Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine looking a little more complete.

enginewp.jpg

The bracket on the right is for the rear end of the rear battery tray. The mount on the left is an exhaust mount.

So this obviously doesn’t fit. I’m assuming it’s another early vs late model thing? Or maybe just a screw up in the kit. I can’t find the right part number so it may be time for the right stuff gasket maker or aviation gasket maker. This is a leak prone area anyway so I want to make sure it’s sealed.

There is also the issue of you have to heat the cover in boiling water so that it goes over the automatic timer bearing.

Any thoughts?

24F85CE4-5CC9-4E05-BFB8-F391A4837769.jpeg

Bracket on the right looks exactly like the support for the PS pump...

View attachment 1934520

.....which looks almost identical to the battery tray bracket but a thicker material. You are correct. I just looked at an intact BJ74.

You have the incorrect gasket.

And that right there is why you are the parts guru :flipoff2::rofl:

Do all 13bt timing covers look like mine? Looks like there is a provision for something else in that blank spot, especially when I look at the 14bt. Which my cam bearings were from a 14bt so...

I will look more but Probabaly just right stuff/fipg.

Nothing real exciting, going a little slow at the moment, but I did find that injection pump stay bracket...

I've literally looked at this bracket 20 times on the shelf this last 2 weeks. I even picked it up and moved it. I think the vacuum switching threw me off, until I was looking at pictures online and saw that same device. I looked at all my old pictures to see if I could get a better idea of what the stay looked like, then it clicked.
:slap:

switching.jpg

Gaining momentum.

I made a decision (hopefully a good one) to use Permatex "the right stuff" for the front timing cover and get that job done. The wrong gasket was in the kit, and I couldn't seem to find the right one. Hopefully that will not come back to bite me.

Bring the the front timing cover to 140°F in heated water. I used a propane turkey fryer pan. Got it heated up enough so that it would fit over the automatic timer bearing. I laid out all the bolts to make sure I knew where they all went as I didn't take this section apart. I also didn't know how the pull adjusters went on, so google to the rescue.

13bttc.jpg

I've left the 1 cylinder injection line off as I'm going to spill time it with a shorter piece of injection pipe. After cold setting the valves, I'll spill time it and then it's time to put on the oil cooler, exhaust manifold, venturi, flywheel/clutch, motor mounts and then time to put it back in the truck. I will probably put the turbo on in the truck, not sure on that.

It's a heavy pig, thats for sure.

VSV hookup. Trying to follow this diagram but it's not completely clear to me. The 2 hoses that come out show it going behind that bracket straight down from the shutoff flap on the intake. My hoses are the same size and side by side.

Can anyone tell me with hose coming out of the VSV valve goes to the shutoff and which goes to the crossover pipe?

13b-t-vacuum-dia-jpg.487297

I looked at my truck but am having a hard time seeing where things go. This is of interest to me as well since after my IP rebuild and putting everything back together my engine won't shut down with turning the key off. I took pictures and thought I had everything correct, clearly I don't.

This thread might help:

EDIT: Just took a closer look at my engine. Hose from crossover goes to boost sensors, not VSV. The forward most hose on the VSV goes to the intake just after the air box. The other hose goes to the shutoff. That's if I have mine hooked up correctly. The thread referenced above suggests this is correct.

HTH

Last edited:
I looked at my truck but am having a hard time seeing where things go. This is of interest to me as well since after my IP rebuild and putting everything back together my engine won't shut down with turning the key off. I took pictures and thought I had everything correct, clearly I don't.

This thread might help:

EDIT: Just took a closer look at my engine. Hose from crossover goes to boost sensors, not VSV. The forward most hose on the VSV goes to the intake just after the air box. The other hose goes to the shutoff. That's if I have mine hooked up correctly. The thread referenced above suggests this is correct.

HTH

x2 with the vacuum line issues

To continue with thread hijack, I just played around with those two hoses (switched them between shutoff and intake) and my engine REALLY wouldn't shut off with the key. Switched them back and it shut down fine. So long story longer, front hose goes to intake, other to shutoff, crossover goes to boost sensors. And I still need to figure out why my engine will almost shut off with the key.

Pseudo-hijack over, sorry @lazylfarm

To continue with thread hijack, I just played around with those two hoses (switched them between shutoff and intake) and my engine REALLY wouldn't shut off with the key. Switched them back and it shut down fine. So long story longer, front hose goes to intake, other to shutoff, crossover goes to boost sensors. And I still need to figure out why my engine will almost shut off with the key.

Pseudo-hijack over, sorry @lazylfarm

Hi jack away. That’s good info. I thought I found a thread that said the same thing, I just can’t find it right now. Worse case it seems pretty easy to swap back if wrong

Failure to shut down with key-off can be indicative of insufficient vacuum. Bad pump or a leak someplace.

bought what I believe was the very last OEM vacuum pump left. That sucker was about 800 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom