1976 2F Carb Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for insight on carb options for a 1976 2F engine.

It came with a Holley 2 bbl, but have heard horror stories for that carb. Most likely won't be doing too heavy of off-road use so not worried about fuel flow for steep ascents / descents.

I know that Aisin was the OEM carb, but getting one rebuilt correct is the problem. I have also heard of others doing good with Weber carb.

Any thoughts or insights would be helpful.

ALSO, MOST OF THE AISIN CARBS THAT I AM SEEING ARE FOR 20R AND 22R ENGINES. IS ONE PREFERABLE OVER THE OTHER FOR THE 2F FJ40 ENGINE? ARE THERE ANY MODS THAT WOULD BE NEEDED FOR CHOOSING ONE OVER THE OTHER?

Last edited:
Weber 38 for me on my 1976 also, no problems.

I am using one of City Racers carburetors on my 2F and am very satisfied with its performance.

Bought my 77 with the same carb. I fiddled with it for a few of years then switched to a Webber 38 and fiddled with it for a few more years. I finally bit the bullet and decided to go back stock and started accumulating everything I would need to get the job done. Ended up with a carb from a 76 that I learned how to rebuilt and finally took the plunge. The journey was not as smooth as I would have hoped but years later I can say it was worth the effort. Once I got everything sorted out the truck has been a dependable joy to drive. I'm probably due for another carb rebuild but I'll wait until fall after it cools off first.

Bought my 77 with the same carb. I fiddled with it for a few of years then switched to a Webber 38 and fiddled with it for a few more years. I finally bit the bullet and decided to go back stock and started accumulating everything I would need to get the job done. Ended up with a carb from a 76 that I learned how to rebuilt and finally took the plunge. The journey was not as smooth as I would have hoped but years later I can say it was worth the effort. Once I got everything sorted out the truck has been a dependable joy to drive. I'm probably due for another carb rebuild but I'll wait until fall after it cools off first.

Your call, I was a complete beginner when I did mine. Made a couple of mistakes but came away with a pretty decent understanding of how these things work.

Looking for insight on carb options for a 1976 2F engine.

It came with a Holley 2 bbl, but have heard horror stories for that carb. Most likely won't be doing too heavy of off-road use so not worried about fuel flow for steep ascents / descents.

I know that Aisin was the OEM carb, but getting one rebuilt correct is the problem. I have also heard of others doing good with Weber carb.

Any thoughts or insights would be helpful.

ALSO, MOST OF THE AISIN CARBS THAT I AM SEEING ARE FOR 20R AND 22R ENGINES. IS ONE PREFERABLE OVER THE OTHER FOR THE 2F FJ40 ENGINE? ARE THERE ANY MODS THAT WOULD BE NEEDED FOR CHOOSING ONE OVER THE OTHER?
I got a cheap Chinese version off eBay and have been surprisingly satisfied with the quality and performance on my 76.

The Chinese copies of the stock carb work good. Get them from Trollhole or City Racer. No tuning required, plug and play if you still have the stock rod linkage.

Or find an OEM Aisin and have it rebuilt, tested and tuned by Jim C or Mark at Marks offroad, both can be found on MUD.

Had to make a pin with set screw to hold the end of the choke cable and change electrical Conn for idle solenoid but that was all. No tuning. Have not driven enough to determine a mpg.
From what I see, the city racer carb is Japanese at 295$. I paid 70 w/free ship for Chinese version, which places like parts geek etc sell for 150+. I planned to try it out at least until I can get the original rebuilt.

just installed a CityRacer in my '78 and so far it runs great. It came recommended and I would recommend. Compared to the cost of an OEM its a big savings as well.

Trollhole or City Racer are both good choices - have you considered Holly Sniper? I have a Trollhole for years now and no issues, but if I was changing carbs, I would consider the sniper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom