Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You gotta love that tag. :)View attachment 2360224

need one of these.

1593833423216.jpeg

One of the first Land Cruisers I owned was a 1978 HJ45 Ute from Australia. When I went to our local tag office and handed the young girl my paperwork she started pecking away at her computer. She mentioned that the VIN wasn’t showing up in her system and she wasn’t sure if she could issue a tag. She then looked out of the front window and said ”is it that Jeep thing” sitting out there and I said yes. She then said it “looks like farm equipment” which I found somewhat puzzling. She then continued by saying “if it’s farm equipment I can issue a tag” and I assured her it was “farm equipment”. (I may have left out the part where the truck was never going to be on a farm) :)
For years I drove my “Jeep thing / farm equipment” and enjoyed every minute.

Went to the lake, putted around on the sand. In the really powdery stuff, 4hi, first gear just chugged right along watching all the trucks trying to Dakar rally to get through.

Sand steals some serious power for those of you who haven't been in it. 4 low would be best, but I was curious how it would do. I had to stop once in the powder because some dude in an AWD crossover decided to blast out of his campsite right in front of me to try and not get stuck. Bogged a little at first, more fuel and off we went.
The Yokohama's work great, only in one spot of deepish sand did they start to slip a little. Really like these tires. And this was at full 35psi all the way around. This BJ74 just mountain goats around.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8105.jpg

New Chapters...

A nice drive home down the road to our house. our place the group of trees up ahead on the right.

It's almost been 3 years since we left Colorado and it's time to go back. We've loved our place out here and will really miss our farm, but miss Colorado and our friends too much. Our whole lives have been in Colorado and in the mountains, so it will be good to get back. I'd prefer to be a little more in the mountains, but I'll take 30~45 mins away. I'll be back there in less than a month and really hope we find a place with land and a good shop!!!

I can't wait to get back to my mountains and close off-road trips. The next few months will be busy...

Anyone need 10acres, with near off grid capabilites, barn, shop, outbuilding and a fantatstically renovated house in 2015 all place in the middle of nowhere? :rofl:

So time is moving fast!

Had to put the top on because I don't have much time before we head back to Colorado.

IMG_8281.jpg

Really want a softtop. Would really help with May/June and September/November. We usually get some beautiful days when it would be nice to pull the top.

I really need to move forward with the lexan window inserts as those would be nice to completely pull the windows for a safari type top. someday.

Decided to check mileage again just to see if I'm off from my odometer to GPS.

My quick test was the jaunt into work. 255/85r16's.

GPS- 18.81kms
Odometer - 18.9kms

Pretty right on.
So either the speedometer gear was changed, or the factory odometer was just that far off.

And obligatory Giant dog with head out window photo.
IMG_8337.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man... that's really close.

Of course even that slight percentage difference magnifies as you enter into hundreds or thousands of kms... but that's the OCD engineer in me nitpicking!

That John Denver is full of sh@t...
B9F6B3C3-C755-4D7F-B91C-02F2E14587FF.jpeg

Where are the mountains? Gotta love eastern Colorado. Gratuitous mountain shots coming soon.

a new chapter is starting in our lives and it’s a bit tough at the moment, but looking towards the future.

Last edited:
Went to the lake, putted around on the sand. In the really powdery stuff, 4hi, first gear just chugged right along watching all the trucks trying to Dakar rally to get through.

Sand steals some serious power for those of you who haven't been in it. 4 low would be best, but I was curious how it would do. I had to stop once in the powder because some dude in an AWD crossover decided to blast out of his campsite right in front of me to try and not get stuck. Bogged a little at first, more fuel and off we went.
The Yokohama's work great, only in one spot of deepish sand did they start to slip a little. Really like these tires. And this was at full 35psi all the way around. This BJ74 just mountain goats around.

View attachment 2363033View attachment 2363032

Love it! All we need is a Pig in the picture next to you!!!

New avatar alert^^^

Well next up on the list....full t-case rebuild. :confused:
I knew eventually I would need to. The leak from the front output just kept getting worse. Tore into to replace the seal and the bearing is junk. Lateral movement and knotchy.

so not sure how this is going tonwork in the middle of a move and down my other daily driver.

In frame rebuild T-case ok? Or am I going to go through the hassle of dropping tranny/tCAse?

I really don’t have time or my tools at the moment (moving) to take this on...if @orangefj45 we’re closer I’d just drop it off and throw in some 3:1 or 4:1 as well. I will Probabaly be contacting you soon George 🍺

@PabloCruise need a tCAse to rebuild at your house? Lol

Hijack:
I've got the same problem with my rear T-case output. Lateral movement, anyway.
Can you pull the tail housing and fix it under the truck?
Maybe fix temporarily with some shims to increase preload?

What route are you taking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom