Builds 1994 Triple Locked Island Cruiser Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I am Ryan. Going to start a build thread.

Current (7/20/2021)

started off roading with a 2017 Tacoma. Did a pretty extensive build with it.
8A315E38-4785-47B4-B7DF-C1437DDAC090.jpeg
Just didn’t really care too much for the transmission always hunting for gears and for some reason I wanted a fast car and ended up with a F80 BMW M3. After a while I ended up missing the outdoor lifestyle of an off road vehicle.

I bought the new 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
5F1E4637-C53D-4DDB-AF3F-F81C92E44920.jpeg

The truck was absolutely awesome on 37s and just tackled anything thrown at it with ease. But we bought our first home (houses in Hawaii are ridiculously priced) so had to drop the gladiator. I followed a YouTube channel and I saw the land cruiser. I was really impressed with how it kept up with the gladiator. So when I needed to get something a little cheaper I knew I wanted an FJ80.

I searched for a while, I actually bought an lc80 out here that was an absolute dud. I then started to look on the mainland as there weren’t many out here in Hawaii. I found one in Las Vegas with a large list of receipts and had a friend check it out. Then flew up to Vegas and bought it. Then drove it to San Diego just hoping I’d make it close enough that if anything happened a tow truck could get me home. Made it all the way to San Diego temps and oil pressures solid all the way and no check engines. Truck ran perfectly. Put it on a boat to Hawaii and waited for it to make it out here.

592E10B1-A57B-4108-A4C5-D255FE8938D1.jpeg

Here she is when I picked her up.

694C9291-B2D3-451C-A63C-EA4466A6DED2.jpeg

Last edited:
Current
018DE20C-A192-4F66-B309-48EA67EED95E.jpeg

Suspension:
Stock

Wheels and Tires:
Raceline Klutch 17
Falken Wildpeak AT3 285/70r17

Armor:
Factory Bull Bar
Unknown Sliders

Outfitting:
Prinsu Rooftop
OVS TMBK RTT

Recovery:
Maxtrax Traction Boards

Parts on the way:
Dobinsons 2.5” Lift Kit

Last edited:
Welcome. Nice looking truck you found there

As you may be aware (or will be informed by the masses shortly) the factory “bull bar” is affectionately known as a damage multiplier. I’d consider ditching it ASAP as any encounters on or off road are likely to bend it into your sheet metal.

Enjoy the build. There are a few on here that sure the islands as home with you.

Got the truck registered and safety check (stupid law in Hawaii). Then took her out for a shake down run. Stay on the main trail of peacock flats. Pretty easy trail with a few obstacles you can go through or around. Tried a few.

F267B61A-4514-4729-94DB-5126BD2285FF.jpeg

9AEFC553-57AA-40BE-ACAF-607F51CFB022.jpeg

Some observations. The suspension seems “tired”. Happily already ordered a new suspension already. It was quite different being back on the smaller 33s. 37s didn’t really need to pay attention to the line I took. With the 33s I needed to a lot more. I did have a chance to test out the lockers and they were able to help me get through an obstacle I got hung up on. Planning to put on 35s with the lift.

The green with Bronze brushed wheels is a great look. Miss the island life!! Grew up in LC's on an island in the Carribean, they can conquer almost anything thrown at em. Which lift and tires did you ultimately go with?

Nice ride man, I still need to hit peacock flats and check it out with the fam. My buddy went up during the rains and damaged his truck but your pics make it look just fine when it’s dry.
Which 35s are you going with?

Yes the green and bronze do look pretty good together. I don’t really like these particular wheels but I will be going with bronze wheels next. I ordered a dobinsons 2.5 lift through exit off road and going to go with toyo mts once they are off back order.
The green with Bronze brushed wheels is a great look. Miss the island life!! Grew up in LC's on an island in the Carribean, they can conquer almost anything thrown at em. Which lift and tires did you ultimately go with?

Nice ride man, I still need to hit peacock flats and check it out with the fam. My buddy went up during the rains and damaged his truck but your pics make it look just fine when it’s dry.
Which 35s are you going with?
Thanks a lot! The main trail is pretty tame although it is a lot more rutted out than I recall just in the last few months. With that said I did see a Subaru make it all the way to the camp grounds and I was pretty impressed. I’ll be going with toyo mts once they are off back order.

Right on. I’ll probably get out there in June for some off-roading and sight-seeing.
Looking forward to your build. I have a 94 too but my paint is wrecked. Yours looks great!

E komo mai. I’ll follow your build. You’ve got a great start with that nice paint. I really like those low-profile Prinsu roof racks.

I’ve got a ’96, triple locked, same color. I bought it from a guy from sunny Ewa Beach and it was never garaged. On mine the paint and every plastic part inside and out is tired!

Aloha,
Polo
Bruh, Same. 😂

My paint so faded, the cruiser looks like a straight beater.

Aloha from the Kona,

Nice ride. I'm running 35" ATW3's. Got sick of the Road noise on my MT's. But I wheel on more lava here so an AT tire works better. Spyduh is right wrong model for a cheap build. Focus on Baselining your rig. I spent way over $1k just baselining my rig All hoses, fluids, PCV, t-stat, plugs, wires, Charocoal filter, fuel filters, O2 sensors the list goes on. @witsend has an awesome selection
. Caster correction is important @Delta VS has a great bracket. You're on the right forum. This is just part of the build I did.
Welcome to the addiction!

You bought the wrong truck for a budget build. Land cruisers are expensive money pits. But you'll enjoy it though =). Welcome to the cruiser family addiction.
Don’t want to call it a “budget” build. Just not as expensive as a rubicon.

Aloha from the Kona,

Nice ride. I'm running 35" ATW3's. Got sick of the Road noise on my MT's. But I wheel on more lava here so an AT tire works better. Spyduh is right wrong model for a cheap build. Focus on Baselining your rig. I spent way over $1k just baselining my rig All hoses, fluids, PCV, t-stat, plugs, wires, Charocoal filter, fuel filters, O2 sensors the list goes on. @witsend has an awesome selection
. Caster correction is important @Delta VS has a great bracket. You're on the right forum. This is just part of the build I did.
Welcome to the addiction!

the PO actually took care of all the baselining. He gave me almost 8k worth of receipts baselining and maintenance. Pretty much every gasket was changed, the cooling system replaced. I did pay a pretty penny for it but I do think it was worth the extra money for the peace of mind.

the PO actually took care of all the baselining. He gave me almost 8k worth of receipts baselining and maintenance. Pretty much every gasket was changed, the cooling system replaced. I did pay a pretty penny for it but I do think it was worth the extra money for the peace of mind.
The baselining is the cheap part. The mods is where it gets expensive!

The baselining is the cheap part. The mods is where it gets expensive!
Yes it is. Be wary of the "Crack Dealers" @NXLTCY @witsend is the worst and my favorite (Kidding Joey). @Delta VS (Dave) is awesome! Yodatech, Landcruiser Phil and the others I have missed mentioning. If you think the Rubicon was expensive.....total your receipts after two years 🤯 :flipoff2::p

The PO of my rig actually did the opposite, he did a bunch of mods and never baselined it. Also, had to redo some of his work and finisha the caster correction and adjustments. Still adding stuff and enjoying the build.

Yes it is. Be wary of the "Crack Dealers" @NXLTCY @witsend is the worst and my favorite (Kidding Joey). @Delta VS (Dave) is awesome! Yodatech, Landcruiser Phil and the others I have missed mentioning. If you think the Rubicon was expensive.....total your receipts after two years 🤯 :flipoff2::p
I think they are more like Meth Dealers than crack. lol. you can't ever get enough!
My wallet still hurts but I still buy more s***. I'm methd up with all these 80 parts.

I think they are more like Meth Dealers than crack. lol. you can't ever get enough!
My wallet still hurts but I still buy more s***. I'm methd up with all these 80 parts.
I resemble
I resemble that comment. My purchases only rival my wife's Amazon purchases. However, they're a bit more spendy. Damn, if they only stopped making cool stuff! Just ordered the the @lcp shift lever extender along with other goodies 🤣!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom