Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my bets on the pushrod cover....
i have been advised in the past to use fipg for that pushrod cover and only finger tighten it until the fipg sets then gently tighten it further after that

my bets on the pushrod cover....
i have been advised in the past to use fipg for that pushrod cover and only finger tighten it until the fipg sets then gently tighten it further after that
That’s what I used when I first put it on. It’s interesting that it’s only leaking on the top side.

We had a nice day yesterday so I decided to take to out. I hadn’t driven it in a couple of weeks so took it to drop my son off at basketball practice. So much fun to drive it.

She was a little dusty so off to the car wash. Clean the engine where the leaks are to see how bad they are.

I couldn’t reach some of the engine so that’s why the oil sitting up top. No extra leaking on the way home.

16C0B400-7319-4E8B-8569-3A5A206CD92A.jpeg

Nothing here so I’m thinking it is just that pushrod cover. Still a pain but much less a pain than dealing with the cooling system.

45B6EDDC-8D00-4DB4-BABD-6CB93F1479D1.jpeg

I had to get used to people honking and thumbs up again.

Getting Honked at going into a turn lane and I’m like alright a-hole I’m getting over! He pulls up rolls down window mouths hell yeah with the thumbs up….

I return favor with a nod and give the 🤙. As I pull away I give her a little extra juice so that my open exhaust will bellow that tell tale forced induction symphonic “swoooosh” between the 3 shifts I take getting 48 feet away …hell
Yes fellow connoisseur of the 70 series…hell yes indeed.

It’s supposed to be 60 today and the rest of the week is 50s to low 60s. Really makes me want to put the softtop on.

F7E99281-2F85-47E4-8255-C2B02B68CB29.jpeg

I think some of my leak has been partly due to my stupidity 😂

Ever since I switched to the Holset turbo, I’ve vented the PCV to atmosphere at the bottom of the frame on drivers (rhd) side…it doesn’t drip when sitting however I have seen some mist/drip on the frame by the leaf spring.

However when driving I seemed to forget that wind/pressure would blow that mist/drips all over in that area. I’ve since moved it to a hole in frame. Rustproofing right?

I did have 1 drip come down after washing and driving, but after cleaning some of it it didn’t leak anymore to trace it. I don’t think oil would be coming from that bolt on the cooler.

586A66E2-115F-4ED8-89FD-098457B1D626.jpeg

Anyways that definitely contributed to some of that oil back there, but I still have a little from the pushrod cover.

I also found out this about my timing cover gasket on the 13bt from Dave steadman at japan4x4.

11328-56041 Delisted

They are no longer making this item and there is none in stock.

So that pretty much sucks. I have 2 options at the moment.
Make a gasket from a paper sheet. Probabaly will work fine, not much fun for arts and crafts. Cheap though and should work fine provided I make it decent.

I found this in Australia and have reached out.

ZZZ 13113.011 FRONT ENGINE COVER TIMING COVER GASKET FOR TOYOTA V10 B 1978- 11328-56040 1132856040 DAIHATSU TOYOTA DELTA DYNA Gasket, Timing Gear Or Chain Cover 11328-56041

EBB3FD5F-3EDA-485C-ABC5-E3FDE0FF54B9.jpeg

Now it certainly looks right, priced right at $9.60 AUD but the shipping at $43.00 sucks. I’ll see if they actually have it and I’ll order 2.

So ready for spring.

4824360F-1593-4B2A-A570-1FC558C4E5C9.jpeg

whats wrong with fipg

whats wrong with fipg

A couple of small issues I suppose. I did use that when I first put it together.

The biggest issue is you have to slowly boil/heat that cover in water and expand the part that goes onto the automatic timer.

DEB49E68-524B-42D3-9FE3-202C57F3F892.jpeg

Getting fipg put on right, then adding the cover plate on int a timely matter lining it all up with the crank and automatic timer before it cools down was an annoying with it on an engine stand. I imagine it’s much worse to deal with in the engine bay.

A gasket takes out the worry of nicking or smearing rtv.
Also I’m not a great cake decorator so Probabaly the reason it’s leaking now.

Now it certainly looks right, priced right at $9.60 AUD but the shipping at $43.00 sucks. I’ll see if they actually have it and I’ll order 2.
Get 3 and I’ll help with shipping cost.
I’ll scan the gasket then try to import it into Autocad.
Our school’s laser could do the fancy cutting.

Get 3 and I’ll help with shipping cost.
I’ll scan the gasket then try to import it into Autocad.
Our school’s laser could do the fancy cutting.
Man I wish I saw this last night! I went ahead and ordered since they said they had it in stock. When I tried to put 2 in the cart shipping jumped up another $30 so I just ordered 1.

I wonder if anyone around here can scan it? I’ll check around and see.

Man I wish I saw this last night! I went ahead and ordered since they said they had it in stock. When I tried to put 2 in the cart shipping jumped up another $30 so I just ordered 1.

I wonder if anyone around here can scan it? I’ll check around and see.
@Cruisers and Co can scan it!

We can meet there...you can see my rig and show off the 74!

I'm inviting everyone over there these days, sorry Johnny!

@Cruisers and Co can scan it!

We can meet there...you can see my rig and show off the 74!

I'm inviting everyone over there these days, sorry Johnny!
Sounds like a plan! Thanks for that option and of course voluntolding @Cruisers and Co !

A gasket should be easy enough as long as we can get it perfectly flat I shouldn't have an issue and then we can look at some manufacturing options

Thanks! I’m hoping it shows up flat! I’m really not sure how big of a market it is, I just know it fits a lot of rigs according to the part number and through Toyota and other sources it’s No longer available.

This place in Australia shows it fits a ton of Dyna models plus anything with the 13bt. It appears there are different versions with the 3B as well so I’m surprised there aren’t more of these needed…

I can definitely let you know when it shows up from down undah…

If it doesn't show up flat can you bring the cover over? I can definitely scan that and it may work out better. Keep us posted and we can get together at the shop with @shellb

For sure! It’s a pain in the butt to replace this gasket so I really hope it shows up flat. Otherwise it’s digging in deep.

Much more fun to drive the cruiser down and listen to turbo noises the whole way 🍺

I use our laser to cut gaskets when I can’t buy them.
I draw them in AutoCAD first.
Never tried to import a scan yet.

Fail.

2F7682F5-DBF6-4EBB-98B4-C9323F17570C.jpeg

It’s antifreeze. It’s coming from the cooler so quite the joyous task coming up.

So at this point I need to tackle these at the same time:
Pushrod cover
Front timing cover
Oil cooler gasket

Which means pull a whole lot of crap off the engine :( It sucks becuase it’s like $25.00 in gaskets but nearing a kegs worth of beer. 😂

The worst part…my shop. It’s angled so I can really only pull forward. I would have to pull the top and rear doors to back in…:rolleyes:

Have I whined enough? 😂

Wait til the parts get in and setup a plan. I have a feeling this is how 1hd-FTE swaps begin….

Haha…no

Fail.

View attachment 3569426

It’s antifreeze. It’s coming from the cooler so quite the joyous task coming up.

Pushrod cover
Front timing cover
Oil cooler gasket

Which means pull a whole lot of crap off the engine :( It sucks becuase it’s like $25.00 in gaskets but nearing a kegs worth of beer. 😂

The worst part…my shop. It’s angled so I can really only pull forward. I would have to pull the top and rear doors to back in…:rolleyes:

Have I whined enough? 😂

Wait til the parts get in and setup a plan. I have a feeling this is how 1hd-FTE swaps begin….

Haha…no

I have a feeling this is how 1hd-FTE swaps begin….
Nah, keep it tractor... 15BFT

Typical cruiser owner thought process…I need to replace 2 gaskets, I wonder if I should just swap the engine while I’m in there?
As much as we love to crow about how robust and reliable these old things are that thought of an upgrade or swap is always at the back of our minds!

That is the backup backup plan that hopefully never happens.

Typical cruiser owner thought process…I need to replace 2 gaskets, I wonder if I should just swap the engine while I’m in there?
in that event we'll all just need to co-ordinate a simultaneous 3b(x) -> 15b(x) group swap thread, so we can all get through the little bs details and tuning.....
would be epic

Fail.

View attachment 3569426

Pushrod cover
Front timing cover
Oil cooler gasket

Have I whined enough? 😂

Wait til the parts get in and setup a plan. I have a feeling this is how 1hd-FTE swaps
Just start a go fund me page.... then DO IT!! 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom