1982 brake caliper rebuild questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I noticed the Miss Scarlet is leaking brake fluid on both front brakes. I'm 100% sure it is time for a caliper rebuild. She has 111K miles on her. I put new pads on four years ago. Brakes are working fine just have the leak. Everything is stock, original.

Last and only time I did a caliper rebuild was in the early 1970s on my Triumph Spitfire. I remember it wasn't brain surgery. I have a FJ40 shop manual and found a YouTube video from a guy down under showing how to rebuild the calipers on a FJ40. Pretty complete video. Shows him using grease on o-rings. What kind do I use?

Would appreciate additional video links or tips before diving in. I found the rebuild kit on Cruiser Corp. So, I'm good there.

Brake fluid should be the only lubricant on any brake cylinder parts.

X2 to above, for me it is not worth the hassle versus replacing

Remanufactured from Toyota are about $55 each. Personally I'd go that route. But not what you asked.
Ok that sounds darn good to me. Now for the dumb question... Does that price include the pads?

No it doesn’t in clued pads and that’s after core charge.

rebuilt OEM FJ40 caliper part numbers- 47730-60021-84 and 47750-60021-84. Order them at your favorite Toyota dealer’s online store, when they email you they’re ready for pickup take your old calipers with for exchange.

Rebuilding is fun and quite easy. Having a compressor to blow out the cylinders is helpful but not necessary. I recommend digging in and learning the process vs paying for new. To each their own but you will have a better understanding of your brake system and feel a lot of accomplishment if you DIY this process.

5CD9C837-3356-4ADB-8553-35045ED705AE.jpeg
86EB4E8F-E686-4FEC-9AAA-DD3753F4DA41.jpeg
BE788909-C6D0-48C4-9DA0-E9E8CEEBC586.jpeg
F49783E2-8D8A-419E-B0A5-DB98C0268686.jpeg
C7E22790-7BFB-445B-98DA-2262B3B58241.jpeg

Rebuilding them is one of those jobs you fear until you are halfway into the first one and realize you should’ve done it sooner

rebuilt OEM FJ40 caliper part numbers- 47730-60021-84 and 47750-60021-84. Order them at your favorite Toyota dealer’s online store, when they email you they’re ready for pickup take your old calipers with for exchange.
I contacted my toyota dealer with these part numbers and they say they are not available. Should I be going somewhere other than the dealer?

I contacted my toyota dealer with these part numbers and they say they are not available. Should I be going somewhere other than the dealer?
Try their online store and see if they’re available that way. Or try the next closest dealer. If you’re unaware, prices are typically a lot cheaper at / on a dealer’s order online store. The reasoning for working with the nearest dealer is to side step the shipping / core return charges by going there in person.

Try their online store and see if they’re available that way. Or try the next closest dealer. If you’re unaware, prices are typically a lot cheaper at / on a dealer’s order online store. The reasoning for working with the nearest dealer is to side step the shipping / core return charges by going there in person.
This is what I get on a dealers website:
1646775437617.png

Same thing for both part numbers.

This is on the McGeorge website that @thorslc1977 suggested. Same deal on my local Toyota dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom