1982 brake caliper rebuild questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple of years ago I got reman calipers from autozone. I haven't driven it yet, but I'm sure there fine. I just bled them last week.

I have no problem rebuilding mine, but at least on of the pistons has a little bit of pitting. Is there a source for those?
1646832279104.png

I could possibly turn it down, but I don't know what the minimum tolerance is for the outer diameter.

I'll just rebuild them rather than core 'em. Miss Scarlet only has 111K and has been well taken care of. Nothing but time on my hands. Really no different than the old '65 Spitfire except I'm in a garage rather than a parking lot at the fraternity house!

I was in the boat a while back, I have a set of 82 fj40 axles I want to install in a fj45lv. Two thoughts came to mind over debating about rebuilding them, first they seem easy to rebuild but the integrity of the parts being sold other than Toyota are not 100% guaranteed to last. The other is not an issue but rather a flash back when I was a kid helping my Dad rebuild his brake master clinder on his 79 ford truck that he once bought new. We honed and installed the kit and bleeded the brake system...all was well until a couple of months later I see him pump the brake pedal. And having failing brakes and pumping the brake pedal to get them to work as an extra step means nothing for a kid it was not a big deal but looking back as an adult it's a big deal when you thinkinganout all the the "what ifs"...lol. So I learned that just because you can does mean you should. Sorry not what you wanted to hear but I would loved to see the process of the rebuild.

I'll repeat what some of the other guys on this thread have said. Rebuilding them is super easy! I was apprehensive at first, had never done it and was a bit scared considering they are the brakes! But it really only took me an hour or so and you can't really muck it up. All you need is a compressor.

I've rebuilt my BJ42 front calipers and I did my FZJ80 2 weeks ago, they are both pretty much the same.
There is heaps of YouTube videos on it. I was able to get a genuine rebuild kit for the 80 from Toyota. I bought Terrain Tamer for the 40.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the pitting on the pistons. Mine were pretty much the same and they worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom