Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was time. Not near as much rain this year yet so I decided to pull the top again.

IMG_7849.jpg

Going to order a bikini/bimini top today to help keep some of the heat/sun out.

I used a top for a 1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler. Reason $83 shipped for everything. If it doesn’t work, I’m not out much.

I used the smittybilt extended top and CJ/YJ header bar.

Smittybilt Extended Top For 92-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Header bar/windshield channel
Smittybilt 90101 Windshield Channel for 76-95 CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ

. I grabbed some screws for the top as well.

So I have an FRP fiberglass windshield, so no worries about rust. The Jeep windshields are completely flat and the 70 series slightly curved. I put a few relief cuts and bent it slightly back to better match the windshield curve. One I slipped on the saw and took a bigger chunk.

9A547BD0-EBFC-48B0-A917-555EF9BE082B.jpeg

On the back there is already a threaded hole to attach the back straps. On the Jeep you just hook this under a ledge.

AB20DA67-D197-427A-9384-B762F7991BD4.jpeg

Velcro straps go around the bars from windshield to main roll hoop.

18F72500-344A-49CF-9C46-58F9BE37F950.jpeg

Same Velcro and pull strap on the back oem rollbar.
6834D288-420F-41C4-AA9A-7CC220E7E35A.jpeg

Nice! That's a good idea. I will likely copy you on the top if I ever get my truck on the road.

I like the farm truck plates. I had those on an old truck I had to drive when I was starting when I was 16 (My father was a farmer) but one day I got in trouble (or my dad did) for driving a "farm truck" to college when I turned 18 during a traffic stop by DPS.

My dad made me keep a bale of hay in the back going forward and told me to say I am picking up hay if I get pulled over again by DPS but I never did.

Nice! That's a good idea. I will likely copy you on the top if I ever get my truck on the road.

Yeah, overall it's not a bad fit, but it definitely could be better. About 5~6" longer would cover the rear bar nicely. However since mine is Aussie it has seatbelt LATCH points on the top which might mess up a longer top. THose I think will help in another project I'm working on. The Jeep LJ 2004-2006 would probably be a better fit, but I could never find out how the front attached with the same lip or not. It seemed to be different. Either way it was cheap.

I like the farm truck plates. I had those on an old truck I had to drive when I was starting when I was 16 (My father was a farmer) but one day I got in trouble (or my dad did) for driving a "farm truck" to college when I turned 18 during a traffic stop by DPS.

My dad made me keep a bale of hay in the back going forward and told me to say I am picking up hay if I get pulled over again by DPS but I never did.
HA! Yeah if you live outside of town, you can get farm plates. No idea what it gets you, but makes me feel more like a tractor.

HA! Yeah if you live outside of town, you can get farm plates. No idea what it gets you, but makes me feel more like a tractor.

Texas DPS is a bit (or was) weird about use of farm plates on the highway, that and red diesel. My dad was a rebel though.

Texas DPS is a bit (or was) weird about use of farm plates on the highway, that and red diesel. My dad was a rebel though.

Curiosity got to me...so if you are really bored.

Covered farm vehicles and drivers are exempt from federal regulations regarding:
  • Controlled Substances and Alcohol Use and Testing (49 CFR Part 382)
  • Commercial Drivers License Standards; Requirements and Penalties (49 CFR Part 383)
  • Physical Qualifications and Examinations (49 CFR Part 391, Subpart E)
  • Hours of Service regulations (49 CFR Part 395)
  • Inspection, Repair and Maintenance regulations (49 CFR Part 396)
Covered farm vehicles and drivers must comply with federal regulations and state laws regarding:
  • Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations; General (49 CFR Part 390)
  • Driving of Commercial Motor Vehicles (49 CFR Part 392)
  • Parts and Accessories Necessary for Safe Operation (49 CFR Part 393)
  • All state motor vehicle size and weight, safety and operation laws.
A covered farm vehicle is a commercial motor vehicle that:
  1. Is operated by a farm or ranch owner or operator, or an employee or family member of the farm or ranch owner or operator;
  2. Is being used to transport to or from a farm or ranch:
    1. Agricultural commodities
    2. Livestock
    3. Machinery or supplies;
  3. Displays a special license plate or other designation which helps enforcement personnel identify it as a covered farm vehicle; and
  4. Has a gross vehicle weight of:
    1. 26,001 pounds or less and is traveling anywhere in the United States; or
    2. is greater than 26,001 pounds and traveling anywhere within the State in which it is registered; or
    3. when crossing state lines, is greater than 26,001 pounds and operated within 150 air miles of the farm or ranch.
A covered farm vehicle does not include a vehicle that is operated by a for-hire carrier or a vehicle transporting hazardous materials in a quantity that requires the vehicle to display placards.

Here is the attachment point on the rear. After the drilling the hole in this bracket, the rubber gets a little loose to tighten down.

View attachment 2347970
Looks like a good top for a middy. I like the velcro on the sides. Did you consider using the captive nuts on top of the windshield?

Looks like a good top for a middy. I like the velcro on the sides. Did you consider using the captive nuts on top of the windshield?

I think it's a pretty good option. THere are other brands, but this was the one I found that had the straps on the back to cinch it down which seemed like the best way with how the middy tops/roll bars are. They also make just "mesh" style that shade but no waterproof that would probably work as well if you just wanted shade. I hear people use these under softtops or bikini tops as well.

MasterTop-Shademaker-Freedom-Mesh-Bikini-Top-Plus-JLU-Black.jpg

Which captive nuts? I have a fiberglass windshield frame and didnt see any captive nuts.

I think it's a pretty good option. THere are other brands, but this was the one I found that had the straps on the back to cinch it down which seemed like the best way with how the middy tops/roll bars are. They also make just "mesh" style that shade but no waterproof that would probably work as well if you just wanted shade. I hear people use these under softtops or bikini tops as well.

MasterTop-Shademaker-Freedom-Mesh-Bikini-Top-Plus-JLU-Black.jpg

Which captive nuts? I have a fiberglass windshield frame and didnt see any captive nuts.
Sorry - I did read you had a FRP windshield frame. Likely does not have the captive nuts. My mistake.

Not much too report, much business in life at them moment.

Musings:
That deck connector in the back. I know those are waterproof, marine/boat deck power connectors. Always seemed a little strange to me why that was put in there. I tried to search and found out people, RV'ers and caravaner's use these to get 12v in the back because it doesn't fall out like a 12v cigarette lighter type connection does. Well there ya go, mystery solved.

Well, you can get this on amazon, Hella connector for $20ish..

Amazon product ASIN B000VU384O
images

So sounds like they just wanted secure power, possibly waterproof in the back. Maybe for a fridge or something like that? Interestingly there is another powerline that runs to the rear bumper as well that is hot and on this same circuit. It comes out right where the trailer hitch is on the bumper. So 12volt outside to the bumper? Interesting.

Someone put some cool things on this build, wish I could track down who did all the mods.

Last edited:
Not much too report, much business in life at them moment.

Musings:
That deck connector in the back. I know those are waterproof, marine/boat deck power connectors. Always seemed a little strange to me why that was put in there. I tried to search and found out people, RV'ers and caravaner's use these to get 12v in the back because it doesn't fall out like a 12v cigarette lighter type connection does. Well there ya go, mystery solved.

Well, you can get this on amazon, Hella connector for $20ish..

Amazon product ASIN B000VU384O
images

So sounds like they just wanted secure power, possibly waterproof in the back. Maybe for a fridge or something like that? Interestingly there is another powerline that runs to the rear bumper as well that is hot and on this same circuit. It comes out right where the trailer hitch is on the bumper. So 12volt outside to the bumper? Interesting.

Someone put some cool things on this build, wish I could track down who did all the mods.
You think it's the same fellow that blew the engine?

You think it's the same fellow that blew the engine?

no, my friend that imported it blew the engine. He Was on the freeway like a month after he imported it, hose blew and the rest is history.

these mods have been on this cruiser for a long time. That ARB bumper was a factory option in Australia, same with snorkel. Those arb lockers and compressor are also 20 years old or more. Lift is older, dual 12v redarc kit overhead console are older as well. Someone built this up, took care of it and put some miles...er kilometers on it all over Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom