Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pandemic caused my rad shop owners to retire.
The 70 year old brother now runs a hydraulic hose business.
He swears he saved enough of the radiator repair tools to keep my rad leak free.

Still waiting, hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow. :frown:

So fan clutch. I never really hear mine roar, and I've never seen the temp go up save for the one time my alt bracket broke and my belt wasn't turning the fan. The fan has resistance to it, you can only spin a blade or two at most, however I'm not sure it's locking up.

I can go grab some 10,000cst fluid and redo the fan clutch oil since it's pretty easy to do. Seems like the time to do it.

any thoughts?

Just got the call, radiator is done, just getting painted so I will go pick it up tomorrow. He said that other core was over 1/2 plugged as well. Interesting as I just had it repaired 2 years ago trying to figure out what would have caused it to be plugged up. Maybe that other shop didn't really do anything other than patch a leaky spot?

That is odd since it should have been hot-tanked or seriously checked out for the earlier repair.

I followed Onur's lead and installed a larger fan clutch and fan.
My engine temp never seems to rise either, but I put that down to the sensor and gauge.
Since the upgrade it seems like I get better aircon sitting in traffic.

Got some. Of course they didn't have 10K, so I'll mix some magic sauce up I suppose and aim for 10k.
1367DD74-6A8D-4828-8D24-DC6FA9BAB887.jpeg

That is odd since it should have been hot-tanked or seriously checked out for the earlier repair.

I followed Onur's lead and installed a larger fan clutch and fan.
My engine temp never seems to rise either, but I put that down to the sensor and gauge.
Since the upgrade it seems like I get better aircon sitting in traffic.

Thats what I though as well. I would have assumed they would have found something, and they only thing I could think of was maybe something gave way in the heater core??

Air conditioning is on the list to repair as well. Pretty sure it needs a new compressor, then of course refill/o-rings and leaks.

When I put in a new water pump I back flushed the heater core the best I could.
What came out looked like iced tea at first.

When I put in a new water pump I back flushed the heater core the best I could.
What came out looked like iced tea at first.

yeah I did that as well until it ran clear so I’m a little unsure of what happened unless it was just clogged and the first shop never hot tanked it.

Moving forward. I will say this radiator is a beast. It is quite a bit heavier than the other one. It waTars a bit of a pain getting it back in. My wife and son helped which definitely helped. Excited to put fluid back in this...even though I hate the 13BT coolant filling process.

5948ce1c-aaa1-423f-b5ce-70beef61ce0e-jpeg.2647324

even though I hate the 13BT coolant filling process.
having to fill it through the thermostat is such a pain haha. All I was wondering while I flushed mine was just why?? Does anyone know a benefit or reason for having the radiator cap in the thermostat?

having to fill it through the thermostat is such a pain haha. All I was wondering while I flushed mine was just why?? Does anyone know a benefit or reason for having the radiator cap in the thermostat?
Yeah not sure the thought process on that but they definitely went away from it. I pull the upset radiator hose from the thermostat housing and fill it that way. Much faster but I still need to burp it. Got an air bubble for sure.

Yeah I don’t know if one of those will work with the cap above the thermostat.
The kit I bought has a plethora of caps/adapters... a whole range of sizes.

My guess is the rad cap was placed there as its the high spot in the system. The sloped hood would make it even harder to burp if the cap was on the rad.

I have a kit similar to that and it works well. Works really well if you have the patience to get it up to operating temp so the thermostat opens. The reservoir will allow the air to burp out and add coolant so its full. The one I am familiar with has a plunger. After your are finished you can push down the plunger so the remaining coolant in the reservoir wont spill out when you remove it.

This style kit: https://www.princessauto.com/en/11-pc-spill-free-funnel-kit/product/PA0008572315

Cheers
gb

Last edited:
May be a frost here in VA tonight.

Not much happening, just daily driving. The temp seems fine and stable although the gauge reads slightly higher :meh: No leaks, no issues so far.

The one interesting thing I can report is that my EGT's are lower. Now to fully disclose, I just replaced my EGT probe (same company) because the last one was faulty. I never got to try this new EGT probe with the old radiator so who knows if it's an anomaly or not. That said, coolant temp and EGT's do coincide so it's entirely possible, but also potentially just a different reading probe, which is a little unnerving.

The cruising speeds of 60~65mph still yield 650~800F depending on wind/hill etc, but flogging down doesn't seem like I can't get over 1000F now. Not complaining, just curious as before I could go over 1200 somewhat easy. I also can't seem to boost more than 12 with the current snorkel/filter. Unhooking the filter I can go much higher so I know the snorkel setup is restricting.

So I could intercool it, but unless I'm going over 10psi it doesn't really help. Options to fix boosting more is, new upgraded turbo or modifying air intake to allow more air in via vacuum actuated door or just manual door when I'm in a non-dusty environment.

Either way, trying to make sure temps are in check and correct, she is driving pretty good.

db08d62f-cabc-4d85-9568-4e01987c3bc0-jpeg.2659429

Summer is approaching soon, and that means top off and more mods.

Possible mods and upgrades:

Rear brakes and rear axle refresh
New A/C compressor
Power wash/spring clean/clay bar/ wax
Exhaust upgrade to 2.5"
Repair slider windows and gaskets
EGT alarm from Auber
Intercooler
new turbo
Airbox mods
tail-gate/ 1/2 rear doors
removable front doors
shackles/new spring bushings
LED bulbs for indicators/interior/etc
Working on spare roof for pop-top
Finish rear bumper, hi-lift mount, backup lights
Finding correct trailer hitch in metric sizes
roof rack for either hard or bikini top
rear drawer system

some of these are just wants at some point, some will be done and some are just placeholders for ideas because I can't remember crap anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom