Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tire carrier done at the welder. Not the prettiest but it’s a base point for when I get a welder and start making my own. It only cost me helping the old welder fix his GPS computer for his hunting dogs.

all of the weight will rest on the pad half way through so it should be strong enough. Hopefully it’s good enough that it won’t shake/shimmy.

B4E1AB5F-69FB-4E80-AE83-CF4A08787FC2.jpeg

88691D94-731A-4192-BD9F-FA00A87993D1.jpeg

47A5C998-3092-43F0-899A-56318B4F33D6.jpeg

Hit @lcwizard up for a source. He is a super nice guy. I have bought a fair bit from him. Huge fan. He has served the community well.

Toowoomba!

I been there. ;)

I got x2 80’s, rather have two different models of Cruisers than the same. Been pondering a 73/74 for some time now.

Cheers
I hear the further inland the better down undah, but then you run the risk of it being straight up used.
Jealous of you going to Toowoomba, someday

would love to see you build up a 73/74

Love the fuel/odometer info in the thread. Actually handy stuff to see other's sharing. Will post up my own as well... didn't realize how hungry I was to hear it from others till I read through yours.

Love the fuel/odometer info in the thread. Actually handy stuff to see other's sharing. Will post up my own as well... didn't realize how hungry I was to hear it from others till I read through yours.

Yeah I like having that info. Helps to know if somethings really wrong or not. Post up what you got on yours, curious to see what the troopy gets.

If ya need pics on on the cam set up let me know.

Yeah I like having that info. Helps to know if somethings really wrong or not. Post up what you got on yours, curious to see what the troopy gets.

Hello,

From your numbers, a gasoline Cruiser has roughly half the fuel mileage of a diesel one.

In fact, I usually get three quarters of your mileage with mine, which is a gasser, on the highway. It goes down to 60% on city driving.

Thank you for sharing your fuel data.

Juan

Hello,

From your numbers, a gasoline Cruiser has roughly half the fuel mileage of a diesel one.

In fact, I usually get three quarters of your mileage with mine, which is a gasser, on the highway. It goes down to 60% on city driving.

Thank you for sharing your fuel data.

Juan

Thanks Juan,

I’m curious to see how it gets when the engine breaks in. People seem to say mileage and power goes up a little.
most of my modified gas cruisers got 10-12mpg and I usually didn’t keep really good track of it. :D It was too depressing.

Hello,

Many modified gas cruisers I have seen struggle to get 8 mpg. Since you got more mileage than that, I think you did your modifications well.

Weight seems to be an issue to watch closely with modified gas trucks.

Last but not least, it is worth remembering that it is the smiles per mile that counts in a Land Cruiser rather than the miles per gallon...

Juan

Replaced the front shackle bushings today. I still have some for rear of the front springs just didn’t have time to do that today.
Only took around 40mins. Used a high lift on the arb, got lifted to remove the tension, popped out the old broken poly mounts and in with the new rubber mounts.
results: it feels more solid and better riding, it already rides good, but keeps getting better. Will Probabaly do all of them soon, just need the time.

You can see they were quite worn out and the holes badly oblonged.
A17CEB2E-2C4D-44EC-84A2-302F1329967A.jpeg

4B25BD6B-D2F5-4D19-963F-D39F5D03DD50.jpeg

Copilot approved

541B93E4-00B3-4B5A-9ACC-6E0613537780.jpeg

I hear the further inland the better down undah, but then you run the risk of it being straight up used.
Jealous of you going to Toowoomba, someday

would love to see you build up a 73/74

The only reason I went to Toowoomba was to hook up with my buddy Yuri. I stayed at his place for a long weekend and we went wheeling in this.

Australia.jpg

I want a 73 pretty bad, bad enough to sell one of my 80's. I had a 1983 Patrol over tens years ago that we built into this.

Idaho.jpg

Moab.jpg

I have a considerable itch to do that to a 73, albeit not mid-2000's style. ;)

Cheers

The only reason I went to Toowoomba was to hook up with my buddy Yuri. I stayed at his place for a long weekend and we went wheeling in this.

View attachment 2233010

I want a 73 pretty bad, bad enough to sell one of my 80's. I had a 1983 Patrol over tens years ago that we built into this.

View attachment 2233011
View attachment 2233012

I have a considerable itch to do that to a 73, albeit not mid-2000's style. ;)

Cheers
Both of those are sweet. That would be an awesome weekend
As for the 73, do it! I want to watch the build.

Went to the backyard with my son for some trap shooting. Gotta practice in case all those city folk want to take our TP :rofl:

washed it at lunch, just been driving and enjoying it. Thinking about turning up the fuel :cool:

D80A1834-0DB0-4616-BCB6-2DCBBC853DF4.jpeg

Took a few glamour shots for fun.

407D690A-341C-418A-9AB0-F8BC7BA585F6.jpeg

I’m ready to get that top off, but snow on Friday ☹ Would love to get a soft top.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom