Builds 1992 FJ80 Basic Travel Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have. I'd actually like to have two full length panels split down the middle that both raise up to the ceiling. When it's just me I don't need both sides and I like the upstairs bunk concept so I can get up and down in the night. Would also be easier for me and my daughter as she gets older. My Nemo matress is set up to sleep on top of the storage box/fridge platform for a downstairs bunk.

I cut my roof and at first I used two Exped inflatable mats. This past fall I switched to a 3in foam with a bed platform that raises up out of the way on gas struts. The platform is cut in two, the front part is 60in in length and the back is 20in. I cut the foam into two separate pieces as well(main reason I switched to foam from the Exped mats). I can raise the back platform and crawl in bed and shut it behind me. I can raise the bed with the foam, bedding, and pillows no problem and stand up inside. However, I have to remove the pillows to latch the top down. It’s possible to keep the pillows up there, but I think you would have to go down to a 2in foam if you wanted to leave pillows up there. Here is a picture as I was building the front platform.

25A7F9B7-A63C-468D-BCAD-09621850DA69.jpeg

I cut my roof and at first I used two Exped inflatable mats. This past fall I switched to a 3in foam with a bed platform that raises up out of the way on gas struts. The platform is cut in two, the front part is 60in in length and the back is 20in. I cut the foam into two separate pieces as well(main reason I switched to foam from the Exped mats). I can raise the back platform and crawl in bed and shut it behind me. I can raise the bed with the foam, bedding, and pillows no problem and stand up inside. However, I have to remove the pillows to latch the top down. It’s possible to keep the pillows up there, but I think you would have to go down to a 2in foam if you wanted to leave pillows up there. Here is a picture as I was building the front platform.

View attachment 1883158

Well done. Do you have a build thread?

Hi @Smokefx.

That Kayak is a Necky Cruiser II. That's right: the cruiser rides atop the cruiser. It's probably 15 years old, and wasn't specifically designed for fishing. It's big -- almost 15' long, it's wider than almost anything sold today, and it's heavy. It had gone neglected in a family member's yard for years; I re-purposed it for ocean fishing and photography, and added a rod mount for trolling. It works great.

If I were shopping for a fishing kayak now, I'd look into finding a cheaper used one, and repurposing it for fishing (fishing kayaks are still relatively rare used, I think). Or, if shopping for a new boat, I'd look at Jackson kayaks. My travel partners paddle Jacksons and they make some really nice fishing boats. I'd also find one that's a little smaller and lighter than the one I have, just for ease of loading and unloading.
I kayak. The CoosaFD.
Hi @Smokefx.

That Kayak is a Necky Cruiser II. That's right: the cruiser rides atop the cruiser. It's probably 15 years old, and wasn't specifically designed for fishing. It's big -- almost 15' long, it's wider than almost anything sold today, and it's heavy. It had gone neglected in a family member's yard for years; I re-purposed it for ocean fishing and photography, and added a rod mount for trolling. It works great.

If I were shopping for a fishing kayak now, I'd look into finding a cheaper used one, and repurposing it for fishing (fishing kayaks are still relatively rare used, I think). Or, if shopping for a new boat, I'd look at Jackson kayaks. My travel partners paddle Jacksons and they make some really nice fishing boats. I'd also find one that's a little smaller and lighter than the one I have, just for ease of loading and unloading.
I just bought a Jackson fishing kayak this month. Been doing some mods on it. It’s a CoosaFD. Because it weighs 109 pounds and I need to carry it on the roof of my Tundra, my next project is making a loading contraption that will assist me getting it loaded by myself. Looking forward to some higher temperatures so I can get it out on the waters locally.

@TWILLY what size L x W of high density foam did you find works well?

It's an Ikea "MINNESUND" mattress. Size "full." It's designed for a slatted base. The cover is removable and washable. I cut the foam to width, folding the excess cover in equal parts under each side. Length-wise it's a few inches short, but not noticeable.

Fitted with two sheets, the shell closes onto it, and may even compress it a bit -- so, I would say that 3 7/8" is the maximum mattress thickness compatible with a Campteq.

MINNESUND Foam mattress - Twin - IKEA

minnesund-foam-mattress-white__0421860_PE578076_S4.JPG

Last edited:
It's an Ikea "MINNESUND" mattress. Size "full." It's designed for a slatted base. The cover is removable and washable. I cut the foam it to width, folding the excess cover in equal parts under each side. Length-wise it's a few inches short, but not noticeable.

Fitted with two sheets, the shell closes onto it, and may even compress it a bit -- so, I would say that 3 7/8" is the maximum mattress thickness compatible with a Campteq.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

It's an Ikea "MINNESUND" mattress. Size "full." It's designed for a slatted base. The cover is removable and washable. I cut the foam to width, folding the excess cover in equal parts under each side. Length-wise it's a few inches short, but not noticeable.

Sleeping system update:

I've been using a Thermarest Vela Double down quilt with the Minnesund Mattress. It's warm down to about 40 F, perhaps a bit lower; it hugs the mattress with a foot-box sleeve, and thus stays in place. I can close the Campteq onto it, leaving it in place between stops.

Very functional and convenient. In colder conditions I throw a second down bag, unzipped, atop like a blanket.

IMG_3246.jpg

VERY nice , I use exactly the same system for bedding .
plus in the really cold , rainy nights , I switch on hot air webasto , and you are Ok .
haven't tested the limit , but I think we can estimate -10 C.
I do also have a rain coat on the exterior ,that helps a lot with insulation and condensation .

bye Renago

thanks!! do you have a ball park price on it?

Not cheap. Upper 6 thousands depending on how you spec it--original design, hand made stuff, quality materials, customizable. But in my opinion worth every penny. I sleep in ours probably 60-70 days per year.

Not cheap. Upper 6 thousands depending on how you spec it--original design, hand made stuff, quality materials, customizable. But in my opinion worth every penny. I sleep in ours probably 60-70 days per year.

Not as bad as I thought. I just checked it out. I think I am going to start saving up for one. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom