1993 PZJ 70 air con 23,500km since new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just bought this rare find a couple months ago for 4,500 us dollars, after hunting the scrap yards found everything to repair it. It sat in a yard for six years never touched, i shot some ether into the breather and fired up first crank...toyota makes an incredible vehicle
IMG_0120.JPG

im looking for some toys to really make it mine...any one know where in the US or Canada i can get chrome grill, indicator housing, trim pieces etc?\

Good find. You can get the metal grill sandblasted and chromed,most of the used ones wont be looking all that great now.

the grill is actually plastic, i know what you are talking about though, My father has an 88 bj70 with the metal grills

the grill is actually plastic, i know what you are talking about though, My father has an 88 bj70 with the metal grills

I didnt notice it was a 93. The best place to get a chrome plastic grill is on aussie ebay.I think they go for $140
They were usually found on the HDJ78/79 but I think the South American and Middle East 7* series also had them.

A bit of advice,remove the fibreglass flares and check for rust.Also check for dirt/mud at the rear of the wheel arches

Is this one from Japan,it has that look?

Nice find ! It comes with the Aisan 1000 winch !

that is a very, very nice looking machine, and with a timewarp engine. congrats !

thanks for the flares advice... i already removed them and did find the red cancer that had grown happily for a few years...these pics are from a few months ago i have since cut out all the cancer, re welded the bottom halves of the doors, cut two sections of the frame and re welded in new steel, replaced all fuel, brake lines, rebuilt the clutch, front/rear diffs, suspension, and tomorrow morning the last thing to do is put the frond discs on the lathe and re cut them. i have to say i was amazed that the air-con fired up first try after new belt installed. the five cylinder engine is really smooth compare to the 4 cylinder i have in my bj 70. i see that they seem to be hard to find in the us but ob=ver here the 70 swb are still roaming the roads... all imported from japan

thanks for the advice on the grill... ill upload new pics as soon as i figure out how to up my file limit

regards

just upload them on tinypic.com . then copy and paste the link that says "image code for furums" into a dialogue box on here

Love how it fired up after all those years. Did Toyota ever make a PZJ74?

Love how it fired up after all those years. Did Toyota ever make a PZJ74?

No,but they made a PZJ73 and 75 possibly a 76 or 77 series as well.
The reason they didnt make a 74 is because the 4 is for turbo .A 70 with a turbo is a 71 series and a 60 is a 61 series and so on.
In 1990 they changed the system to using a D,as in HDJ80 and a HDJ81 means it was for the japanese market.
Simple huh?;)

So you can't get a factory turbo setup for that motor in a MWB? I thought P was for coils post-'90's, same as R/L was '85 on? I got it all wrong.

So you can't get a factory turbo setup for that motor in a MWB? I thought P was for coils post-'90's, same as R/L was '85 on? I got it all wrong.

No turbo,unless you go aftermarket. P is 1PZ engine which is a 5 cyl version of the 1HZ. It replaced the 3B when it went out of production(for landcruisers) as the budget engine.
I think oz only got a 100 or so PZJ70/73 ,if that.

If a MWB had coils it was a 74 series,this is from 99-2004? when they stopped making them. There was no turbo,so using the 74 didnt make a difference.

Wouldn't a HZJ-74 or PZJ-74 have been a truck unit, you know like an all coil, factory turbo-diesel in a MWB 7x series body, 6-stud.

You could have comfort AND toughness. Man I should be in Toyota Marketing.

Wouldn't a HZJ-74 or PZJ-74 have been a truck unit, you know like an all coil, factory turbo-diesel in a MWB 7x series body, 6-stud.

You could have comfort AND toughness. Man I should be in Toyota Marketing.

A coil sprung HDJ74 with the 1HD FTE engine would be my dream cruiser(if they made one). They had some really nice colours in those years.
Of course there is still the 78/79 series with that engine and coils as an Australia only model;)

One in this colour
(I know its a 77)
toy-87.jpg

actually they did a full coil sprung 73/74 series ... LJ or KZJ ... light duty diffs front and rear ... light duty tranny ...
buy one, pull the POS engines, swap the front clip, install your HZ/HDT motor and tranny
and
your dreams come true.

actually they did a full coil sprung 73/74 series ... LJ or KZJ ... light duty diffs front and rear ... light duty tranny ...
buy one, pull the POS engines, swap the front clip, install your HZ/HDT motor and tranny
and
your dreams come true.

Hello Wayne,

Dou you still have your LJ/PZJ78 conversion?

Sorry for the hijack.

Aside from a few selected markets, the PZJ70 is a rather elusive beast... So it is always good to find one.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom