For Sale 1987 Toyota FJ60 Velvet Green -- Reposting (Wheels Changed) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser has undergone a two stage restoration since its acquisition in July 2017.

Stage I – Land Cruiser Restorations
All new old man emu soft ride leaf springs, with grease-able shackles, old man emu shocks, and steering stabilizer.

LED headlights, custom LCR black powder coated front bumper, 8000 pound Warn winch, forward facing LED light bar, low profile roof rack, two rear-facing LED backup lights, custom LCR black powder coated rock sliders, custom LCR black powder coated rear bumper with spare tire carrier, and receiver hitch.

All new Loop pile carpet, and soundproof padding. Seats reupholstered with marine-grade vinyl. Palco Dash overlay. Painted custom velvet green using a two-stage base color and clear-coat.

Stage II -- Stoffregen Motorsports
Complete body off mechanical restoration - All systems new or rebuilt
Frame stripped, rust repaired and re-painted chassis black
Engine bay color change to neutral tool grey- Utilitarian yet classy
Body mounts cleaned, aligned, and inspected
Original 4.2 liter, 130 HP engine replaced with 6.2 liter, 430 HP Chevrolet E-ROD LS3 engine – 50 state legal.
Original 4 speed manual transmission replaced with a H55 5 speed transmission with only 3,000 miles on it and a Marks 4wd adapter
Drive shafts completely rebuilt
Both axles and transfer cases completely rebuilt -- axles rebuilt with 3.70 gearing and all new tie rod ends
Steering gear completely rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gears
FJ60 front brakes replaced with new Tacoma calipers, drilled and slotted Tacoma rotors powered by a rebuilt FJ80 booster and new FJ80 master cylinder
Custom 3” mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust system
New champion radiator and SPAL twin fan module
New custom intake tube and air box
All new hoses, lines clamps, bottles, etc.
Stock 20 gal. fuel tank replaced with 38 gal. Man-A-Free tank
New 17” OEM Toyota steel wheels and BFG T/A KO2
New Alpine Bluetooth, Sirius XM satellite stereo
Steering wheel leather wrapped by Craft Customs
Completely refurbished A/C system
Odyssey 34-PC1500T battery

Complete restoration log is available at:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/fj60-e-rod-swap-srmint-stoffregen-motorsports.191527/

Asking price: $85,000

Rationale for anyone interested:

1565805718438.png
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

For a cost comparison, you are close to buying a brand new Mercedes G Wagon triple locked for what you are asking for that 60. There are 40's for sale, which are even more rare, in exceptional claimed condition, that might pull high 30s / low 40's. Often these ultra high end trucks spend huge amounts of time on their respective for sale sections. You cannot get a car loan for that truck like you can for a new car. You are not appealing to the do-it-yourselfer types. You are looking for someone who is either way wealthy (and wants that over a G Wagon at any cost / a collector but usually wants it in original condition) or someone who is willing to pull 100k out of their HELOC and wants that over other 100k exotics. On the last note there, if you look at mean housing prices, mean equity, and where many HELOCs seem to cap out, there seems to be a sort of ceiling around 40-50K range on a lot of vehicles like this that I suspect is driven by the ability to access liquidity through one's property. Thus, you are probably trying to appeal to a collector with a vehicle that doesn't have its original engine which usually doesn't fly.

Having been modifying trucks for 25 years, and I wish this wasn't the case but it hurts my wallet as much as anyone's, I find that when go to sell the truck, mods are worth around half of what you pay for them in parts and your labor is worth maybe 10% of bill rate. It sucks but that seems to hold true.

I hope you can stem your losses but realistically, that truck might.... maybe.... sell for near 50 but more likely high 30's low 40's assuming the economy keeps trucking along. Even at half of what you are asking, you could be facing a for sale effort that could run months and into years.

Good luck.

Here is an example of a comp for pricing....

Here is an example of a comp for pricing....

Are you high?

Nope, just showing you what someone can do with their money and save 90 grand. Or, buy that and put 20 grand into it and save 70 grand... so forth and so on. And when they are done they have an original specimen much more attractive to the collector who is more inclined to spend high dollar on a vehicle.

I guess I was trying to highlight the radical split between the example that started this thread and options actual people might by buy but not everyone is going to pick up on that. I will try to leave less to cognitive thinking the future. My bad.

To each his/her own. From my perspective, if you bought the '84 Cruiser, you'd own a piece of s***. If you put $20k in to it you'd still own a piece of s***. By your logic, I could simply not buy anything and save tons of money. I wanted a FJ60 that looks good, is mechanically perfect, that can cruise at 80 mph and that cn be taken off road. Mine meets all those criteria. And frankly, the only valid comp would be another Matt Stoffregen vehicle.

This is wasted energy discussing IMHO. Anyone can name a price they want. The market always dictates what it goes for. There are people out there with disposable income that have paid prices ordinarily would raise an eyebrow to many. What matters is what they think it is worth to them. It may seem stupid to some of us, so what. Some trade money for time because that is more valuable to them. They would rather get to touring the country in a rig that hits at their key needs, price immaterial. Those with time will always opt to buy low and build a rig. There is no deception here. The mods are legit.

To each his/her own. From my perspective, if you bought the '84 Cruiser, you'd own a piece of s***. If you put $20k in to it you'd still own a piece of s***. By your logic, I could simply not buy anything and save tons of money. I wanted a FJ60 that looks good, is mechanically perfect, that can cruise at 80 mph and that cn be taken off road. Mine meets all those criteria. And frankly, the only valid comp would be another Matt Stoffregen vehicle.

^^This
Enough hate on this rig, it is a perfectly executed modernization of a classic vehicle. I did comment above on optimistic pricing, and there is some truth there on the secondary market. That said, I would pay more for this vehicle than any restored FJ60. Timing isn't right for me, but If this was on the market a year from now, I bet the owner and I could settle on a satisfactory price for both close to where it's listed. Anyone who reads the build thread should know they're getting a bargain.

Nope, just showing you what someone can do with their money and save 90 grand. Or, buy that and put 20 grand into it and save 70 grand... so forth and so on. And when they are done they have an original specimen much more attractive to the collector who is more inclined to spend high dollar on a vehicle.

I guess I was trying to highlight the radical split between the example that started this thread and options actual people might by buy but not everyone is going to pick up on that. I will try to leave less to cognitive thinking the future. My bad.

When one uses the word "comp," one is inferring that it is a "comparable."

A questionable 60 being sold on CL or ebay by a flipper is not a comparable for a big-buck, restomodded/repowered 60.

I greatly prefer original or restored.... don't care for modded anything, really. But you're trying to compare apples to frozen pizzas. That's not a "cognitive" exercise, it's just being silly

This is wasted energy discussing IMHO. Anyone can name a price they want. The market always dictates what it goes for. There are people out there with disposable income that have paid prices ordinarily would raise an eyebrow to many. What matters is what they think it is worth to them. It may seem stupid to some of us, so what. Some trade money for time because that is more valuable to them. They would rather get to touring the country in a rig that hits at their key needs, price immaterial. Those with time will always opt to buy low and build a rig. There is no deception here. The mods are legit.
Thank you, guys. You've restored my faith in human nature.

I told myself that I was not going to comment further in this thread but I can not help myself. This truck is a RestoMod, a Reacher within that category. RestoMods of all varieties are bringing top dollar on the Classic & Custom market. A little research of auction results will show that RestoMods are now out pacing nut and bolt restorations by a good bit, across the market.

This truck has broad appeal to a great many buyers out there and this is not the place to advertise it IMHO. Far too many critics here that still have not realized that the days of getting a world class 4X4 on the cheap are over. 40 prices were mentioned by someone above, although 40s still bring a premium, old school four door SUVs with modern power and amenities are hot. Try to by a similar age Cherokee built the same way and see how far your $50K gets you.

If I were the seller, I'd hold out for a while if not in a hurry. There is someone out there that this will just trip their trigger, it tripped the sellers! Matt is a fine builder with a rock solid reputation, the right buyer will also recognize that as they will have done their homework.

It's a great rig and Matt's work is solid. The only thing I see is the choice of gearing. Why 3.70? Your choices or Matt's? Either way GLWS!

I BELIEVE it was Matt's recommendation to retain the 3.70 so that we didn't need to redo the front axle differential. Also, the five speed transmission keeps RPMs relatively low. That said, I only get arfounf 11 to 11.5 MPG around town. One other issue is that 1st gear is too low and I'm not really comfortable starting out in 2nd.

I do always love these posts. Dude wants premium for his resto and tire kickers say it’s insane and get actually mad about it. It’s a tale as old as time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom