1978 FJ40 gas line check valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1978 FJ40 I replaced all fuel lines and have a new metal gas tank. I'm getting a strong gas smell inside the cab. I noticed 75-77 cruisers have an inline check valve going from the tank to the charcoal canister. But I do not see that for the 78's. Is this something I can add that might help with the gas smell? I do have the original charcoal canister still hooked up.

I have a 76 with the check valve, but don't know about the 78 model.

I assume you also replaced the 3 lines to the vapor separator with the fuel lines. If not, you should and confirm there are no cracks in the separator itself. The next thing I would do is check to see that there's some vacuum pulling from the hose in the cab to the canister. Mine uses a vacuum control valve, so I have to rev it up a bit to get vacuum pull. Other models use temperature based control valves, I think. So maybe make sure it's warmed up and revved up when you check for vacuum.

I replaced the entire hard line from the cab to the firewall because the old one had rusted through. Check that as well.

Another typical problem is the fuel sender gasket and screws. Make sure they're snug, but don't strip them out!

Yes, I've replaced all the fuel lines to the separator and the separator itself, I also put a new fuel cap. Maybe if I put an inline check valve it will help but don't see that on the schematics for the 1978 fuel system.

I have a 1978 FJ40 I replaced all fuel lines and have a new metal gas tank. I'm getting a strong gas smell inside the cab. I noticed 75-77 cruisers have an inline check valve going from the tank to the charcoal canister. But I do not see that for the 78's. Is this something I can add that might help with the gas smell? I do have the original charcoal canister still hooked up.
Do you have the gas vapor recovery stuff still in place?

Yes everything else is stock.
Check to see that the "outer vent control" a valve on top of the charcoal canister is working. pull the plug and check with a meter. Otherwise it might be that your charcoal canister is no bueno.

Yes everything else is stock.
If you get a chance, post up some pics of your fuel separator and fuel and vapor lines in that area. Be sure to check the nipples on the plastic fuel separator, they can tend to crack and not really show.....ask me how I know, see below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom