1987 European LJ70 - Cummins R2.8 Engine Swap Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone!

I've been on here for the past few years (joined back in July 2020), but haven't really posted too much - wanted to share the process of my 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser LJ70 (European model) engine swap (2L-T) to a Cummins R2.8 in the first half of 2022 (between January in June 2022).

I purchased my LJ70 from Cars and Bids in July 2020. The car had already been imported from Europe and sold in an auction on Bring A Trailer - it was purchased new in Germany in 1987, before making its way to Spain before import.

These European Model LJ70s come with an 2LT 2.4L turbo diesel engine, and when I purchased my car, it was said that the odometer showed accurate mileage around 66k miles.

I had the car inspected by Mudrak right after purchase - and Gary did not believe those miles and had believed that someone probably rolled back the kilometer counter on my dash.

Lots of unexpected repairs happened in the first 6 months of ownership, as I drove the car consistently at highway speeds , probably putting a decent amount of stress on the old engine.

After going overseas for work for a few months , in June 2021 - after the car being started occasionally, I started to experience rod knock - and knew this meant the death of the engine.

I had seen some examples of Cummins R2.8 engine swaps - with this one being the most attractive by Well Sorted Automotive.

Inspired by this video - I decided to order the crate engine + bell housing adapter from Quick Draw Performance, along with universal engine mounts - thanks for the advice @Dpiro34 in the initial purchases!

Engine and Adapter - Cummins R2.8 Crate engine & Toyota R151 Adapter Kit - https://quickdrawbrand.com/cummins/engine-and-adapter-cummins-r2-8-crate-engine-toyota-r151-adapter-kit/

The kit comes with most of what you need - except for the cooling package - which I mirrored mainly off the build from Well Sorted Automotive (Mishimoto Radiator + Griffin Radiator).

I trusted a friend - Juan Ortiz - who I’ve served with in the Air Force with to do the build over three months - his family business is trucking so he had a lot of experience on the side wrenching on diesel engines.

Here are some pictures of the build - he also was kind enough to help me replace my suspension with Dobinson’s 4x4 and replace all the old bushings in the car.

He takes a lot of pride in his work and works on all types of off-road vehicles as a hobby, this is the first time for him working on a Land Cruiser....he is based out of Southern California but is open to taking on more work - feel free to direct message me if you would like his contact information.

Old Engine in the Engine Bay:
OldEngineinEngineBay.jpg

Engine Removed:
OriginalEngineRemovedfromBay.jpg

Cummins R2.8 on a Crane:

Cummins_Crane.jpg

Cummins R2.8 being placed into the Engine Bay:

CumminsPlacedIntoEngineBay.jpg

Engine Bay with Cooling System sorted out:

CoolingSystem.jpg

I'll attach more final photos on the next post!
---

I'm happy to answer any technical questions on parts / fitment / etc. if anyone else is considering an R2.8 conversion.

Interested to hear of the results, especially mpg which I will bet will pass 30mpg.
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

So coldtaco - this build was completed last year in June - just taken me forever to post on here about it :)

Here are some professional / finished photos of the build done by my friend Juan Ortiz:
LJ70Photos - Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SRXEKIgaJ8APgJvGN0jzf-3c6FlfnWL_?usp=sharing

So MPG wise - on the highway I get about 19-21 mpg unfortunately due to my gearing:

-----
From Wikipedia for my R150 transmission:
Toyota R transmission - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_transmission

Ratios:
  • First Gear: 3.830:1
  • Second Gear: 2.062:1
  • Third Gear: 1.436:1
  • Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.838:1
  • Reverse Gear 4.220:1
-----

Trying to find a taller 5th (Overdrive) gear - since when I'm cruising right about 65-70 mph - I'm at around 2800 - 2900 rpm, and my coolant temperature is roughly between 180-185F at that point with my cooling package and 33 inch tires.

The Cummins R2.8 will automatically throw a warning at 224F and a stop engine light at 235F - thankfully I have not experienced that yet!

A Technical Lead at Cummins told me that she had her R2.8 build is running 2700 rpm at 70 mph, which is higher than she would like - but she is targeting 2000-2400 rpm.

If anyone has ideas on where to get a taller 5th gear - please do let me know!

I e-mailed Marks 4WD on this last July, since they offer a taller gear for the R151F - they told me they do not have something out of the box for the R150F.
5th Gear Overdrive Ratio, Toyota LandCruiser-Hilux | Marks 4WD - https://www.marks4wd.com/33428-hzjmod.html

Open to any recommendations here, and happy to answer any questions about this build!

Very nice build, well done!

I've installed a taller 5th gear from the Jeep AX15 box, not as big of a difference as the Marks one but decreased my highway revs by ~200rpm. Just needs some machining done on the main (smaller) gear, more info on my build thread :

You could install the R452 fifth gear from the Dyna. It will bump you up to about .70. I've done a few of them.

Last edited:
@malteser and @cruisermatt thank you so much for your responses!

@cruisermatt - when I was googling around last year - I did see multiple threads on this...

From what it seems like - these are the list of parts I would need to obtain:
- 33046-25030 and 33336-25030 (R452 Dyna)?
- 33394-35040 KEY, SYNCHROMESH SHIFTING, NO.3 x3
- 90364-30009 Split BEARING (FOR COUNTER 5TH GEAR)
- 33369-35011 RING, SYNCHRONIZER, NO.3
- 33392-14020 FASTENER big spring for dogs x2
- 33395-35041 GEAR hub ring
- 33318-35050 GEAR counter shaft end

Pulled this from reading this thread, specifically from user "Bad Luck":
Toyota-4Runner.org - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/225296-has-anyone-done-5th-gear-swap.html

I would probably need to go to my local mechanic to do this since I would not feel comfortable doing it myself, @cruisermatt would how many RPMs do you think I could shave off in 5th gear at 70mph?

I guess ratio-wise would that put me down in between 2100 - 2300 rpm?

Thanks so much in advance for the help!

well you would go from .83 to .7. so 13% less then whatever it is at now.

I’ve done the R452 5th gear swap, it moved my cruising rpm from about 3200 to 2650 at 70mph. One thing to note: unless I’m mistaken the early version of the Dyna gears is NLA, so you’ll need to use the later version that takes the 30mm bearing and countershaft instead of the 28mm countershaft. This requires most of the internals of the transmission to be changed out to 1996+ components and takes a different transfer adapter from the 1999+ 70 1HZ powered 70 series.

Second that. That is why I ditched the R452 plan, couldn't find the counter gear.

@LJ70Evolution I'm not super familiar with Prado running gear, isn't it the same as Hilux/Pickup/4runner in this vintage? I don't know what gears are in the diffs, but wondering why not toy with regearing and possibly rubber overdrive?

Different engines, I know, but I had a 4BT powered Cruiser on 37s and 3.73s with the H55F trans and it cruised at 1900 RPMs and got 25mpg on the freeway. I'm currently in the process of buying back my BJ74 which had factory 4.11s. I moved it up to a 35x10.50 which combined with the application of a little more boost netted me 2mpg and allows it to travel comfortably at freeway speeds at around 2400 RPM. Now it needs lower t case gears for the trail.

I know these aren't apples to apples but having tinkered with a lot of manual trans diesels, my experience is that gears and tires can really improve on road drivability. Longer gears let the turbo spool, diesels tend to love to eat at low RPMs and obviously cruising on US highways requires taller gears than poking around Japan.

It probably has 4.88 diffs. Find someone who wants to swap (KZJ78 has 4.3 for example). Or just put bigger tires on! :) I like my rpms with 4.88 diffs and 35" tires!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom