1977 AMP Gauge and Starting Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still working on my 10 year (so far) refresh project. If I connect both amp gauge wires together (bypassing the gauge) the motor fires right up. If I hook up the two wires to the gauge the motor will not crank and the amp gauge needle buries to discharge. The gauge also started to smoke when the key was held in the crank position. I removed the gauge to inspect. It still has continuity and shows about .4 to .5 ohms across the posts. But it looks pretty toasted. Battery is new and fully charged. Alternator is an internal regulated unit with Coolerman adapter harness. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
thanks

Picture_20231209091243.jpg

Picture_20231209091230.jpg

Picture_20231209091210.jpg

Was this the original gauge?
There are two types - one with integral shunt, and one which needs an external shunt.

Fitting the wrong one results in smoke.

This is a later model amp gauge. Yours looks a little burnt. On thing you didn't say was what year your land cruiser is. If you have a pre 79 truck this is not the right gauge.

Here is one of mine.

16917539708481966852441050702443.jpg

Sorry I didn't mention it is a '77. When I took position it had a cobbled-up '79 wiring harness, including the fuse panel. I bet this is the reason. Looks like I need to source an earlier gauge. Thanks for the info.

Sorry I didn't mention it is a '77. When I took position it had a cobbled-up '79 wiring harness, including the fuse panel. I bet this is the reason. Looks like I need to source an earlier gauge. Thanks for the info.
Yes, or live on the edge without an ammeter.

You can alternately fit an indicator inline with the alternator field wire to give you a charge warning light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom