1979 FJ40 A/C Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just whip out the cut-off wheel!

IMG_5823.JPG

One advantage of that unit is the knobs are on the unit. No need to drill or wire in the dash.

That was one of the important aspects of that unit for me .

Miss Scarlet has a 1983 Customatic Toyota after market that was installed in 1983 by the original owner. His daughter said the aftermarket was the result of a sweltering father/daughter trip to Daytona. This Customatic is exactly like the one that was a dealer add on in our 1978 FJ40 purchased new. Customatic was based in Ft. Worth. They made add on A/C units for many models foreign and domestic. For authenticity sake you might try salvage yards to locate the interior box and cobble together the rest of the system. The best part of this system is the four vents that spreads out the air distribution.

DSC03652small.jpg

The old type units freeze the passenger but suck overall.

Get a Vintage Air unit and if you are worried about resale just retain all the old stuff.

Get it where you can and will use it. That’s worth $ in itself

The old type units freeze the passenger but suck overall.

Yep. I have the dealer installed ND unit in mine. Thought I'd use is alot more than I do but I rarely use it. Occassionally turn it on to keep the passenger happy until their knees are too cold.

Yep. I have the dealer installed ND unit in mine. Thought I'd use is alot more than I do but I rarely use it. Occassionally turn it on to keep the passenger happy until their knees are too cold.

Working on putting together something that would look close to stock. Not concerned about the passenger as rarely have one. In Arizona only a couple of months a A/C isn't needed. While I have a rear heater doubt I need it as much as Montana even in Arizona's high country.

A couple of Aussies I've dealth with locating parts do refer to the factory A/C as knee freezer.

The vents look very clean! Is there still space for the stock radio above the evaporator or would the hoses and defrost outlet interfere with the radio. what did you use to cut through the lower dash panels

No, there's no room for a stock radio. There's barely room for the Carling switches and I'm having a buddy cut me a little 1/2" spacer/bezel to push the switches out just a tad so it's not quite so tight in there.

I have this evaporator/blower unit that takes the place of the existing heater duct. Distributes air pretty well out of the center vent and works well to defog the windshield.

1590575525462.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom