Builds 1994 Triple Locked Island Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t have the patience to take phots and document my build,
It's called giving back to the community, Posting what you learned in your built could potentially help others with there build 🤷‍♂️ Just Saying;)

Wheels and tires are on! Small rub on the front bumper but other than that fits okay. Nothing a little trim won’t take care of.

A8BFE2E8-E9C9-4BE8-9A93-031E18BA388A.jpeg

Damn! Looks great dude.
I went to island brake and alignment today and the guys and I chatted about your rig for a while. They were very impressed with your Dobinsons setup.

After getting the truck I did some light trimming on the front bumper as it was rubbing quite a bit. Took it out today to test it under some articulation. There’s some trimming to do on the rear. Hitting the flares/mud flaps. It’s a pretty small section but none the less some trimming to be had. The diff breather hose also popped off while flexing it out so another thing that will need to be addressed. Brake lines were perfect though.

I had maxtrax and my roof top tent from the gladiator and loaded them up. Getting the tent on the prinsu rack was…. Annoying. I tried mounting it with the bars on. That was a fail idea. Next time the bars will be coming off. I also want to put some kind of rubber or foam between the rails and the tent. There is some noise from rubbing. I originally planned on buying the prinsu maxtrax mount but it wasn’t in stock which worked out for the better. Went to the hardware store and for $8 got some bolts that fit the t channel, large washers, a rubber spacer, and locking nut. Mounted right up and is pretty sturdy. Eventually I want to look for something that is a little easier to get off but this will do for now.

37D73DB6-1B3F-4372-BD0E-E812FCC892CB.jpeg

00EE7963-7D71-49C1-A291-9EE0319440FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Man the truck looks great and best color.
You may want to consider removing the damage multiplier off the front of the truck.
Your truck is so clean it would be a shame to have the out side corner of the brush guard catch something and damage multiple pieces of the front end instead of maybe a scratch on the flare or maybe the coroner marker light. 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Man the truck looks great and best color.
You may want to consider removing the damage multiplier off the front of the truck.
Your truck is so clean it would be a shame to have the out side corner of the brush guard catch something and damage multiple pieces of the front end instead of maybe a scratch on the flare or maybe the coroner marker light. 🤷‍♂️ ;)
It will be coming off. The next project is taking things off. Planing on taking off front and rear mid flaps. Damage multiplier. The sliders (if we can even call them that). Then trimming the rear flare.

All parts are here. Thanks to @crikeymike and exit off road for all the parts. Was great working with them and helping me piece together the kit. All the dobinsons parts look like great quality. Install day is June 5. Finding a shop to do the caster correction bushings was a challenge but managed to find someone. Anyhow here’s some pictures.

View attachment 2685608

View attachment 2685609

View attachment 2685610

View attachment 2685611

View attachment 2685612

View attachment 2685614

View attachment 2685616

View attachment 2685617

View attachment 2685618

Hey chex
Nice cruiser. The dark green has always been a favourite colour for me 👍

Have you had a chance to put some miles on the cruiser with the dobinsons shocks?
How do you like them?

Hey chex

Have you had a chance to put some miles on the cruiser with the dobinsons shocks?
How do you like them?

Hello, thank you!

Ive put maybe 70 road and 20 off road. Im really impressed with them. On my tacoma I went through king, icon, and bilsteins. On my gladiator I had fox shocks. I have to say the dobinsons have been really impressive so far. Id say its more comfortable off road than my tacoma and only slightly less comfortable than my gladiator although some of it maybe due to having more side wall. The gladiator felt like riding in a boat, a lot of side to side. The LC80 feels a little tighter with more control. Overall though really happy with the dobinsons set up. Would recommend them to anyone.

Took it out for a overnight camp trip. Didn’t take more pictures of the trail going up. I stayed mostly on the main trail (not much crazy articulation). Going to wait until I get some time to trim the fenders so I don’t rip them off. Did quite well. Really big improvement over the stock suspension when I first brought it up. One section were I dragged the tow hitch going up was no problem. A small part where I had to engage the lockers as I didn’t have enough traction on a tree stump was no problem. Overall the lift and tires really made a difference in capabilities. On the camping side. We had this RTT from the gladiator. Sleeping in it on the top of the land cruiser felt a lot more secure than on the gladiator. The prinsu rack has a lot more cross bars than the Yakima I had on the gladiator. Having the clam shell was really nice. Doing this quick trip. I’d really like to get a 270 awning with some lighting. Also want to get some kind of lighting setup for off roading so we can stay on the trail until sunset (can’t really see it from the camp ground).

24B8DB77-5511-45C1-986B-3B1AAF98EEBC.jpeg

9F483F36-4D04-49E5-8526-4704C2921696.jpeg

purchased and install Overland Vehicle Systems 270 degree awning. When I got it I was pretty surprised there was absolutely no hardware included. Two trips to the hardware store and it was up. Install was pretty straight forward. This awning is pretty awesome though. It comes with legs but is able to stay up without them. I did a quick camp trip and it was raining quite hard. It held up really well. Planning on fitting it with some lights on the support bars and using a jackery or goal zero to power it.

050DD019-DED2-48B8-A7A6-EDE7D54E3FFF.jpeg
2F52BD8D-E223-474F-89FF-A6E595969094.jpeg
58884D1E-DD2C-4942-8100-5FE104F98AB8.jpeg

went out to the normal spot today. Did some flexing to kind of mark off what needs to be trimmed. Any one with suggestions on what to cut the fiberglass flares with? There’s a small triangular section I need to cut. I have an angle grinder with cut wheel but it seems kind of overkill. I really like the factory mud flaps and as much as possible want to keep them.

Hey chex

How do you like them?
I absolutely love the dobinsons! I’ve had Kings and icons on my tacoma. Fox on my Jeep. They’re probably not direct comparisons but I’d say dobinson = fox as terms of ride quality then king then icon in last.

I have a nice dremel kit if you need it.

00776C63-945E-4611-ABD6-34C631EEDD31.jpeg

Took it to a shop to do the cut. Only $40 for both sides. For me totally worth it. We’ll see if it’s enough though!

I really like the factory mud flaps and as much as possible want to keep them.
either trim them, or learn to remove them before wheeling. They are not very sturdily attached.

I tore one off the very first time my current cruiser saw dirt. Trimmed them significantly, and lost another this past week while reversing. It got pinned between tire and a tree.

Took the cruiser out for an impromptu trail ride. Wanted to try some of the off trails. I was in for quite a surprise. I have never gone on these off trails and I didnt have a winch. We went on our own. This was a pretty big fail. There was a lot of ass clenching. Moments I thought I was going to roll. Moments I was sure I was going to lose a mirror. I had my wife spot me, she has no experience. There was a lot of getting her out and explaining the line I wanted to take. It was pretty tricky trying to place the truck perfectly with a huge rut that was about 3-4 feet deep. A lot of backing up and rethinking it. Some how I made it out with only some fender flare paint off. I was absolutely impressed with the Land Cruiser. The lockers made the truck an absolute beast. There were a lot of spots were I was stuck, swap on the lockers and it just rolled on through. Overall I dont think Im going to do this trail again. It was a lot more stress than fun. Glad to know the cruiser is capable though.

5018368E-486D-4609-9DD8-62481DACCA11.jpeg
B4D9D7EA-E584-4099-8FEF-E690F3BC8DDD.jpeg
2274AE48-4F08-4B09-B4A1-5F26B7DDBFFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Havent updated in a while. First off the check engine is gone. Replaced the tps sensor and no CEL have come on since then. Did some more challenging than usual wheeling today and after the parking brake light stays on. So off with one light on with another. From what ive read the options are: brake fluid, sensor, or pads. Will check all these after today. Still pretty bad rubbing on my driver rear mudflap. So bad its ripping at my flares so i think the flaps are coming off soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom