Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d clean that throttle body, it’s pretty thick with sticky crud. The inside of you engine is quite cruddy too. Start running Diesel engine oil and it will slowly clean that mess up.

Good work and a fun read..... takes me back a few years to those many months of baselining. :cheers:
Thank you! I'm very excited to get this completed, it'll be a pretty significant milestone for me.
I’d clean that throttle body, it’s pretty thick with sticky crud. The inside of you engine is quite cruddy too. Start running Diesel engine oil and it will slowly clean that mess up.
WILCO, I definitely will clean and clean and clean. Thanks for weighing in on the valve train Steve. I'm not so concerned based on your thoughts. Additionally, I run Shell Rotella but living on an island and only driving my rig on weekends, it takes a while to get to a point of having numerous oil changes. I will change the oil after this and keep running the diesel oil as you recommended.

edit* @baldilocks: biggest mistake of your life was commenting on my thread. You have now just become my internet mechanic mentor too :rofl:

Last edited:
Copy on cleaning and replacing hoses, vac lines, etc. I'm going to stop for the day and let my body recover from the 12 hours of wrenching yesterday.
Let it recover a few days. Installing my SC and doing other things while I was in there took 10hrs. My whole body was sore the day after.

Alrighty, got the TB and valve cover cleaned up. I might do as @MyWhiteSheep suggests and spray a little wrinkle-black by VHT. I like that stuff.
EC9B1064-C667-4F28-B402-BCAE7953B6FC.jpeg
3838A2D3-C897-4486-8B3C-4553F29479A8.jpeg
8E336F3E-4FC5-4080-83F3-F641D2379A13.jpeg
ADB2DA49-5CB1-48D6-AF45-2BECB3F02285.jpeg

In other news, I pulled out the PCV grommet and it looks to me like there is more grommet than supposed to be. I pulled out the original which broke but noticed another piece of grommet that seems to be left overs from the PO.
On to the pics:
3F4BF75D-D7F6-406B-87FF-85A63E1EF37E.jpeg

what do you guys suggest I do with this? Take it off and clean it or clean it while attached? It’s my intake manifold and it’s pretty dirty in there
FC90C3C1-9916-42C9-982E-EE27995823DD.jpeg

The upper plenum and manifold would need to be removed and cleaned in a parts washer. I cleaned mine and netted a 50HP gain and 5 mpg....... NOT

I’d say clean it one day when it has to come off for that HG job that’s in your future.

The upper plenum and manifold would need to be removed and cleaned in a parts washer. I cleaned mine and netted a 50HP gain and 5 mpg....... NOT

I’d say clean it one day when it has to come off for that HG job that’s in your future.
Hahaha, I almost believed you. I believe my HG is different than every other 80 out there and will never fail. :flipoff2:

In other news, I pulled out the PCV grommet and it looks to me like there is more grommet than supposed to be. I pulled out the original which broke but noticed another piece of grommet that seems to be left overs from the PO.
On to the pics:View attachment 2671196

what do you guys suggest I do with this? Take it off and clean it or clean it while attached? It’s my intake manifold and it’s pretty dirty in there View attachment 2671197
If this isn't your daily driver, I'll take it off and clean it. That port is completely blocked. Other ports may also be blocked.

Also when you take it off, you could/should replace your hose. I'm sure they are brittle and some may be cracked.

If this isn't your daily driver, I'll take it off and clean it. That port is completely blocked. Other ports may also be blocked.

Also when you take it off, you could/should replace your hose. I'm sure they are brittle and some may be cracked.
Well, it isn’t my daily right now but in June it will be. I’ll look at the options of taking it off vs cleaning it to the best of my ability while installed. I’m just stepping into this level of maintenance so I’m reluctant because a lack of experience. But I’m up for challenges so we will see what I can do on my timeline. Thanks for the heads up.

If it runs well and you are not failing emissions testing forget about it.

Good evening fellas, need a little assist. I searched online to no avail and need anyone to provide an opinion on this. I cleaned the valve cover and inspected it. The second and third pictures are of the same area, I just wanted to adjust the lighting for a better visual. Are these cracks or casting marks? Has anyone else seen these in their valve cover? Am I parting out my ride or can I run this without issue? I don't have an eddy current or any other nondestructive inspection ability. Visual only.
IMG_1043.jpeg
IMG_1044.jpeg
IMG_1045.jpeg

First let me say that I have really no experience to base this on, but I would think these are casting marks. My reasoning based on looking at your pictures is that a crack would look like there was a void of some sort. From your photo I can't see one, the rest of the surface of the valve cover has lots of texture form the casting. I'll be eager to hear what the experts round here have to say. You really need to get the adoption paperwork going so you can get that hands on mentoring. Maybe you can host a '93 '94 80 series summer camp for all of us and we can help you baseline your rig. I just got my second shot, sign me up!

First let me say that I have really no experience to base this on, but I would think these are casting marks. My reasoning based on looking at your pictures is that a crack would look like there was a void of some sort. From your photo I can't see one, the rest of the surface of the valve cover has lots of texture form the casting. I'll be eager to hear what the experts round here have to say. You really need to get the adoption paperwork going so you can get that hands on mentoring. Maybe you can host a '93 '94 80 series summer camp for all of us and we can help you baseline your rig. I just got my second shot, sign me up!
Hahaha! I created a new thread on the tech forum for assist and the think tanks have weighed in stating it is a non-issue.
Hope you’re not down and out from the second shot...I felt tired but others were out very sick.
As for the adoption, I think I’ll just slowly move a few things of mine into his house and just be there a lot until it’s normal and I’m accepted. Like a parasite, I’ll just dig in.

The pile of parts are getting smaller going back together with my baseline efforts feels satisfying and worthwhile. I’m still waiting on a few parts to arrive; ones I didn’t expect to need but that’s how it goes sometimes. I was really surprised by my heater bypass hardline. The o-rings failed and allowed crud to infiltrate; glad I got it R2’d. Tomorrow the rest of my parts and tools arrive so I’ll be pulling the crank pulley and getting after 304ft lbs of torquing and R2ing my oil pump cover o-ring. Then my buddy is set to come over to assist with new OEM extended brake lines and bleed procedure as well as installing my Slinky suspension. Gotta get rested, big day tomorrow. Finally, one of my dogs who is always with me was fast asleep and I had to take that pic. Enjoy
5048516B-A6B4-49AC-90B4-AC25F7CE69A6.jpeg
B19E6A7B-E33D-4CF5-B545-2D6B0A3E6F61.jpeg
FFB1CAC5-A87B-4369-9E73-C7E74E35C6A1.jpeg
F37769F5-FE22-4706-830E-A5830A3109A6.jpeg
39124210-2903-4600-8561-45AAAA930D4C.jpeg
20A74297-7AAA-4FBE-A6B0-7CAAB5C08846.jpeg

Okay so today didn’t go as planned. I had a lot planned but I didn’t get any of it done. No brake lines changed out. I inventoried my stack and realized I’m missing the rear center one so I didn’t touch them. Some suspension installed. And some crank seal replaced.
First issues I ran into are the rear sway bar brackets that are in my lift kit are for under the frame rail. Well turns out I don’t have captive nuts there. So I suppose I have to get some rivnuts or something else. I have an email out to LCP to see if there’s a different solution. I finished up the rear suspension and got the Delta rear panhard bracket installed, that was a pain in the ass but overall easy to do.
The front suspension didn’t come out willingly; the US DS was over torqued and I ended up having to notch out the metal shield to create a window to grab the strut with some vice grips. Paint in the ass.
All my suspension bushings are trash. They look like they have leprosy. Leprosy bushings. I didn’t want to touch them in fear of contracting the disease.
So tomorrow is a new day and I’ll keep pressing with the oil pump cover gasket and then work on cleaning up the harmonic balancer. It’s in good shape, just really oily and dirty.
Plan is to get the radiator installed by Wednesday and the suspension finished up by the weekend. I ordered the brake line but it always takes forever to get to me.
Onto the pics because pics are fun.
71C49AE3-F86E-479F-9237-33EE2495E23A.jpeg

4ADE7DC4-2376-4C19-B0B3-0B009D3F9D5B.jpeg
64ABAB56-4211-48C3-933C-AB96961256AD.jpeg
FD97248D-FBD7-4599-956C-C21963BFBC73.jpeg
7B6D98AE-C197-44ED-B037-937945DB4F83.jpeg
8D759568-A905-4AA0-B2F5-26DBDD519827.jpeg

I bought this crank holder on Amazon since Otramm was out of stock. This $40 tool worked very well.
F49BCD44-A1C6-4926-B3B9-5FF31EBEB8C0.jpeg

What springs did you get?

My vehicle has a similar bushing disorder. Im excited to see this progress!:popcorn: GO man GO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom