1991 3fe rod knock, valve tap, rod connector? How screwed am I? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 land cruiser with 193k miles..

Just bought this thing knowing there were a bunch of issues. After a new exhaust it became very noticeable.

that sounds pretty bad. Like, I wouldn't run that engine any longer. Drain the oil and see how it looks, and then you are most likely pulling that engine
Did it have oil pressure before?

That is what I thought. It does have oil pressure. It jumps to the first line fairly quickly and stays there despite rpm.

I had to pick it up from the muffler shop and drive home. Knovk is very steady with the rpm and does not vary with acceleration.

I think I am going to do the spark plug pull test to narrow it down.

My 91 sounded just like that when the power steering pump failed. I could have sworn it was an engine noise but it was just the pump.

Power steering pump....how interesting. I would have pulled the motor before checking the PS pump. I am definitely going to check that.

My belts were very loose for some reason from the PO. He seemed to have a negative 🍌 skill set so maybe he loosened the belt to stop the knock 😂.

When I stopped at a light the knock softened then stopped for a few seconds. When I started driving again it came back.

I suspect there are so few with rod knock on this LC forum that there will be little comparison experience.

I think the knock is coming from the lower driver's side. Now that the exhaust is not 110db I can try to get in there with a stethoscope.

I am going to loose sleep thinking about what this could be.

The knock does get lighter when coasting down. Very slightly.

Just saying, that's exactly what my 3FE sounded like before it folded a rod in half

And it's also what it sounded like when I spun a rod bearing on the 3FE that replaced that one later

@cruisermatt. That is what I am getting more convinced the issue is. Just watched a numer of videos of various engines with a similar sounding knock.

What are the chances I could roll in some new bearings and they would last?

Probably a long shot but any chance it is valve train? When I first started up my 3fe after the headgasket change I had some loose valves that really made a pretty good racket. Maybe not that bad but something to check before you go pulling the engine.

Probably a long shot but any chance it is valve train? When I first started up my 3fe after the headgasket change I had some loose valves that really made a pretty good racket. Maybe not that bad but something to check before you go pulling the engine.
I wish I have a video of a 3f/2f with valve knock to compare. Any way to test if it is the valves without pulling the valve cover (not that it takes too long).

How about a video with the hood open, move around the front side to side, up and down in the engine compartment?

Do your spark plug test first to isolate. Typically #1 or #6 first.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll grab more videos tonight when I get home and pull plug wires one my one to see if that makes a difference. I will also use a stethoscope to see if I can isolate.

Loosen all of your belts and run the engine for a few seconds to see if your noise is gone. If its not you have just ruled out all of the accessories and harmonic balancer and know its in the engine itself.

@Seth S. Thank you Seth. I would not have thought of that. Damn I love this forum!

Well the verdict is a spun bearing. The bearings actually stacked on each other. Pretty freaking bad!!

It looks like someone ran the motor dry of oil. There is a layer of somewhat burnt looking oil on most surfaces.

What do you thing? Does this this look normal or not. I have only been in a motor that is much newer.

20210206_094715.jpg

Well the verdict is a spun bearing. The bearings actually stacked on each other. Pretty freaking bad!!

It looks like someone ran the motor dry of oil. There is a layer of somewhat burnt looking oil on most surfaces.

What do you thing? Does this this look normal or not. I have only been in a motor that is much newer.

View attachment 2577340

20210206_092711.jpg

20210206_092505.jpg

20210206_092150.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom