Builds Build: 1994 Project - "Spring" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Knuckle job prep -- the standard rite of passage. Thanks to Cruiser Teq for parts and a good friend for helping me out with this one. I went ahead and upgraded to the longer birfs and matching longer front axle flanges. I would have guessed this model already had them as it was built just after the supposed transition in 1994, but perhaps there were a number still coming off the line with the '93 and early '94 shorter birfs.

20211228_215333.jpg
20211229_194354.jpg

Knuckle -- initial disassembly:

20211230_122958 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Mandatory repair -- replacing all of those darn dash lights!!!

Last edited:
Cleaned up the front axle along with the full diff fluid service. I replaced the magnetic drain plugs, new fill plugs, crush washers, put Mobil 1 75w90 full synthetic in the transfer case, and 80w90 Lucas High Performance oil in the front and rear differentials.

20220821_154400.jpg

Last edited:
This one took a few days, but updated the radio to a bluetooth Sony unit and opened it up to perform the dash light replacement!

20220618_184144.jpg
20220821_160310.jpg

Last edited:
Backup camera added to rear bumper. Can you see the lens?

Wired this one into the head unit and reverse lights to automatically feed video when put in reverse

20220626_165618.jpg

Last edited:
Top end is coming together. Everything cleaned up, new timing gears and chain are in and hooked up, new water pump is in place. A couple more items were added to the build list on post #39. Will keep adding to it as anything else it found that could use replacement along the way.

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! I am right there with you. Just got my head back on Friday, but have been dealing with body mounts and the fuel system first. I plan on getting started on the head today. It's getting exciting, but such a long way to go!

Looking good! I am right there with you. Just got my head back on Friday, but have been dealing with body mounts and the fuel system first. I plan on getting started on the head today. It's getting exciting, but such a long way to go!
Nice! You don't mess around FMC80 taking those on at the same time as an engine build! I went with new motor and transmission mounts, but the body mounts didn't seem to be bad. I am curious what your results end up looking / feeling like -- what a project!

Last edited:
Nice! You don't mess around FMC80 taking those on at the same time as an engine build! I went with new motor and transmission mounts, but the body mounts didn't seem to be bad. I am curious what your results end up looking / feeling like -- what a project!
Don't commend me. I almost won a Darwin award. ;)

Three words: Don't do it. Caveat: unless you have access to a lift. It'll make things safer and easier, and the maintenance will take a fraction as long as it took me. You can check out the shade-tree mechanic way I did mine. I followed another Mud member's example. I'll never do it again. Too precarious, and I'm not certain the gains are worth it. You can check out my thread and see for yourself.

Success!!!

Huge kudos to Peter on this one and I am really glad I turned to a professional. I know many people on this forum would be willing to take on an engine build themselves and my hat is off to you. Realizing I would love to TRY a rebuild myself, but didn't have time right now for that large of a project and wanted it done right the first time - Peter delivered. With the new block, all seals, hoses, gaskets and a hundred other items, the engine is in and purring away. Well, running like a well oiled sewing machine I should say.

The engine has already been through its first break in oil change, but I will still be gentle with it for the next 500 miles or so and plan to change it again.

This was one fun drive home.

20230211_124638.jpg

Congrats!! Huge milestone for you and your cruiser!
Thank you! Appreciate it FMC80 and the advice you passed to me on on injectors and other bits on the side. I took a look at you build thread and all I can say is WOW. I can see where that should be required reading. I am still reading through it - but the insight is priceless and fun to read through the interchanges of some of the big names on Ih8mud. Good luck!

Castor correction applied! Delta 4 radius arms for the front. These things are not cheap, but between this and the rear panhard lift bracket it is amazing how much better the vehicle handles

20230326_180649.jpg

20230326_191726.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom