1995 22re 4runner M/T Won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm beyond frustrated with this, so let me put together what I've tried so far, as well as some things the vehicle was doing before this issue started.

Things I've done so far:
  1. New Volume Airflow Sensor
  2. New Battery
  3. New Fuel Pump
  4. New Plugs
Previous running:
It had always started hard, usually had to press the pedal ever so slightly to start it. After running for a time, usually would start on the second crank. Engine also had some trouble with bogging down, threw codes 21 & 26. (I accidently reset them checking fuses to figure out if that was the issue with the clock and 12v.) I've got a O2 sensor to install for the one code, got the VAF to hopefully solve the other. The O2 sensor hasn't been installed yet. Vehicle also started running better after cleaning terminals, hence new battery.

Again previous to the new parts being installed, I thought it might be a good idea to clean the throttle body. Used maybe, MAYBE, an 1/8th of a can of the CRC throttle bofy cleaner, wiped as far as I could reach with a rag, gently, and called it good. I did not know that you are supposed to take the throttle body off to clean it, so yes, some got in the intake. Whether or not that is the cause, I'd love to know, and if so, how to fix.

I'm really stumped as to if this is wiring, injectors, or something else. Fuel seems pressurized, as much pressure releases when I unscrew the gas cap, but I don't know how to test it. I'm very green when it comes to mechanics, but I spend quite a bit of time working with my hands, and I've got a decent set of tools. I've done as much research as I can on the subject, and figured it was time to ask for help.

What it does now:
With light pressure on the gas pedal, I can almost always get it started on the 3rd/4th crank and it will immediately die after running at 1k for a couple seconds. Won't run again after that, unless it sits for quite awhile.

I apologize for the long winded post.

Cold start injector.
Cold start time switch on the front under the thermostat.
Coil/igniter.
Spark plug wires.
Cracked distributor cap.
Dirty fuel injectors. Rebuild.

Try and start the engine, remove the key, then crack the cold start injector banjo bolt, slowly, to see how much fuel escapes. It should have a bit of pressure. If so, fuel is not your problem. Though, it could be dirty injectors.

Sensors-sm.jpg

Long shot in the dark, but when you cleaned the throttle body, did any of the accordion intake tubing break or have you left off any of the hoses after the MAF (what you are calling the VAF or volume air sensor) ? This can cause a no start, as it is taking in unmetered air, and also the MAF is not reading any air moving past it as it should.

One more. Leaking fuel injectors. That was my problem. Mashing the gas on cold starts usually lit the engine.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, going to have alot to check over the weekend. I'll update the thread when I solve the issue for anyone else in the future looking.

Here is a picture for you. The staining in the runners is gas. This is what lead me to get the injectors rebuilt. They would leak into the manifold over night and flood the engine making it difficult to start. Rebuilding solved the problem. I've also included the report that showed the injectors had issues.

leaking injectors.jpg

RC Injection Report-Crop.jpg

Spray brake clean directly into the area where it would suck filtered air. Crank while spraying. If it runs, I'd say its purely fuel related.

this may not be your exact issue, but it was a game changer for me. HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom