Sark's HZJ73 Adventures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, it's been long overdue for some maintenance. I'm pretty "green" when it comes to auto maintenance, which I'm sure is not common on this forum, for obvious reasons. I've been taking the cruiser to a local shop in MA, who have a Land Rover 101 Forward Control as their shop vehicle. They always have Defenders and series II Land Rovers in their shop, and are honestly just awesome all around. I decided this time around, I would do some of the routine maintenance myself, in order to get my feet wet, so to speak.

First up, I did an oil change (I have been using Chevron Delo 15w-40 religiously). The oil filter (90915-30002) was a pain in the ass - I thought someone had welded the thing on since last change. :) Eventually got it off, and with my OEM filter already on hand, I completed my first real maintenance job with the cruiser... yay... :cool:

Next, I had the much easier job of replacing the air filter (17801-68020). This one, as many of us know, is unbelievably easy, even a child could do it without question.

Finally, I wanted to replace the fuel filter (23303-64010). This hadn't been changed since I got the cruiser, and I've put about 17,000kms on it so far. From what I read, these really should be replaced at 10,000kms, so this was an overdue task. Thankfully the fuel filter wasn't welded shut, and ironically, the band-wrench I bought for the oil filter was used to efficiently loosen the fuel filter, instead. It didn't even fit the oil filter... :bang:

So, first round of the "routine" maintenance done - this time by myself, which feel much better than dropping the cruiser off at the shop. I plan on continuing to do this myself from now on, if possible.

View attachment 2956342

Nicely done! Most of the routine maintenance is no more difficult than what you just accomplished.

Two SST tools that will make your life easier are the OEM oil and fuel filter wrench.

Oil filter wrench P/N: 09228-10002

Fuel filter wrench P/N: 09228-64010

A533371B-9730-4EEB-B2AB-2711E65B8916.jpeg
113983CF-C868-485A-9423-85C1CCC3C9F5.jpeg
CC94C9C3-BC2D-48C0-91D7-A388D9110EAC.jpeg

Need help identifying a unit:

Anyone know the part number(s) for this "diagnosis" box? The inside appears to be fuses, but they are all gummed up and I can't quite tell what they are. Doesn't appear to be on any diagrams I can find. The wires from the box join the main collection of cables and wires that leads to the passenger compartment. Thinking some sort of sensor fuse box?

diagnosis.jpg

So I guess that box is an On-Board Diagnostics box (OBD) - still not finding any part numbers or info on it specifically for a HZJ73 or anything similar. It looks like something from factory, not aftermarket, but I may be wrong. Any leads?

The box is used for diagnosis of various systems on the vehicle by attaching a jumper between the various pins. Those aren't fuses, but electrical connectors to attach the jumpers to. The gummy stuff inside is some sort of dielectric grease put in at the factory, and should clean out with an electrical contact cleaner spray. It looks fine to me, any particular reason you want to replace it?

The box is used for diagnosis of various systems on the vehicle by attaching a jumper between the various pins. Those aren't fuses, but electrical connectors to attach the jumpers to. The gummy stuff inside is some sort of dielectric grease put in at the factory, and should clean out with an electrical contact cleaner spray. It looks fine to me, any particular reason you want to replace it?
Not really looking to replace it necessarily, just wanted to find out more about it. Thanks for the info!

Those wheels look really good on your rig !!

Keep them ;)

Thanks @FJ73Texas for the oil filter wrench item suggestion. Part arrived since last update!

Quick question for my FRP top friends out there…

What is the material in between the FRP top itself and the window frame? Sooner or later I will be repairing mine, and this has been crumbling since I imported the cruiser.

2C4BCA0D-5209-4F2F-BCEB-C1E3200203ED.jpeg

Glad you got the wrench. You will be thanking yourself for getting it on the next oil change.

Thanks @FJ73Texas for the oil filter wrench item suggestion. Part arrived since last update!

Quick question for my FRP top friends out there…

What is the material in between the FRP top itself and the window frame? Sooner or later I will be repairing mine, and this has been crumbling since I imported the cruiser.

View attachment 2974394
I’m not sure, but it looks like the same window tape/flashing used in RV windows.

Contact @cruiseroutfit I think he tackled the FRP weatherstrip issue before and carries the alternative weatherstrip used by him. Can't find the thread.

Contact @cruiseroutfit I think he tackled the FRP weatherstrip issue before and carries the alternative weatherstrip used by him. Can't find the thread.
I spoke to Kurt and grabbed weatherstripping while visiting Utah. More specifically i’m talking about the bonding material outside the frame metal. I’ll see if they know…

That’s the part I was talking about.
Window tape. 😉

Need some part number expertise...

I need to replace my wiper blades. Part number "85213-60040" seems to be the correct number, but is shown as out of production. I received "85214-35010" as the replacement part number from Amayama-UAE, and it appears they do not fit. Anyone replace their wiper blades? @OGBeno or others, any advice for me?

Pictures below to show mismatch...

IMG_8492.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

I need to replace my wiper blades. Part number "85213-60040" seems to be the correct number, but is shown as out of production. I received "85214-35010" as the replacement part number from Amayama-UAE, and it appears they do not fit. Anyone replace their wiper blades? @OGBeno or others, any advice for me?

View attachment 2975174
View attachment 2975175
If you don't need to go down the OEM wipers direct from Akio Toyoda's windshield wiper humidor :p, you can get vintage style blades from Napa that will work. They also carry inserts that should fit, as I've used those before mine broke.

Hello,

Any aftermarket 16 in./410 mm wiper will do the trick.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom