Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It wasn't all bad. My dad had a couple of these and a Corvair. :)
image.jpeg

Ordered. I'll have them next week and send them to my gasket maker for a die to be made.

At that point I can assess a cost per side.

I make them from 1/8" EDPM so they are much thicker than stock and are heat and oil/chemical resistant as well.

J
You’ve not had any issues with the weight of them tearing/pulling off the snaps?

You’ve not had any issues with the weight of them tearing/pulling off the snaps?

No, we have sold a couple hundred 60 sets and other than guys not pushing the clips in correctly they do no come off.

If you are worried about that put a M4 bolt/screw on each end of the seal or on all holes for that matter.

J

1980 Chevy Van, moon-shaped window in back, wall to wall carpet and 5" blue fur from the ceiling that would roll like ocean waves when windows open named the silver bullet. I would like to say I'm joking, but I'm not. :rofl:

Sounds it could have been named The Shaggin Wagon...

Went and picked this up on saturday morning. Another beautiful day in the rockies. Picked this up from gr8fulabe on rising sun 4x4. He had it on an M101 trailer. Chatted cruisers for an hour, thanks man!

IMG_7518.jpg

It's a project, that I don't exactly know where I'm going with it. It is a cap that goes over the top of the original FRP. Now how to separate that, I don't know, but I'm going to find out eventually.

In other news, the BJ74 is getting some maintenance lined up. Pulled her into the shop where it will be for a couple weeks. I will be driving my tundra the next few weeks as my 2000 TDI jetta just blew a head gasket :mad:

Front axle job
Brake master cylinder
Front brakes/rotors
Gear oil
clutch/brake pedal adjustment

Still on the list for later, rear axle rebuild @PabloCruise might have to do this one at your place for a cruiser part as the front is going to need to be done much quicker.

Not much happening with the Cruiser getting some maintenance done so time to dig into the family archives...

A 3 yr old FJBen in my uncles CJ5. 1978, Wheatridge, CO. We used to drive up to the mountains with them.

IMG_7547.jpg

I'm guessing 78-79, not 100% sure in our old Willy's CJ2A I belive. Dune Digger tires, make-shift front flares, white vinyl, Beer tap shifter, shorty shorts apparently. I seem to remember this having a hood scoop for the carb they put in at some point, have to find more pictures.

IMG_7546.jpg

A trip to Ouray in the CJ7. I believe 82 or 83? I believe this is Imogene Pass.
Yes I'm keeping the Jeep from rolling down hill. My mom said it was just staging a funny photo, but thats also what she said about the bowl haircut photo... :confused: :rofl:

IMG_7548.jpg

Much later on, probably late 80s with my 4H pigs. This is the vehicle I learned to drive stick on. Half cab, 3 speed bronco, 302v8, mud tires.
The tank in the back was for water for the pigs.
IMG_7549.jpg

Did you tear into the knuckle rebuild?

Yep, in the thick of it.

It was time.

IMG_7680.jpg

Oh the cleaning.
IMG_7685.jpg

These trunion bearings on the LHD side were pretty bad.

IMG_7686.jpg

These were in rough shape, but not completely clapped out.
IMG_7694.jpg

New 555 tie rod ends should help set this front end good for awhile.

IMG_7696.jpg

Totally random info, I was looking for some grease on Napa's site and now they show they carry Maxi-Trac which is a Repco Branded product out of australia. Interesting. They have suspension kits and all sorts of things, I wonder if you can order it to the USA now? My shocks are Maxi-Trac brand. I need to replace eventually.

2020-06-01 13_57_25-NAPA Auto Parts - Buy Car & Truck Parts Online _ Auto Supply Stores Near Me.png

Are you going to see if they can get your shocks?

I will probably go Ironman Pro, Fox or Bilstein on the shocks, I just found it curious they are carrying that brand as it only seems to be in australia.

Make sue you have your Make, Model, Year, VIN number, SSN, Mothers Maiden Name, The question for which the answer is 42, and then maybe they can sell you something that will still likely be the wrong part! :rofl:

Oh parts counters are brutal normally, but try a non-usa vehicle. I've become very adept at bringing in the exact part number I need for simple stuff like belts. I don't even bother on anything else and just go to the Mud Vendors for everything else.

Not much exciting to report last night other than 5 mins in running the seal puller through my palm. :eek: :mad: Yeah, stupid, and slipped and stabbed through my glove and pretty deep into my palm.

Got the rotors removed, wheel studs out, wheel bearing races removed, hubs cleaned/painted,

Started the reassembly phase,
New races in hubs, new trunion bearing races in
felt/rubber/metal ring on

Basically on to packing the bearings (which will be much more fun with a hole in my palm)
and putting it all back together.

The wind calmed down so it was time to spray some weeds and mow more on old Japanese diesel tractor

B5A60A83-52D3-40EE-9E5D-16AFC0D08D8E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom