1985 FJ60 Build "Clarice" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello - long time lurker, but finally an owner as of April 2020. After a long search, I finally found her 5 hours away. My buddy and I made the drive and towed her home.
LC2.jpg

I tackled the engine first:
-replaced all vacuum lines
-replaced any hose I could (lots of cracked hoses)
-new thermostat, housing, and gasket
-new water pump and gasket
-new radiator (old one leaked)
- Rebuild carb
-Steering pump mount for Saginaw pump (Thanks Georg!)
-replaced oil pan gasket
- oil change - new oil filter
- cleaned valve cover and replaced the seal
- stripped and repainted the air filter housing - new air filter
- replace fuel lines
- updated A/C
- new belts
- new spark plugs, wires, distro cap, and rotor
-carb fan wasn't working - was not grounded properly
-Stainless Steel battery tray
-cleaned the engine compartment

LC3.jpg
LC4.jpg

More recently I have added the windshield washer reservoir and lines/sprayer as well as the mod for the hood hinges.
I have new battery cables from Fourrunner, but have not had time to install them.

LC11.jpg

Last edited:
After the engine got some love, I moved to the Suspension and steering:
- 2.4 in OME lift (Med in front Heavy in rear)
- rebuilt knuckles
- rebuilt hubs
- rebuilt brakes
- new bearings and seals in both axles
- gaskets replaced
- steel brake lines
- new TREs

LC5.jpg

LC6.jpg

LC7.jpg
LC8.jpg

LC10.jpg

I'm not very good at the picture taking thing, usually forgetting to take any pictures at all.

Right now I have the driveshafts out for rebalancing and new U-joints due to vibrations after 55 mph. I have been working on tuning the engine as well. Tested compression, set timing, and performed a dropdown test on the carb. with a new choke cable, cold starts are no longer an issue as she starts up great.

I have noticed a "clicking" though and not all the time, seems to go away after the engine warms up, but I took a video just to see if anyone with more experience hears anything unusual.

Overall I love this truck. I have had so much fun working on it the past few months and the information on this site is invaluable. I have quite a bit of work left. So far on the list:

Rebuild transfer case
H55F
PAINT!!
new carpet - current carpet falls apart if you look at it too long.
Tuffy console
plus many more!!

The seats are in good condition, just need to be clean. May replace with something that provides more support.
Then I can add the fun stuff.

LC12.jpg
LC13.jpg

Tires are Toyo Open Country AT III 265/75-16
Wheels are Wheel Vintiques Series 12 Smoothies 16x8 - still need paint

Nice work here. You really got after it.

Hard to truly evaluate an engine sound via video, because it depends so much on whatever device is recording, and where you're at - but yours sounds pretty normal to me. Like an industrial sewing machine. The steady 19 on the vac gauge is a good thing.

I have those same wheels in the same size. Like them a lot. I think I painted them with Toyota Forklift paint, which is a medium gray.

I'd say valves but your vacuum looks solid. Since the tick exists when cold, it could be exhaust leak and/or a loose valve. I'd do a valve adjustment just to check and see what you're working with if you haven't already. What weight oil? Out of curiosity, did you check your timing at idle with vacuum advance hoses removed? I feel like I hear a vac leak but again, vac looks solid. I'd be curious what it all looks/sounds like when warm.

Great work so far, you're doing great.

really admire you guys that dive in and tackle the work yourselves. Amazing!

I know you don't have to get approved to adopt a 60 like you do a dog but that ol' girl went to a damn fine home. Killer work!

Thanks guys, I've had a lot of fun working on her. Weather permitting, this weekend I'll run through some of the suggestions mentioned.
Future updates may be slow as I am getting to the more pricey projects.

Speaking of dogs, here is my assistant. She def thinks the truck is hers.

LC14.jpg

Really nice work. What paint did you use on the frame & axles? Looks good.

I second what mattressking said about “I thought I heard a vacuum leak.” Must be the air from the fan hitting the microphone or something.

Look forward to seeing more progress!

Finally got the driveshafts back from the shop, new u-joints, and rebalanced:

LC16.jpg

Also here is the paint I used on the axles and frame:
LC17.jpg

Some updates to the build. While chasing a ticking noise, I decided to de-smog and clean up the engine some. Replaced the head gasket, and cleaned up the cylinder head.

1a.PNG

2a.PNG

3a.PNG

4a.PNG

5a.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom