1978 FJ40, Fuel Line/Leak Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

So, I noticed recently when I park my 40 in the driveway, which is at a slant, I get a fuel leak onto my driveway. When the vehicle is parked on flat pavement/ground, there are no leaks. Thoughts on what may be the culprit?

Thanks!

which way is the slant? You should be able to look under the truck and see where it's wet, and trace back to the source--

I usually park the rig facing down hill. With the ass end up and the nose down. I'm going to put her back on the slant tomorrow and trace the source a little better. Was hoping for the "oh hell, I had that same problem" answer ahahah.

The mattressking abides.

The good news is that fuel doesn’t take a complicated, mysterious path through your truck. It’ll only leak from a handful of places, which are generally visible and not very hard to repair. Hopefully the inside of your truck doesn’t reek of gas after it’s been sitting. That would be a pain, but a good clue that your tank is leaking,

If you don't see it coming from your lines, it might be the tank itself. I had pinholes midway up the tank along the seem that would leak at an angle.

While you’re at it, sniff your dipstick. A failing fuel pump could be putting as much fuel in the crankcase as leaks on the ground. I drained 11 quarts of soup out of a client’s engine once. Engine bearings were toast.

Surprised no one else mentioned this possibility. It’s pretty well known.

Another question, how much tilt ? If the sending unit is up front on tank and tank is full I would go there first.

Check the weep hole on the bottom of your fuel pump, it will leak prior to pump failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom