Builds 1994 Triple Locked Island Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

F13ABE0E-6738-4A9A-A763-BB10D6F1E156.jpeg

loosing brake fluid.

That's a great looking 80 Series! I think you did right to pay more to get one with receipts and well taken care of. Though prices are high right now, these are good trucks and having one that doesn't start it's life with you all ratted out is great. Cheers!

Been a while since posting. Updates. Lost a brake caliper while off roading. That was no fun. Was able to drive it home by just coasting and slowing down long long long before traffic lights. Got a new bolt and washer torqued down and off she goes again. Thanks to this forum for the part numbers. I added two Baja designs s2s to the rear of my prinsu rack. It’ll illuminate under the awning and outwards. I made it so it can kind of turn and be adjusted on the fly. Used it for fishing to light up path walking out to cast. Worked out quite well. The damage modifier has been replaced with an arb bull bar. Need to wire up the indicators but was just too lazy to finish that part. The end.

079B4047-799A-44C8-AC70-512F553E25D3.jpeg

55E86D0E-3C62-415E-8AD5-EECEB56BCA6C.jpeg

Been a while since posting. Updates. Lost a brake caliper while off roading. That was no fun. Was able to drive it home by just coasting and slowing down long long long before traffic lights. Got a new bolt and washer torqued down and off she goes again. Thanks to this forum for the part numbers. I added two Baja designs s2s to the rear of my prinsu rack. It’ll illuminate under the awning and outwards. I made it so it can kind of turn and be adjusted on the fly. Used it for fishing to light up path walking out to cast. Worked out quite well. The damage modifier has been replaced with an arb bull bar. Need to wire up the indicators but was just too lazy to finish that part. The end.

View attachment 2830330

View attachment 2830332

There are other bolts on the truck that fit your calipers, such as the eye hook tow bolts.

Glad you made it back.

Been. While since posting. Not too much in terms of mods until recently. Just a lot of enjoying the truck. I ordered a 4x4 labs rear bumper it’s en route. I prepped the truck for the installation by making all the frame cuts. I’ll have dual swing outs with jerry can holders and spare tire. Pics in the next post.

I was planning on having someone install it for me. But they pushed my install date back until august and with the bumper arriving in a few days didn’t feel like waiting so borrowed a sawzall and bought a nice new angle grinder. This was my first time cutting into a frame. My first time using a sawzall as well. I watched a YouTube video on someone doing a DIY kit mostly as a reference for the removal for tool selection and to get an idea of what I was getting into.

42577ACF-8762-49F1-9926-69939A49CB02.jpeg

Step one was simple enough, remove all the stock stuff. Everything was unbolted and moved on to measuring up for cutting.

2CE59FE7-26BA-4AB4-AF9A-6C95C694511F.jpeg

Measured everything out per the instructions and marked off everything. The video I watched mentioned that if he went with the measurements he would have cut off the captive nut for mounting so I was careful to make sure that wasn’t going to be an issue and the measurements were fine.

CC95D1D1-727E-4BD0-8A71-43720E56E24B.jpeg

The point of no return. I used a sawzall to cut this cross support to get better access to the frame.

EEA999ED-03AA-4E6B-9E0C-CFC9C859ACCB.jpeg

Next I made a vertical cut with the sawzall. At this point my inexperience with a sawzall and cutting metal started to show. I went through a ton of blades that I thought weren’t good but I should have just turned up the speed of the sawzall. I didn’t figure this out until later. I just put it on the lowest setting because I had no idea what I was doing lol.

66B0F49D-399F-4B1E-A783-D5CA0FA0FAC4.jpeg

I then removed the next cross support. This was after I realized I can turn up the saw speed and made quick work of this. This would be all for the sawzall.

7FA5CF04-F10E-452C-9826-C0C02169F52D.jpeg

I used an angle grinder to make the angled cut. Grinded down the remaining metal of the welds. Grinded/polished down to the frame. Then hit it with coats of paint.

Still waiting for the bumper to arrive. Initially I was told the 28th but it didn’t arrive and with the holiday weekend I’m anticipating it won’t be available until the end of next week. This was no fault of 4x4labs but the shipping company and having to drive it from the us mainland to Hawaii so I’m used to there being delays with Hawaii shipping.

Overall I think this would have been a pretty simple job if I had any experience with the tools I was using but I just took it really slow (over the course of a few days) and learned a long the way.

View attachment 3047919
I used an angle grinder to make the angled cut. Grinded down the remaining metal of the welds. Grinded/polished down to the frame. Then hit it with coats of paint.

Still waiting for the bumper to arrive. Initially I was told the 28th but it didn’t arrive and with the holiday weekend I’m anticipating it won’t be available until the end of next week. This was no fault of 4x4labs but the shipping company and having to drive it from the us mainland to Hawaii so I’m used to there being delays with Hawaii shipping.

Overall I think this would have been a pretty simple job if I had any experience with the tools I was using but I just took it really slow (over the course of a few days) and learned a long the way.

Great looking 80. Next time I am out in Hawaii visiting my daughter we should meet up.

The bumper arrived. Have to say the packaging was absolutely superb. Miles more through than the bumpers I received from cbi and arb. Needless to say there was no transit damage.
C073EC43-0A2C-4965-B6B4-006F1D494061.jpeg

Included was another set of instructions outside of the ones online. It said I cut off too much and didn’t have to make the angled cut. Also mentioned I had to cut some of the fender flare and the exhaust. Angle grinder made quick work of it.

724DD76A-D29E-462B-9D43-CD1D03B477D5.jpeg

Finally everything was clearances. Mounted everything up and the project was finally completed.

A3521588-4962-48D1-8986-B4D398C7A2E0.jpeg
389D08E1-F428-4610-9802-E7FAE3B31435.jpeg

So originally the ladder was supposed to be a jerry can holder but they sent the wrong part. Called 4x4 labs and we worked it out so the ladder is going to stay but will be adding the can holder on top of it. Plan is for maxtrax to move to the tire and when the can holder arrives throwing some water cans back there.

Someone was selling a brand new KC 50” light bar on fb market for a deal that was hard to pass up. The wife and daughter were going to the mainland for a week so it was a perfect time to do a bunch of work. After I bought the light bar, I opted to replace my broken driving lights mounted to the front bumper, stayed with KC TO match. I had the auxbeam 8 switch controller sitting around that I’ve been meaning to get to. Prinsu also sent me replacement hardware as the mounting feet on mine were rusted.

1BB1A92D-EC7D-40B0-8882-A9C0F789A9C5.jpeg

First was a simple project, remove and replace the driving lights. This was a relatively quick job.

1CC62B38-9B13-4A41-9EA6-32242F8B7104.jpeg

Test fitted just the light bar and it just barely didn’t fit and it was sitting on the roof so I could not adjust it.

0F789468-72AE-43B9-A221-020B834AF79E.jpeg

This was the bracket it came with and I figured I could just cut it and drill some holes and make it work.

3EC0B213-B1D3-40A8-8C69-D16A0AADFB95.jpeg

Here is what I ended up with. The KC light bar has adjustable ends so I loosened those up and it dropped right in.

09AD2644-ECFF-4077-ABF7-D843662A5C0C.jpeg

I absolutely love the look of these. I haven’t wired them to test them out quite yet. Saturday I’ll be putting in my snorkel and routing the wiring through there.

I was going to have someone install it but they had a last minute emergency. I used the template provided by safari, marked out all the holes and mocked it up a few times before making the final holes. I used a punch then drilled out some pilot holes. After that a hole saw with arbor for the big hole and a step drill of the others.
0508BD07-93DE-489F-BF60-24746348291E.jpeg

Did a mock fitting with most of the holes in place. Some of the holes needed a little opening but overall the template was spot on. I attached the a pillar mount to the snorkel and traced it onto painters tape that I laid and drilled the holes.
325D62F7-8636-4645-98E7-153360D70579.jpeg

The hardest part of it all was probably attaching all the hardware. I’ve got thick forearms so reaching back there was a pita. I ended up with a lot of bruises. Attaching the hose to the air box was also a pita.
6E90A07B-AB58-4BCB-8083-79607979028B.jpeg

I was able to get everything all buttoned up. Connect all the lights to my auxbeam control panel. Cleaned up a ton of wiring under the hood and took it out wheeling with some gxs and Suzukis. Had a great time and just showed how good the lc80 platform is next to others.

966BD3AA-2CB5-4C8C-85D5-B3AD3D240CE9.jpeg

Got that over-lander look for sure !

Added RBG rock lights. Don’t really like them so I’ll probably swap it out for some white ones when I get the chance. Was able to get all my lights aimed. The KCs are very nice.

52E1AAB0-FD94-4B96-85A3-5F51DFE6F671.jpeg

Added some DIY limb risers as well. Only $45 for all the parts from the hardware store.

BE883B38-CFF3-4FB1-8809-E4B410389E46.jpeg

Did a trail run with some gx guys, another 80 and a jeep.

62C31112-E091-4BE5-AE01-8175DFDEEA50.jpeg
582C2A87-58BC-4002-A4A5-71AE23A04B83.jpeg
3164D930-99F6-4A0F-A0A1-26D8CDCA247E.jpeg
ACB882FD-73EF-4A3A-BC79-34AA168CB346.jpeg

Did a few things. Two trail camp outs and some late night fishing trips. After doing the fishing trip and reversing blindly into the night, I decided it was time to do some sort of back up lights. I had the s2s in the back for a while but the beam pattern didn’t really suit the purpose. Had a friend that wanted them for ditch lights and ended up using that money to pick up s1 flood lights. Perfect pattern for the job.
6C3E8EC7-D1EA-47DF-82DC-5802B86064F1.jpeg

I did a few other small things for my camping setup. Got a small goal zero to run some lights off the awning and charge phones on overnighters.

C1C5BA26-C171-421D-B1E5-BDC071C23E75.jpeg

After the last trail run i did an inspection once we got to our camp site. My birds are leaking with no clicks. Also looks like my steering box is leaking as well. There is a junked 80 series here so going to check out the steering box on it. I ordered the knuckle rebuild kit should be here end of the week.
1FD3411A-C91C-47C5-ADB3-BC4C736963C4.jpeg

Did a few things. Two trail camp outs and some late night fishing trips. After doing the fishing trip and reversing blindly into the night, I decided it was time to do some sort of back up lights. I had the s2s in the back for a while but the beam pattern didn’t really suit the purpose. Had a friend that wanted them for ditch lights and ended up using that money to pick up s1 flood lights. Perfect pattern for the job.
View attachment 3131265

I did a few other small things for my camping setup. Got a small goal zero to run some lights off the awning and charge phones on overnighters.

View attachment 3131266

After the last trail run i did an inspection once we got to our camp site. My birds are leaking with no clicks. Also looks like my steering box is leaking as well. There is a junked 80 series here so going to check out the steering box on it. I ordered the knuckle rebuild kit should be here end of the week.
View attachment 3131273
Looking at the last picture it looks like you ready for tie rod ends as well 😝

Looking at the last picture it looks like you ready for tie rod ends as well 😝
Agreed good catch. Was really focused on the birf leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom