Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since tightening the oil cooler there hasn’t been any leaks.

Traced another gasket in fel-pro gasket to be a backup or sent to be scanned. Would suck to mess up a gasket before I install it 😂
4139CB8D-6D0F-4C5A-90C3-6980CA90B761.jpeg

Also picked up this tool to adjust the hinges since I replaced the front drivers. Worked perfect and cheaper than the tools from
Snap on etc…

JTC-4093
879A0101-E028-410D-AB1F-4D0BFBAF2D31.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3MNYZ...&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B06Y3MNYZ1

And of course took a test drive and check for leaks. So what does one do on beautiful day for a test drive?
(Warning all aussie’s…yanks ahead)

Oy mate, Take your middy and go walkabout…

Through the bush I went, dodgin’ skippys and decided to find a Sanger.

Bloody hell what’s that?

4A7E3FBE-EB00-4D32-B78C-2BFD4842EEE4.jpeg

Too right! The waltzing kangaroo!
54BE0E7E-BF02-4075-94D9-3F7DEF2627D1.jpeg

https://waltzingkangaroo.com/

Ima stop in and grab dogs eye (meat pie for you yanks) or a rats coffin (sausage roll)

Not me walking into the waltzing kangaroo
02D7E726-FE5D-438F-B40E-5AC9C3EFA3F9.gif

What to get…settled on lamb&rosemary meat pie and steak/bacon & cheese.

11321023-BF78-43E5-88EA-A75EAF35C047.jpeg

Bonza mate!

Im A Bloke - YouTube

This is a 4 minute documentary on how to be Australian.... (kinda like a softcore redneck)

Love your "Middy" by the way. Sometimes referred to as a "Big Bundy" here as well.
I have never felt the need to start a band before, but I look forward the first performance from Softcore Redneck. We will only cover Midnight Oil, Kylie Minogue, Frenzel Rhomb and Living End songs.

After finishing up the next round of work on the Prado might need to do a test drive up to Waltzing Kangaroo as a shake down ride and see what that place is all about.

After finishing up the next round of work on the Prado might need to do a test drive up to Waltzing Kangaroo as a shake down ride and see what that place is all about.

Absolutely! I’m only about 25minutes away from there.
Definitely a couple of other things I’d like to try out there.

Also, in Berthoud we like to stop at the Aussie Poke Pit Stop as well. Both places are aussie owners so it shouldn’t be too yank.

Aussie Poke Pit Stop
441 mountain Ave, berthoud co

Mainly poke bowls
1. The Mick Fanning

But they do also have meat pies and sausage rolls.

Pie - The Very Australian

And of course you can pickup some Tim tam

Tim Tam

Now if I can just find some of these fine beers on this list…
1711735699544.jpeg

Last edited:
Absolutely! I’m only about 25minutes away from there.
Definitely a couple of other things I’d like to try out there.

Also, in Berthoud we like to stop at the Aussie Poke Pit Stop as well. Both places are aussie owners so it shouldn’t be too yank.

Aussie Poke Pit Stop
441 mountain Ave, berthoud co

Mainly poke bowls
1. The Mick Fanning

But they do also have meat pies and sausage rolls.

Pie - The Very Australian

And of course you can pickup some Tim tam

Tim Tam

Now if I can just find some of these fine beers on this list…
View attachment 3594108
Tim Tam's are SO GOOD!

Always something.

So I left my ARB compressor on inadvertently the other day. I always just turn on the lockers every few weeks. Well it won’t turn on now. I get the click from the relay, but no compressor kick on. If I put 12v to the compressor directly it turns on. I can pressure it up, then with the switch on, lockers work fine.

Is the relay bad?

2nd issue. I started having a bit of grabby brakes. I couldn’t tell which one til the other day it felt like the rear. It happens when you come slow to a stop, it pulls you stopped. Then let’s go.

So I jacked up the passenger rear wheel. It was a little tight but spins. Then I rotated backwards and then it gets really tight, like you can’t turn it. It makes me think something has broken like a spring or something.

Anyone has similar issues?

I just need to take it all apart and see.

95AFBF76-E3A3-4621-BDB8-F15E44808CF9.jpeg

So I suppose another excuse to post a picture :flipoff2:

When I was checking wheels for brake drag, the front was a little loose. As in wheel bearing loose.

I went ahead in my lunch hour and popped the hub off, tightened it up a little and no more bad movement. Spins good.

A8C8493B-FDEE-49CE-A157-4E422B62792A.jpeg

Bogan tip: these bolts at the hardware store with a handle on them work great to hold the axle out while putting the C-clip on.

BC3B7858-E6AE-41C3-8BE5-CCF4E7B011E4.jpeg

If you want to buy the official Toyota SST, it’s NLA, but @FJ73Texas made a great version of it a little while back….talk him into another run of axle holders…

1712175602137.jpeg

And the other side…

1DE2B4FE-116A-4BC6-A07D-506F769215DC.jpeg

So I left my ARB compressor on inadvertently the other day. I always just turn on the lockers every few weeks. Well it won’t turn on now. I get the click from the relay, but no compressor kick on. If I put 12v to the compressor directly it turns on. I can pressure it up, then with the switch on, lockers work fine.

Is the relay bad?

If you hear it click then I would first check the main power line going to the relay. Typically there is a fuse near the battery source before the relay on this line.

Recall that your switch is sending a lower amp 12V power to the relay switch side that makes it fire, and close the other side that allows power to pass through the relay to the compressor. That side must work if you hear the click...

Honestly, not sure it was because you left it on, as you would have a dead battery.. could just be a fuse or a broken connection.

If you hear it click then I would first check the main power line going to the relay. Typically there is a fuse near the battery source before the relay on this line.

Recall that your switch is sending a lower amp 12V power to the relay switch side that makes it fire, and close the other side that allows power to pass through the relay to the compressor. That side must work if you hear the click...

Honestly, not sure it was because you left it on, as you would have a dead battery.. could just be a fuse or a broken connection.

Thanks 🙏

I did have a dead battery from it. I’ve checked all the fuses I could find, but it’s possible there is a fuse I’m not seeing. Great idea on tracing the main power line back, you are right it’s Probabaly a fuse on that line I haven’t found.

Possibly blew when I jumped started it.

‘Twas time to look at that rear brake and see what was happening.

I expected broken springs or something out of wack. I found some leakage. Looks like it’s time to rebuild that rear axle.
21D9473E-4F68-41A3-82AB-0FA48CC38629.jpeg

I think that explains the sticking.

BA670ABC-012A-4356-9543-1EEFB1E79158.jpeg

Cleaned them up easily.

762758D8-80CE-46AE-AD72-FA9452600DF5.jpeg

9B47A56D-8603-4C09-BADE-4E5FB7973634.jpeg

Haven’t gotten a chance to test drive yet. Tomorrow.

I also tightened up the wheel bearing to n the other front wheel as it was a little loose as well.

331BE269-9D27-4DBD-B9C2-094CB7034229.jpeg

So curiosity (why is is curious, curiously have the U, but curiosity doesn’t…) got the best of me.

Do 17x7.5” rims fit without spacers.

Yes*

*(legally obligated by my lawyer team. May not work in your in your instance. If they don’t fit, you must remove it…why? Chewbacca is a wookie from Kashyyk. He lives on Endor. Why does an 8’ tall wookie want to live with 3’ tall Ewoks on Endor. That doesn’t not make sense. )

So I took the spacers off and it fits. Spins fine no interference on tie rod or brakes. You will have to make your steering stops come out more which will lose a little turning radius, but not a lot.
7621CCFE-2FB2-4CB4-B41B-544CED114674.jpeg
266427D0-32A1-42BF-9F6C-01BF8356A37F.jpeg

Right at the edge of the fender.

353D368F-74C4-4F9D-A7AA-EC6EACD9A245.jpeg

However, the back is super close to the leaf spring…too close as my rear overload is splayed out and slightly rubs.

2224BEF2-E6EF-491A-B5A7-7376C9F4734B.jpeg

09BEC16B-9975-462C-8A04-B68C9E330B88.jpeg

So in reality I think the rear needs 3mm-6mm spacing to be 100% safe from rub. Especially if I fix where that spring is pushed over.

They make hub centric spacers that don’t bolt on in 3mm size. That should still leave plenty of threads for the lug nut to bite onto.

F4A622AB-6686-4D29-89A0-A632C4426696.jpeg

Are these spacers just as frowned upon as bolt on. I really would like to get rid of the spacers, but correct rim costs would be much too high at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom