and once through you can cut rest with hack/reciprocating saw. no need for disassembling tranny.

5.3 to 4l60e to np203 to fj60 split case.

To make the 4l60e mount to an np203 the rear of the 4l60e must look like a turbo 350 so I have to adapt the tail section of a turbo350 onto the 4l60e and the output shaft must be longer because of the adapter between those parts.

Well,

Just to report some new findings that I've come across:

I spoke to Chris at offroad designs and he informed me that although AA is correct in saying that I would need to replace the output shaft, there's an easier, cheaper way to do it if I don't feel like replacing those bits.

They are going to drill and tap a 203 reduction box to accept the back of a 4wd 4l60e which basically saves me from needing adapters, output shafts and a trans rebuild. WAY cheaper.

Then I just plug the adapter and 60 splitcase onto the 203!

I'm doing the same build on my fj40 and may have some info that could save you some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. My # is 423-743-9233.

thanks
lee

Hey, been working on sourcing an engine, you guys know anything positive or negative about a 2003 5.3 out of a yukon w 93k mi.? engine 4wdtrans computer and bits for $2k

i've been trying to look up what years are better than others and if there were issues with any specific motors but i haven't had much luck.

Thanks dudes.

Damn! 2k for a motor and trans??? Thats too much in my opinion... I bought a low mileage 2005 5.3L and 4l60e for 1k dollars but I waited for the right deal.. If you go with the stock Toyota T-case you need the 2wd transmission due to the length of the output shaft..

This thread is worthless without a supercharger.

I have seen a few gm swaps. 5.7 litres mostly which ended with very poor owners. Problem was they though dropping a v8 which makes 300hp was a good idea. Problem is the v8 only makes about 50 or so foot pounds of torque more than the 1fz. End result is only a marginal improvement in performance.

So they had to spend heaps more on supercharging or turbo charging.

So the lesson is to look at torque figures, not HP figures, as HP figures are nearly always related to vehicle performance, not engine performance.

The whole reason I'm doing this swap is because of the massive lack of gearing options for the LC.

I'm just happy a by product of going to a 5.3 is loosing 400lbs up front!

This thread is worthless without a supercharger.

I have seen a few gm swaps. 5.7 litres mostly which ended with very poor owners. Problem was they though dropping a v8 which makes 300hp was a good idea. Problem is the v8 only makes about 50 or so foot pounds of torque more than the 1fz. End result is only a marginal improvement in performance.

So they had to spend heaps more on supercharging or turbo charging.

So the lesson is to look at torque figures, not HP figures, as HP figures are nearly always related to vehicle performance, not engine performance.

so wait.... you are saying that somehow the 275 ft/lbs of torque the 1FZ makes is somehow better than the 335 ft/lbs a typical stock 5.3l makes? :lol:

you can only polish the 1FZ turd so much....

The older 5.7s were dogs compared to the newer gen III engines. I have my 5.3 tuned and am running 100hp more than the old engine. The more throttle I give it, the bigger the smile. There's no replacement for displacement. :cheers: :beer:

So what happened to the original poster? Is this thing on the road? Pics? Problems and solutions encountered along the way? Thanx

so wait.... you are saying that somehow the 275 ft/lbs of torque the 1FZ makes is somehow better than the 335 ft/lbs a typical stock 5.3l makes? :lol:

you can only polish the 1FZ turd so much....

No i'm saying the v8 only has a small increase in torque over the 1fz. Read posts properly first before making stupid comments.

No i'm saying the v8 only has a small increase in torque over the 1fz. Read posts properly first before making stupid comments.

A 22 percent increase in torque is small?

Not to mention a significant decrease in drivetrain weight, a big increase in useable power band, the ease of location replacement parts at a lower cost, no head gasket to blow... Shall I continue?

Please tell me one thing that would justify keeping a worn out 1fz and not replacing it with a v8. Some of us have the skills. You clearly don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom