Builds 1994 Triple Locked Island Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like you went all out, adjustable upper and lower rear control arm and the hole bit. I see you ordered the 2.5" lift from Dobinson. I'm running the same front springs C97-146VTs, I really like these springs they ride really nice and are very flexi, I think you well like them.
Do your self a favor do some research on Caster correction bushing ( they SUCK) 1) If you look at the stock bushing the mounting hole is centered, with the CCB the mounting holes are off set so one side of the bushings have no cushion or give and there made of polyurethane ( much harder the rubber) = harsh ride.
2) Even if you only get 2.5" of lift for your spring the Caster correction bushing are likely not going to give you sufficient correction.
3) Across the board People have reported more lift then advertised from the Dobi Springs including me, I'm getting 3.5" of lift from my C97-146VT even with a heavy duty front bumper with a 10k winch and a 78LB. grope 31 battery. Your likely to see 4" of lift from those spring with your setup.
For the best setup go with Delta VS arms, If that's too spendy go with the Land Tank caster correction plates and replace all 6 bushing in the front control arms.
I can all most guarantee you will back in there changing it up if you go with the CCB. Just my 2 cents been there and done that

PS my CCB actually spun around in there holes ( not good ) I do like to wheel Ha ha
View attachment 2687021
Nice rig! My plan was to just see how the lift comes out to see if I like the height or want to go a little higher. If I do like the height I will do the delta or slee arms.

Short updates,

Pulled the trigger and preordered a set of SCS Gen5s that should he here next week. I preordered bronze but theyre going to hold a set of gloss gunmetals for me as well. Going to see them in person first. Finding a set of 35s has been near impossible here in Hawaii. I really liked the Toyo MTs I had on my Gladiator but they seem to be on back order everywhere here in Hawaii. BFG KM3s and Yokohama Geolanders were also considerations but they are all on back order as well. There are Nittos locally but Im not really a fan of them. So the wheels may have to sit for a while. Lift is scheduled to go in on Saturday with pics to follow.

Lift is on! I gained approx 3 inches of lift. I kind of forgot to take hub to fender measurements but I did measure to the top of the truck prior to the lift and it was about a 3” gain. The truck is about as lifted as I’d like it to be. The 33s look tiny now im still struggling to find a set of 35s. I wasn’t able to do the caster correction due to time constraints but surprisingly I’m not getting any harsh vibrations. The alignment is terribly off. But outside of that it drives great. The shock and spring combo are incredible. Driving it home I was preparing myself for the bumps but they just never happened. The shocks/springs ate it up like butter. The only things I’ll say negatively about the stuff and they’re really small details, I don’t care for the unfinished metal look of the drop brackets. I wish they were powder coated. I’ll end up just hitting them with some rattle can paint later. Secondly there were no instructions at all. Otherwise very high quality kit and would recommend to anyone. Pictures to come tomorrow.

The next step is going to be wheels and tires. I am thinking of going to a -38 offset after seeing how close the tires are to the frame with these small 285/70/17s. 35s will cut it much closer. I’m debating going with Mickey Thompson Baja boss m/t because it’s the only set of 35s on the island. I really want toyos but it seems like they’re out until august and I don’t really want to just have my new wheels sitting around. If anyone has had experience with Mickey Thompson’s please feel free to use some feedback.

Lift is on! I gained approx 3 inches of lift. I kind of forgot to take hub to fender measurements but I did measure to the top of the truck prior to the lift and it was about a 3” gain. The truck is about as lifted as I’d like it to be. The 33s look tiny now im still struggling to find a set of 35s. I wasn’t able to do the caster correction due to time constraints but surprisingly I’m not getting any harsh vibrations. The alignment is terribly off. But outside of that it drives great. The shock and spring combo are incredible. Driving it home I was preparing myself for the bumps but they just never happened. The shocks/springs ate it up like butter. The only things I’ll say negatively about the stuff and they’re really small details, I don’t care for the unfinished metal look of the drop brackets. I wish they were powder coated. I’ll end up just hitting them with some rattle can paint later. Secondly there were no instructions at all. Otherwise very high quality kit and would recommend to anyone. Pictures to come tomorrow.

The next step is going to be wheels and tires. I am thinking of going to a -38 offset after seeing how close the tires are to the frame with these small 285/70/17s. 35s will cut it much closer. I’m debating going with Mickey Thompson Baja boss m/t because it’s the only set of 35s on the island. I really want toyos but it seems like they’re out until august and I don’t really want to just have my new wheels sitting around. If anyone has had experience with Mickey Thompson’s please feel free to use some feedback.
Nice man. Bet it looks great! And if it feels like butter on these trashed roads of Oahu, then you know you have some quality components!
If you haven’t done caster correction, you won’t get driveline vibes. After caster correction is typically when your driveline angles go out of whack introducing non-uniform velocity to your driveshaft, which causes the vibes. I just got done lifting my rig and ended up netting about 4.25 inches from a 3” lift kit. Aside from the squirrelly handling from the -4* caster, I have no vibes. My radius arms will be in Monday and should correct my caster to +4* and it very well may vibe after that. I’ll end up looking for a DC shaft or maybe part time as baldilocks, bilt4me, and DVS suggested for me.

Nice man. Bet it looks great! And if it feels like butter on these trashed roads of Oahu, then you know you have some quality components!
If you haven’t done caster correction, you won’t get driveline vibes. After caster correction is typically when your driveline angles go out of whack introducing non-uniform velocity to your driveshaft, which causes the vibes. I just got done lifting my rig and ended up netting about 4.25 inches from a 3” lift kit. Aside from the squirrelly handling from the -4* caster, I have no vibes. My radius arms will be in Monday and should correct my caster to +4* and it very well may vibe after that. I’ll end up looking for a DC shaft or maybe part time as baldilocks, bilt4me, and DVS suggested for me.
Nice!! I’m still trying to figure out what to do with caster correction. I have the caster correction bushings sitting here but after a lot of reading and feedback, it doesn’t really seem to the best option. I’m also anticipating putting some weight on the truck (bumpers/winch) so it may bring the truck down once the springs settle as well. I am slightly worried about introducing driveline vibrations with caster correction so I do want to keep the correction as low as possible to get it in spec. One option that I found kind of interesting is the radius arm drop bracket. But then it’s just another thing to get caught up on. But here in Hawaii there isn’t really a lot of rock crawling so I’m kind of looking at it as an option.

Nice!! I’m still trying to figure out what to do with caster correction. I have the caster correction bushings sitting here but after a lot of reading and feedback, it doesn’t really seem to the best option. I’m also anticipating putting some weight on the truck (bumpers/winch) so it may bring the truck down once the springs settle as well. I am slightly worried about introducing driveline vibrations with caster correction so I do want to keep the correction as low as possible to get it in spec. One option that I found kind of interesting is the radius arm drop bracket. But then it’s just another thing to get caught up on. But here in Hawaii there isn’t really a lot of rock crawling so I’m kind of looking at it as an option.
Yeah, it’s def an option. Lots of people seem to rave about eimkeith (sp?) drop brackets. I haven’t looked into those because I didn’t know they corrected caster as well. I simply dismissed them because I didn’t want to weld anything to hang lower on my rig. And I can’t weld. :flipoff2:
For me it is mostly about having a planted feel while driving. If by doing so I introduce vibes, I guess I’ll just do as everyone else and try the DC shaft. It’s just money and time right?😜

Picture or it didn't happan

It's all a crap shoot, I had vibes with a 31/2" lift and no caster correction. some do some don't. could be the condition of the drive shaft and or other contributing factors.
Tom woods is a excellent source for DC driveshafts if one becomes necessary.

Nice!! I’m still trying to figure out what to do with caster correction. I have the caster correction bushings sitting here but after a lot of reading and feedback, it doesn’t really seem to the best option. I’m also anticipating putting some weight on the truck (bumpers/winch) so it may bring the truck down once the springs settle as well. I am slightly worried about introducing driveline vibrations with caster correction so I do want to keep the correction as low as possible to get it in spec. One option that I found kind of interesting is the radius arm drop bracket. But then it’s jhttps://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/updated-eimkeith-ram-radius-arm-mount-install.1241709/ust another thing to get caught up on. But here in Hawaii there isn’t really a lot of rock crawling so I’m kind of looking at it as an option.
Here's a tread on the @eimkeith RAM mount. It's a quality product along with the rest of his offerings.
It only good for a 2" lift unless you use something else ( the bushing you have ) to dial in a few more degrees. End users and really happy with them through ;)
Unless your a hard core rock crawler the loss of ground clearance should not be a issue 🤷‍♂️
And I don't think there a caster correction bushing that corrects enough for a 31/2 lift, so your bushing and a RAM mount mite be the way to go.

As promised...
034C396A-1ED4-4973-9248-D32ABD0179A8.jpeg

8B293F3E-10D8-4921-A530-3C6D42B709BD.jpeg

The lift makes these 33s look tiny. Anyhow next up SCS Gen5 and Yokohama Geolander M/Ts in 35x12.5x17 are both on the way.

Here's a tread on the @eimkeith RAM mount. It's a quality product along with the rest of his offerings.
It only good for a 2" lift unless you use something else ( the bushing you have ) to dial in a few more degrees. End users and really happy with them through ;)
Unless your a hard core rock crawler the loss of ground clearance should not be a issue 🤷‍♂️
And I don't think there a caster correction bushing that corrects enough for a 31/2 lift, so your bushing and a RAM mount mite be the way to go.

The plan for now is, get the truck aligned then see where I’m at for caster. Put on front bumper and let the springs settle a bit then check my caster again. Once I get that final caster then I’ll just buy new radius arms and that will be that. Planning on doing front bumper in January or so maybe sooner (September bonuses). So I think I’ll be able to drive it for now with the caster off.

Took the cruiser out to a usual spot. I’ve taken out my gladiator and the land cruiser 80 prior to lifting it to this same place so it was a good place to compare. The dobinsons 2.5vt is amazing. The ride quality was really great. It was pretty close to my gladiator rubicon with the mopar lift. It ate up the bumps. So much less rattling of everything. It felt more controlled. If your on the wall about going with dobinsons… please just buy them. I could have save a lot of money on shipping out to Hawaii going with OME instead of dobinsons but I’m really happy I spent the extra money.

C18F006F-CE4E-4B95-A53F-D84604DAA1AD.jpeg

BBDB5B8F-EEFB-43F8-A999-2090D4E6B370.jpeg

42DCC10B-17BD-4EAB-B144-D343A99F066F.jpeg

9AAD60D2-2D37-4648-941F-D0CDE71180CC.jpeg

Today’s updates…
Went for alignment today. They dialed in my pan hards and my adjustable rear control arms. Caster is at -2.5 currently. Wheels came in just didn’t have time to mount them. The new scs gen5s are really good looking. I put 35x12.5x17 geolandar mts. They measured out pretty much right at 35”. They’re slightly on the narrower side 11.5”

25FE6916-3F4E-441D-8FAF-5BDB4817A492.jpeg

04CAAE9A-DD5A-4C34-9F89-EC93B1452155.jpeg

7C50B1CF-3DF6-4378-9004-E5699FDFC9DC.jpeg

Today’s updates…
Went for alignment today. They dialed in my pan hards and my adjustable rear control arms. Caster is at -2.5 currently. Wheels came in just didn’t have time to mount them. The new scs gen5s are really good looking. I put 35x12.5x17 geolandar mts. They measured out pretty much right at 35”. They’re slightly on the narrower side 11.5”

View attachment 2704873

View attachment 2704874

View attachment 2704875
The wheels and tires look great man. Did you have to special order the tires? I know it’s damn near impossible to find 35s here.

I personally don’t like any negative caster. Makes things a little too hairy on the freeway. Granted mine was -4*.
I have my appointment at the same place you got your alignment tomorrow.

The wheels and tires look great man. Did you have to special order the tires? I know it’s damn near impossible to find 35s here.

I personally don’t like any negative caster. Makes things a little too hairy on the freeway. Granted mine was -4*.
I have my appointment at the same place you got your alignment tomorrow.

thanks bro! I got them off Amazon. Cheaper than buying locally and 2 day shipping for free. I’m always okay with spending a little extra to keep it local but no one had anything.

I’m not really on the freeway too long with the cruiser so it’s not too bad. I’m going to be putting a bumper on in the later part of the year. So once that happens I’ll see where I’m at for caster then do correction at that point.

Took the cruiser out to a usual spot. I’ve taken out my gladiator and the land cruiser 80 prior to lifting it to this same place so it was a good place to compare. The dobinsons 2.5vt is amazing. The ride quality was really great. It was pretty close to my gladiator rubicon with the mopar lift. It ate up the bumps. So much less rattling of everything. It felt more controlled. If your on the wall about going with dobinsons… please just buy them. I could have save a lot of money on shipping out to Hawaii going with OME instead of dobinsons but I’m really happy I spent the extra money.

View attachment 2703177

View attachment 2703178

View attachment 2703179

View attachment 2703185
Looks like there are quite a few of us 80 owners on the island. 👍
DC7A703C-0E31-4D4A-9029-BD0ACA98CE63.jpeg

One of the guys that did my lift saw your truck and showed me a picture of it. Sick build!
Thanks man. I don’t have the patience to take phots and document my build, but I like reading everyone else’s. 😂
My brother also has an 80 (Antique Sage) on Black F5s with 37s, if you see it around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom